Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Amazing Toner Pirate Speed

Re: Amazing Toner Pirate Speed

(I remember this episode well, because it was the first time I heard the most hated sentence ever uttered by operators: "It's all just black powder.". )

And now I get "can't we re-use that waste toner" which is bad enough on a B/W let alone on a Colour machine!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Tested some pirate toner on a KM 2550ci, worked ok for 10 copies then went home. Following day the machine said add toner, well what do you do ? take it out and shake the bottle? heard a click when I removed three of them and toner emptied over the open front door.

Shutter on toner bottle had broken off on three of four cartridges and was stuck inside machine!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamut View Post
    (I remember this episode well, because it was the first time I heard the most hated sentence ever uttered by operators: "It's all just black powder.". )

And now I get "can't we re-use that waste toner" which is bad enough on a B/W let alone on a Colour machine!
    I've had this conversation before with an enduser. The hard part for me is to separate all the microscopic yellow particles from all the microscopic magenta particles, from all the microscopic cyan particles, from all the microscopic black particles. How were you planning on doing that? Or maybe we could just stir them all up and make brown copies? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    Tested some pirate toner on a KM 2550ci, worked ok for 10 copies then went home. Following day the machine said add toner, well what do you do ? take it out and shake the bottle? heard a click when I removed three of them and toner emptied over the open front door.

Shutter on toner bottle had broken off on three of four cartridges and was stuck inside machine!
    The OEM cartridges do that too. The behavior that causes it is when the enduser takes out the cartridge to look at it or shakes it, than puts it back in, then takes it out, then puts it back in. If you just leave the cartridge in there until it's empty and remove it once, it works just fine.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

There are programs that can be installed on networks and it will find every printer and copier on a network and report back to company. So it could be another vendor, that shares the same client as you.

I have installed software that picked up the different networks within a company's WAN and reported back the printers and copiers from different sites. I would delete the IP schemes that would apply to locations that I did not service, but I am sure there are vendors that would not and try to pick up additional toner sales.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

There are programs that can be installed on networks
    Installing on Customers network???

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Installing on Customers network???
    Yep. We use one called print audit. We use it to notify us when the machines we service are low on toner, and to send us meter readings.

It's more of a pain in the a*se than anything else.

EDIT: We ask permission first.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Intall on network so you can see all printing devices and it reports back to you. Yes we ask peemission and like Phrag I think it is a nuisance. If there is a message, like low toner, program will email you daily.

Quote Originally Posted by MHeon71 View Post
    Intall on network so you can see all printing devices and it reports back to you. Yes we ask peemission and like Phrag I think it is a nuisance. If there is a message, like low toner, program will email you daily.
    It's only a nuisance when, under some circumstances, it's installed on a desktop PC, or laptop (where the is no local server) and the customer either takes it home, turn it off while they are on holidays, or changes the computer out, the Print Audit server reports stale data from that client, and then we have to figure out why.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The sales department tries to get the customer to install a programme called "Fleet" its supposed to monitor all the devices we have installed but it crawls around the customers network and gives us a report on all the customers print devices. Our salesmen think it is a very good tool for when they put together print management packages for the client.
    How ever most of the smart IT manages tell them to piss off as they don't want company info leaving their control but as we know a lot of IT mangers arn't as smart as they like to think they are and willing let us in.
    I presume its through loop holes like that is where the pirates get their info from.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.