Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    PC or MAC Tips and/or Hints

I saw an interesting seminar the other day that gave 10 helpful tips for the PC - unfortunately, I can only remember a couple.

> When web browsing, use the space bar to scroll down (page down), and hold the shift key and press space bar to page up. That's better than using the arrow keys or the mouse scroll wheel.

> To delete a word in your text, you don't have to highlight it by left click, hold and drag the cursor then hit the delete key. Just click anywhere within the word, it will highlight, and instead of deleting it, just type over it.

> I wish I could remember more at this time, but more will come - what are your favorites?

These may not work exactly as written depending on your OS or application.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Re: PC or MAC Tips and/or Hints

Thanks Zootech. This thread will help all of the consortium. try the windows key while holding it down and go thru the keyboard and see all the shortcuts that come up......
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

'CTRL +F' opens a dialog box to search for words/phrases on web pages and most document programs.
    I just learned this recently from one of my customers.
    So simple and useful

just one copy?? 500+ Posts

Win 7. The small vertical rectangle, bottom right of screen is the old show desktop feature.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Senior Tech 100+ Posts neergish's Avatar
    A little bit to the left of the centre of the known universe.

windows key + R is a short cut to "run", a quick way to get to where you need put "cmd".
    (I was taught this my some friendly people from "windows" who rang me at home late one night to tell me my computer was full of viruses)

when using ping at the command prompt use the -t switch to get a continuous ping
    (very handy as you can get an over the shoulder customer who just wants to help to watch this for you, while you return to your service vehicle and smash your head against the dash to distract you from the earge to strangle said customer. ) ctrl +c stops the pings

type "=rand(10,10)" into a blank "Word" document and you will get a page or so of text so you can prove a printer is working to a customer when a windows test page just isn't enough (enlarge the numbers and thus pages printed to equal the level of irritation the customer is giving you)
    Last edited by neergish; 10-16-2013 at 05:58 AM.
    "See if you can rent a spring hook and a phillips screwdriver it will make your life that much easier..."

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

When you're surfing the web and you want to type in an address. Hit Alt and the D key to highlight the entire URL bar, and you can delete the old address easier.

Very useful as lots of web sites now have long urls and such.

Holding 'CTRL' on windows PC's while clicking on a link to another website/page will open that link in a new tab.
    Handy when I want to continue surfing a page when I come across an interesting link to look at.

Typing in 'netstat' in command prompt will list active connections. Haven't figured out how that is useful for me yet, but one day maybe.
    Typing 'net config workstation' will, list the correct hostname/computername, and username of a PC. (Good for when you are trying to set up scan-to-smb.)

I've been in a situation where I was getting login error. The username (which is usually found by hitting the windows button and the first soft button under the picture) which was 'user' turned out to be incorrect. Using 'net config workstation' told me that the correct username was 'usr'

Quote Originally Posted by neergish View Post

type "=rand(10,10)" into a blank "Word" document and you will get a page or so of text so you can prove a printer is working to a customer when a windows test page just isn't enough (enlarge the numbers and thus pages printed to equal the level of irritation the customer is giving you)
    I believe the number in brackets is the amount of paragraphs. 9 seems to fill one page.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrag View Post
    Holding 'CTRL' on windows PC's while clicking on a link to another website/page will open that link in a new tab.
    Handy when I want to continue surfing a page when I come across an interesting link to look at.

Also if you are using a mouse with a scroll wheel in between the 2 buttons, depressing this while on a link opens the page in new tab too.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Similarly to the Wkey + R activating the Run command, Wkey + E will open a new explorer window (not to be confused with internet exploder). Wkey + L will lock the pc and bring it to the user screen assuming the shortcut has not been disabled. Wkey + M will return you to your main desktop with all windows minimized.

Ctrl + moving mouse wheel up or down will enlarge all text on a page akin to the zoom in/out buttons in View. Shift + mouse wheel up or down will move a browser page forward or back, respectively.

Ctrl + Alt + directional key (up, down, left, right) will rotate the desktop in the relative direction pressed. It's more of a software feature for some graphics cards than a hardware feature, so some monitors may not respond to it. If your customers ever call up and say "My screen is upside down! Help!", that would be the way to fix it.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?