Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Technician

Re: Time to admit to all your boo boos

I was a young tech fresh out of training and was sent to a hospital to work on a Savin liquid machine. I was using my meter and ground out the AC line taking out all the lights and computers in the patient admitting area. To cover my butt as the lights went out I yelled "Hey who turned out the lights" at the same time yanking out the power cord. and moving away the copier as fast as I could.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Time to admit to all your boo boos

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    ...I think I saw a squirrel then shut the door and left....
    Haha

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

My Booboo of today:booboo 27012014.jpg

BH-C-253 ready to be transported to the customer. Forgot to remove the TCP/IP cable when I moved the machine........

Two of the contact wires came out of the socket and are twisted beyond repair. The plastic and the shielding of the socket are damaged too.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I used to fix the RJ45 connectors all the time Hans. In fact other techs seeked me out to fix there's too.

Just find yourself a $10 NIC card in the discount rack at the computer store. Carefully de-solder the good RJ45 connector, and solder it onto your $1000 board. I was working on Canon at the time but the principle remains the same. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Good idea Cat, but I'm not sure that they will have the same footprint not to mention the stuff what's inside. There seem to be a bunch of coils under that tin cap.

http://html.alldatasheetde.com/html-...0654219NL.html

Either I get the original part, a board from a junker or I have to McGyver it.

Hans

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    Banginbishop and I have been texting all afternoon and we have been admitting to all those embarrassing mistakes we've made and other faux pas.
    He has decided that this one of mine takes some beating, so I have to start this thread

About 20 years ago I was working on a Xerox 1025 and had to get to the rear of the machine, as I pulled the machine out I knocked the fire extinguisher off the wall next to it, as it fell, the safety pin fell out and it landed on the trigger, what are the chances of that! Luckily for me this machine was not in a posh office, but in a local council building department in a portakabin, it was filled with men in jeans and work boots who saw the funny side of it. It took ages to clean the foam from the walls, ceiling, etc. but the copier was lovely and clean when I finished

Come on, we have plenty more stories like this, but I want to read about yours
    I have a fire bottle related incident to report but of course it wasnt my fault!!!!!!!
    So I'm working on a Mita 313z back in the day and I'm yanking and cleaning clutchs on the back of the pig. When finished with reassembly I ran a copy or 2 and start smelling burning wires........ so did the secretary who I knew pretty well thankfully. I have a look at the back of the machine and there is now smoke and a little flame so I had to shoot it with a fire extinguisher, just a quick blast and it was all over except for the heavy embarrassment. I had knocked my little bottle of 99% Iso alcohol over and it had run along the back frame and of course the TnS corona had a small short and set it a blaze, just one of those scratch your head fuck me moments for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    My Booboo of today:booboo 27012014.jpg

BH-C-253 ready to be transported to the customer. Forgot to remove the TCP/IP cable when I moved the machine........

Two of the contact wires came out of the socket and are twisted beyond repair. The plastic and the shielding of the socket are damaged too.

Hans
    OK, removed the socket from the board (*note to oneself, with the next booboo buy a decent de- soldering equipment*) and reconstructed everything. Machine is up and working now until my next goof-up........

Hans

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Congratulations Hans. I knew you could do it. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwaddle View Post
    Been there, done that.
    Done that too, after some pcu replacement...
    who was that guy flapping and pointing... Didn't know him and kept driving, sudenly another of these waving guys...pointing at my roof, where the 3 pcu was holding on for their life Felt so stupid.

Technician

a few days ago I pulled a dumb move. while cleaning the optics, I grab the exposure glass, clean one side then flip it over to clean the other side. As I was wiping it, my rag hits the slit glass and sends it flying. I hits the ground in the only place that is not carpeted in the office, and it brakes into 5 pieces with the customer watching. Out of my mouth comes "dam it". realizing I said it out loud. oops. The customer sees the look on my face and started laughing, red faced, I excuse my self and make a quick run to the shop for another one. As I walked back in the office, the comtomer just smiled at me and left the office till I was done.