Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Time to admit to all your boo boos

Re: Time to admit to all your boo boos

I was ordering parts through the Ricoh website, and committed an agregious typo - I meant to order 9 corona wires, not 900. Luckily, Ricoh caught it, and called to "confirm" that I wanted 900 corona wires? I always review my p.o.s now......

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

So there I was on board an Aircraft carrier. LHA-3, not really a carrier but basically the same size and carried jets, helo's, marines and other amphib vehicles.

There was a certain clam shell xerox machine that was not properly secured and took more than one trip to the steel deck in heavy seas.

The frame was hopelessly bent, no amount of skillful reforming would ever make it right.

It leaked toner like the dirty pig it was.

Tired of endlessly wiping, vacuuming, and brushing to no avail, an idea was birthed.

Why not take it outside and blow it out with compressed air.

To the flight deck catwalk it went, with air hose in hand.

Whooosh, it worked, a fine black cloud of toner could be seen off the fantail of the ship. And a wonderfully huge cloud it was.

What fun, and the inside of the POS never looked better. It will probably run at least 137 copies before the next service call now.

Just then the fire alarm could be heard. Hey where's the fire...I could hear the Flight Deck Air Boss (Big Cheese on the flight deck) announcing (on the PA system) a class bravo (black smoke) fire off the port side aft catwalk.

As I looked up from the catwalk to the flight deck I could see the men donning their gear and loading up in the vehicles to make their way to the scene of the fire.

LOL thought I...They think this is a fire. So I wave my arms and tell them it's ok. The Air Boss sees me, and tells me over the PA system to clear the area. When the first responders arrive.

They radio back the details... and the fire is canceled. Everybody is pissed. Then the Air Boss uses the PA system to request my presence in flight control. I go, he chews my ass, I leave.

Moral of the story... Dont blow a xerox machine out on the back end of an aircraft carrier without letting the Airboss know personally, even if you have permission from the Chief Engineer and the Captain.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

1381894_647496628617482_308789311_n.jpgSaid ship in attached photo.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I give...tried to upload a picture of the ship but it's harder than setting up an SMB scanning folder on a screwed up network.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
    I give...tried to upload a picture of the ship but it's harder than setting up an SMB scanning folder on a screwed up network.
    Site's a little broken right now. Fret not, it shall be restored in a fortnight, or two...
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

[QUOTE=Ben Around;391200]So there I was on board an Aircraft carrier. LHA-3[QUOTE]

An aircraft carrier of sorts?

I guess you really have ben around...

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
    Let's see if this works. I saved the link as a file and opened it with Irfanview. I then saved it as a .PDF and attach it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Let's see if this works. I saved the link as a file and opened it with Irfanview. I then saved it as a .PDF and attach it.
    I was able to click and open it - nice work.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Back in the day when I was in electronics school, I also was working third shift pushing a broom at a truck stop. For the most part, an awesome job when you are learning about how the drain works in a MOSFET or how to determine the most efficient antenna length for a given radio frequency, as pushing a broom required exactly no participation from my brain, and occasionally I got to see the neatest and weirdest things ever.
    Still, as I was working third shift I had to fill in for people who got sent home early because of lack of work, and one time when I was helping the pump jocks (there were still full service islands back then) I finished fueling a tractor trailer rig and apparently didn't stow the fuel hose properly and the trailer landing leg caught the hose and pulled the pump completely off its base.
    I discovered then that the odor of diesel fuel takes a while to clean out of clothing. Also the people in the fire department can be really grouchy if they have to make a dry run at three or four o'clock in the morning.