Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Time to admit to all your boo boos

Re: Time to admit to all your boo boos

You limited it to "damn it"? You're a good man.... I think I'd have STARTED with "sonofa........"!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Working on a MP C5000 today. Disconnected the network cable so that no print jobs would come in while I was working on it. Almost made it back to the office before they called that they could not print or scan.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Working on a MP C5000 today. Disconnected the network cable so that no print jobs would come in while I was working on it. Almost made it back to the office before they called that they could not print or scan.
    Yep, but I did make it back to the office. Had to tell them how to reconnect the cable.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Well if they stopped asking to scan and print, this wouldn't be an issue now, would it?

MFP Tech & I.T. Manager 100+ Posts MFPs R Now PCs's Avatar

Red face Re: Time to admit to all your boo boos

We were installing 2 brand new B&W 50ppm machines at a new customer site and the incumbent was there at the same time pulling their old machine. My relative/boss (who is about to retire... finally) wanted to test the plugs that were to be used for the new equipment with a multi-meter. Well long story short, he inserted the probes the wrong way in the wrong holes. All I really remember is standing behind him and seeing his dark, dark silhouette outlined in the center of this huge ball of white light…. ha, ha, ha, it STILL makes me laugh! And of course, the competitor is standing right there watching the whole thing go down. Luckily, nothing happened at all, no circuit breakers tripped, no lights went out, no PC’s went down and none of the employees at the customer site even noticed (or heard, because there was a VERY distinct POP!). Ah-geez; that was a long time ago and nothing like that has ever happened since; knock on wood….
    It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. –Confucius

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

A while back, I had an MP4000 that needed a developer change. Over time I have found it easier to remove the toner bottle holder, vacuum out all the used toner out of the auger and holding area, and then put the stopper found on the front of the drum unit into the chute on the drum unit rather than use the piece of paper between the drum and developer chutes (way less messy as well).
    I went back later for light prints and error codes. I pulled out the PCU to clean the ID sensor, and when I went to push it back in, I found the stopper was still in the opening of the chute, as well as the generous amount of toner the machine tried to feed spilled all over. D'oh. (The 35/45 cpm machines have a fin on the stopper to prevent this, but the stopper on the MP4000 fits perfectly.)
    As I was leaving the call, I almost got stuck in a snow drift that unbeknownst to me had formed behind my car while I was inside. I had to rock the car out, and I discovered that while traction control is great most of the time when at speed, it does the opposite of help when trying to rock a car out of a snow drift. Once I got the car free, I noticed that the other vehicles in that area of the lot were full size SUVs and pickups, most with four wheel drive. Again, d'oh.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    A while back, I had an MP4000 that needed a developer change. Over time I have found it easier to remove the toner bottle holder, vacuum out all the used toner out of the auger and holding area, and then put the stopper found on the front of the drum unit into the chute on the drum unit rather than use the piece of paper between the drum and developer chutes (way less messy as well).
    I went back later for light prints and error codes. I pulled out the PCU to clean the ID sensor, and when I went to push it back in, I found the stopper was still in the opening of the chute, as well as the generous amount of toner the machine tried to feed spilled all over. D'oh. (The 35/45 cpm machines have a fin on the stopper to prevent this, but the stopper on the MP4000 fits perfectly.)
    As I was leaving the call, I almost got stuck in a snow drift that unbeknownst to me had formed behind my car while I was inside. I had to rock the car out, and I discovered that while traction control is great most of the time when at speed, it does the opposite of help when trying to rock a car out of a snow drift. Once I got the car free, I noticed that the other vehicles in that area of the lot were full size SUVs and pickups, most with four wheel drive. Again, d'oh.
    I can't count the number of times I have forgotten to pull the piece of paper, actually I use a piece of the developer bag, out and had to go back because of light copies. Usually as soon as tthe light copy call comes in, I know what the problem is.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    A while back, I had an MP4000 that needed a developer change...
    How many MP4000's have you come across that didn't need a developer change?
    73 DE W5SSJ

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I replaced print heads on two C353 and mysteriously had the same blotchy-void copy quality issues afterwards.

Not having replaced these print heads in months or a year, I realized I wasn't removing the Transfer Belt and the blotchy-void problem was my sweaty hand prints from fighting to get the PH unit out.

Dumb, embarrassing, and costly.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Several months ago, I drove one of the outside cars just close enough to the garage door that it went up fine but got caught on the bumper of that car when coming down.
    Of course, when the garage door failed to close completely I first thought that one of the sensors was blocked and cleaned them. But when the door failed to close after that, I became a button mashing moron, and BANG! the door drive cable holder broke.
    I was able to fix that, but I failed to notice that the drive system was way out of time. So the next time I pushed the button the door did go down all of the way, and then continued to try to go down until the the track pulled itself out of the wall of the garage with another bang. I actually came pretty close to losing a pair of underwear that time.
    I finally got around to actually repairing the thing entirely last weekend, and it pretty much took the entire weekend to do that.
    D'oh.