Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Time to admit to all your boo boos

Banginbishop and I have been texting all afternoon and we have been admitting to all those embarrassing mistakes we've made and other faux pas.
    He has decided that this one of mine takes some beating, so I have to start this thread

About 20 years ago I was working on a Xerox 1025 and had to get to the rear of the machine, as I pulled the machine out I knocked the fire extinguisher off the wall next to it, as it fell, the safety pin fell out and it landed on the trigger, what are the chances of that! Luckily for me this machine was not in a posh office, but in a local council building department in a portakabin, it was filled with men in jeans and work boots who saw the funny side of it. It took ages to clean the foam from the walls, ceiling, etc. but the copier was lovely and clean when I finished

Come on, we have plenty more stories like this, but I want to read about yours
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Re: Time to admit to all your boo boos

Shocked Deborah and deeply worried for your customers pmsl

Quote Originally Posted by banginbishop View Post
    Shocked Deborah and deeply worried for your customers pmsl
    And what about all the errors you've admitted to, at least I've never plugged connectors into the wrong places on a PSU
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Never took out a WHOLE I repeat WHOLE building just the ring circuit cough cough

While deployed in Iraq since I was tech savvie the 1SG decided I'd hook up the new bad ass HP printer we got in...sure no prob...except while putting it together and ready to go it just skipped my mind that I should plug it into a converter....So I got to carry that heavy bastard all by myself to the tech shop for a new power supply board....1SG was not pleased with me for a few days....
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Quote Originally Posted by banginbishop View Post
    Never took out a WHOLE I repeat WHOLE building just the ring circuit cough cough
    But I got away with it as they blamed the men doing the road works outside the building
    I never changed a sorter board without switching the machine off again after that

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I forgot a used printer drum core in the bathroom of bank building about 19 years ago now and they thought it was a possible bomb. They evacuated the building and called in the bomb squad. I heard about it on the radio later that afternoon and couldn't help but laugh. It clearly said Canon on the side on the box
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Quote Originally Posted by charm5496 View Post
    I forgot a used printer drum core in the bathroom of bank building about 19 years ago now and they thought it was a possible bomb. They evacuated the building and called in the bomb squad. I heard about it on the radio later that afternoon and couldn't help but laugh. It clearly said Canon on the side on the box
    Like, like, like, at least I've never been the cause of a bomb scare

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I doubt many have...lol
    Thankfully I never went back there after the incident!!!
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

The first was a Mita DC-142re that was stretching out lens springs about once a week. So here I am. I've got the glass off, top cover off, light source #1 off, & lens cover off and powered up. I'm running the lens through the pre-sets 64% > 78% > 100% > 129% > 144% > 129% > 100% ... etc. The whole time the lamp wires are just hanging there in mid-air. As I'm engrossed with the motion of the lens & solenoid the wires come in contact with the frame, and weld one of the terminals right to the frame. Lots of lovely sparks, and I knocked out the power in half of this huge room. We're all standing there with that lamp terminal still glowing/smoldering bright orange in the dark. It takes 15 minutes for the maintenance man to find the breaker and reset it. At this point I've completely forgotten about those stretched out lens springs. Once the copier is back together, there is no power of course. The 15A breaker by the main power cord has exploded into small pieces, some stuck in the wall. With some quick thinking (and a 15A in-line fuse), the poor copier was ... almost as good as it started, but I can't find my screwdriver.

After several minutes of looking, I can't stand the embarrassment any more and head for the door. There is my screwdriver, stuck in the suspended ceiling tile 25 ft behind me.

I had a Mita DC-2585 jammed into the same closet with the phone system. Regularly I had to share space with the phone system guy. It was quite cozy.

On one occasion I was stuffed in the 10" I could make behind the machine to get to the registration clutch. The phone guy bumped into the front of the machine, my back cramped, and in my efforts to straighten up, I banged my head on the shelf over the copier dumping a dozen phone books on my head. All we needed was Curly to make The Three Stooges.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=