Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Understanding Copier Techs...?

Quote Originally Posted by MR Bill View Post
    Hello DAG. I have to tell you that using the F word with a customer in ear shot might get you fired also here in the states. It is a word that you use under your breath. It would be rude to say that in front of a customer. But it also depends on the customer I guess. Fixthecopierdude might with his army base buddies? Maybe working with longshoremen? I would never use that word no matter what myself . Except when I'm playing golf.
    One of the important aspects of being a copier technician is also being a psychologist. You have to work out an acceptable communication standard that won't offened your customer. Example elderly people and teachers absolutely hate being taught how to do something, so you mostly avoid technical terminology and do-this-or-else phases.
    Childcare center workers require small simple explainations about the copier,and absolutely no profanity. Coalminers and industrial workers like to commuicate with F#!* buddy just fix the C$&% and tell us what the problem is. Which you would reply to them with " some dumb bastard did such-and-such to your machine,they need a kick up the @ss."

You can't talk childcare tone and phrases to a coalminer , he would shove you out the door. Likewise you can't talk coalminer profanity to a childcare worker , they too will show you the door. So the tech has to call on divine wisdom in an effort to satisfy the majority. Which we know at times boarders on superhuman.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Understanding Copier Techs...?

Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post
    My grandpop would often use " Jesus f***ing, God damn Christ!" Out loud, in public even.. As a kid it cracked me up because the looks we got from some people. He was one of them "Yankees" from NY that didn't give a rip what others thought.

I often hear colorful language like this when I go to service the steel plant here or a construction site.
    My Grandpa used the word Pifel when he needed to swear, and he refered to grandma as the "old walrus"
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Akitu View Post
    Canadians drop the F-bomb like it was punctuation. Don't take my word for it, listen to the lyrical/comical genius of Bowser and Blue!

Well,let's hear what the Canadians on this forum have to say about this 'accusation'.

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    It's just a word. I had someone teach me cuss words in another language one time. I used them a lot, and even though people hear them come out of my mouth, nobody was offended.
    Though unlike Debs1964, i am not a native English speaker, I believe it's NOT 'just a word'. It must be having some hidden meaning or connotation not conducive to ordinary everyday conversation. Otherwise why would its usage be relegated to 'under the breaths?'.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS View Post
    Though unlike Debs1964, i am not a native English speaker, I believe it's NOT 'just a word'. It must be having some hidden meaning or connotation not conducive to ordinary everyday conversation. Otherwise why would its usage be relegated to 'under the breaths?'.

Words do not have power. The power of a word is given to it by the people who use it and the people who hear it. I am sure some places have derogatory terms for Americans or white people, and I am sure none of them would offend me, as I don't care. It is your personal choice as to weather or not you are offended by a word.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Understanding Copier Techs...?

Well,let's hear what the Canadians on this forum have to say about this 'accusation'.
    I know a couple guys that can drop the "F-bomb" many, many times in a normal everyday conversation. It is definitely used as punctuation, also if there is a slight pause between sentences they will throw in a "fuck, or fuckin'" just to fill the space. It is contagious as well. I find myself getting caught up in same verbal behaviour after talking to them for a couple minutes.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

I'm afraid I, too, believe it is just a word, and it's one that, at certain times, I love to use I try to avoid using it on customer's premises though
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    I know a couple guys that can drop the "F-bomb" many, many times in a normal everyday conversation. It is definitely used as punctuation, also if there is a slight pause between sentences they will throw in a "fuck, or fuckin'" just to fill the space. It is contagious as well. I find myself getting caught up in same verbal behaviour after talking to them for a couple minutes.
    Sounds a lot like a Seth Rogan movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    I'm afraid I, too, believe it is just a word, and it's one that, at certain times, I love to use I try to avoid using it on customer's premises though
    Well, we have now heard it from the 'horse's mouth'. If Debs, the native speaker, also agrees with fixthecopier, that 'its just a word', and she too, love to use it at certain times, who am I then to say NO?
    ''Napoleon is always right'', said Boxer. [A quote from the novel 'Animal Farm', by George Orwell].

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Well, a Canadian has spoken; we are yet to hear from more Canadians on this topic. it could mean the Canadians have completely 'De-mystified' this word!