Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Re: Lazy ass techs....

We have one guy in my team that, so far this week, has called me to ask how to get into service mode on a Ricoh MPC5503, I told him the he'd been told this numerous times before, why hasn't he written it down, he told me he has, but it's in the book he's left in his car, so I told him he'd find the info in the training manual, he replied that his laptop is also in his car which is parked 1 mile away...I told him he has a f**king long walk then, but I'm too soft, and eventually gave him the info.
    Yesterday he told me he'd relaced a fuser on a Ricoh MPC4502 for SC544, but still has the code, so I started talking through what parts I would now be replacing, then I discovered that he hasn't actually reset the code yet!!!
    A couple of days ago he had a dead MPC5000, so I told him, if there are any lights at all on the panel, to go onto the WIM and chech to see if there's an SC code, he totally panicked and said he needs someone to show him how to get onto the WIM...I know I've shown him, and talked him through it on numerous occasions.
    I have also shown this same guy, at least a dozen times, how to upgrade firmware, yet he still claims to not be able to do it, I even, in my own time, made a step by step guide to upgrading, I took screen shots of downloading off TESSA, and took photos of a control panel while upgrading, so there was no excuse for anyone not to know how to do it (it was with him in mind that I did this).
    Today I am supposed to be picking him up as his car is being serviced. It's now 8:20am, should it really be down to me to ask him where I need to go, or should he have had the courtesey to tell me last night what time and place I need to pick him up, I think it's obvious, the answer to my last question is clearly YES
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar

I'm sure we have all had to deal with these lazy people. Thankfully for me, not at this job, but at others I have encountered these people. One guy I remember when I worked at an electrical supply company. He and I were supposed to load the truck with stuff for customers for delivery. On one day I loaded the truck myself while he talked with friends on the phone. I was getting the last order together and he told me he was leaving, he had to go, and left without the last order. I told the manager what had happened and he told me, just load it up and take it there myself. So I loaded up the truck, took the parts to a job site this lazy SOB was already going to just to pick up his slack. Now, this guy had spent a great deal of time gluing a velcrow pad inside the truck I was driving to hold his coffee cup. That coffee cup did not make it back to the shop from that delivery.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Lazy ass techs....

My other tech is the laziest SOB of all, he's never here!

Oh wait... I've been working alone for the past month and a half...
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
    Emujo is probably talking about ME!!!!!!!! I sent the reply "rtm then ask again".... I have not heard from the putz...
    Thanks, and just so were not confused, Mr Spock is not the "tool", but the tech that may be a little closer than me and might be able to accomplish the much needed "bitch slapping". EMujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Lazy ass techs....

They are everywere,at least i have always one of them.
    You must give them "the fishing pole",not "the fish" and after a while you could figure if they learn something...or not,continuing to gave them "the fish" the lesson is not learned
    This trick doesn't apply on everyone,unfortunately
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

There's sometimes a difference with laziness vs newbish. Me being the "knowledgeable whiz kid" I'll help someone, especially a newbie. But I'll teach them how to use their resources so they can learn. I used to call the experienced techs when I started out, but I would at least make an effort first. Same with tech support. That's just how I am. Then there's the lazy SOB who doesn't want to get the manual out or can't write something down for future reference. Or try something first. "Oh call So in So, hes the expert. He'll know" They don't want to make the effort..

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Lazy ass techs....

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    We have one guy in my team that, so far this week, has called me to ask how to get into service mode on a Ricoh MPC5503, I told him the he'd been told this numerous times before, why hasn't he written it down, he told me he has, but it's in the book he's left in his car, so I told him he'd find the info in the training manual, he replied that his laptop is also in his car which is parked 1 mile away...I told him he has a f**king long walk then, but I'm too soft, and eventually gave him the info.
    Yesterday he told me he'd relaced a fuser on a Ricoh MPC4502 for SC544, but still has the code, so I started talking through what parts I would now be replacing, then I discovered that he hasn't actually reset the code yet!!!
    A couple of days ago he had a dead MPC5000, so I told him, if there are any lights at all on the panel, to go onto the WIM and chech to see if there's an SC code, he totally panicked and said he needs someone to show him how to get onto the WIM...I know I've shown him, and talked him through it on numerous occasions.
    I have also shown this same guy, at least a dozen times, how to upgrade firmware, yet he still claims to not be able to do it, I even, in my own time, made a step by step guide to upgrading, I took screen shots of downloading off TESSA, and took photos of a control panel while upgrading, so there was no excuse for anyone not to know how to do it (it was with him in mind that I did this).
    Today I am supposed to be picking him up as his car is being serviced. It's now 8:20am, should it really be down to me to ask him where I need to go, or should he have had the courtesey to tell me last night what time and place I need to pick him up, I think it's obvious, the answer to my last question is clearly YES
    Next time he needs the code, text it to him and tell him not to delete the text. Then if he leaves his phone in the car, he can't call you.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

A lazy ass tech is the one who will change the feed roller, because it is easy, but not the reverse roller because you have to take screws out.

A lazy tech will just change the default paper tray, rather than change the bad clutches.

A lazy tech says "run it a while", and leaves rather than fix the problem.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Lazy ass techs....

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    We have one guy in my team that, so far this week, has called me to ask how to get into service mode on a Ricoh MPC5503............
    How ever he is very good at time and space travel as I'm sure we have exactly the same guy working here!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

I have on occasion washed only one side of the work car. Then park the vehicle with the shiney side facing admin
    Last edited by BLADE; 01-10-2014 at 03:29 AM.