Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Mailing Equipment...?

My company has recently decided to sell mailing equipment along with our MFP line.
    I got to play with a few today and mechanically, there is nothing to it. And in typical sales fashion, they have sold several units BEFORE I had even seen or touched one. Or, as I like to call this "cart before the horse" situation, Monday.
    Knowing that your average customer can have issues with a sealed,hardened plastic canister of dry toner, I cringe at the thought of liquid ink and sealing fluid used in these machines.

I was curious if anyone here has experience with these machines? Martin and Yale and FP mailing system, as well as a few Pitney Bowes.

Thanx in advance

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Mailing Equipment...?

What an experience you are in for.
    Seems as if ever customer will give the new employee the mail job because according to them it is easy.
    The customer will think you work for P.O. and expect you to know EVERY postal regulation
    Do be sure and understand the difference between Letter, large Envelope and Package as you will get call saying our mail is being returned or customer is receiving mail postage due must be something wrong with our scale.
    When the problems is they have may have selected right class but wrong classification for item.
    Like any other machine it still is not IO proof ( Idiot Operator )

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Mailing Equipment...?

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    My company has recently decided to sell mailing equipment along with our MFP line.
    I got to play with a few today and mechanically, there is nothing to it. And in typical sales fashion, they have sold several units BEFORE I had even seen or touched one. Or, as I like to call this "cart before the horse" situation, Monday.
    Knowing that your average customer can have issues with a sealed,hardened plastic canister of dry toner, I cringe at the thought of liquid ink and sealing fluid used in these machines.

I was curious if anyone here has experience with these machines? Martin and Yale and FP mailing system, as well as a few Pitney Bowes.

Thanx in advance

I know this is older, but I have 8yrs experience in mailing machine and folder inserters. Mostly with Neopost/Hasler (which FP re-brands as well with their inserters)...etc.

Let me know if you still need any help.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

We are an FP dealer and the best advice I can give is RUN! They suck. Their tech support is the worst. The ones that fold and insert into envelopes are the worst of the worst. When they are broke, they stay that way. Tech spent hours the other day trying to put access codes on one, with their tech support on the phone. I have been on site, in the middle of an issue, talked to them several times and call back to find everyone gone to lunch. RUN!

Martin Yale...not bad to work with.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Mailing Equipment...?

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    We are an FP dealer and the best advice I can give is RUN! They suck. Their tech support is the worst. The ones that fold and insert into envelopes are the worst of the worst.
    This is a fact. I have been servicing an inserter for over a year now, and it's an under-engineered nightmare. Just getting your customer to use good envelopes and paper is half the battle. You absolutely have to have a good key operator or your life will be hell. I have seriously considered quitting my job a couple of times because of it.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I could not agree more!!!! FP support is the absolute worst!!! I thought Lexmark support from India was the floor, but FP makes those folks looks like geniuses. Their site is junk. The "service manual" for a Centormail is 19 separate PDF documents.....wtf is that???!!! That is not a manual, its an exercise in patience.
    I cringe every time one of these calls come in.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Technician

I've got about 3 years in on Neopost/Hasler now. "Fixing the customer" is all about postal regs - usps postal explorer has it all, including the cure for insomnia. Those folder/inserters are all about the media. Even with the proper materials failures stem from the most subtle causes.

...and I love how tech support has never heard of the issues that are beating us up all over our territory.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Mailing Equipment...?

I specialize in the hasler/neopost folder inserters. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask/contact me.

The FP inserters are the same, but I'm have to locate the comparison charts for model specific questions.

There are certainly a few models that are stinkers.... but for the most part they are pretty stable systems.
    Last edited by RascalMJ; 09-24-2014 at 03:50 AM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Mailing Equipment...?

Some of you guys should try working on the big inserters PB, Kern, Muller Martini, etc. make. If you go bonkers on the glorified table top machines, you'll have nervous breakdowns over the really big ones. Plus you need more than just #2 phillips to work on the damn things.

Ive seen copier techs with 20+ years under their belts get humbled real quick and rethink that career change they just made.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Mailing Equipment...?

How about some film wrapping machines. These are made by Buhrs.