Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Lazy ass techs....

Re: Lazy ass techs....

One thing to try, at the end of the day, check the call log on your cell phone. Make a report of the time you spent talking to other techs who have called you during the day call you for assistance. Include in the report the time of the call, who called, how long the call was, and what customer had to wait for you to finish the call in order to finish their machine. You will soon see your effeciency rating going up and lazy ass's rating going down.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Lazy ass techs....

Quote Originally Posted by rh112 View Post
    I am more than glad to help out but as others have said it gets old same reps asking same question
    They have the same resources as I do just to lazy to use them
    But somehow they end up with good numbers and as I like to put it
    They look like gods in the eyes of the Bean Counters who come up with all the unrealistic numbers we are expected to achive

What I hate is when another reps calls asking for help will use Bob as example
    Bob calls saying I got machine doing this
    I ask what have you tried to resolve problem
    Bob responds I am not onsite yet just trying to get some advise
    Want to say my advise call me when you have checked machine and have used all your available resources to fix

Or when Bob is onsite asking for help
    When I give suggestion Bob respond no it cant be that
    OK then how how about this the same answer from Bob no cant be that
    I want to respond why in hell did you call me
    Then find out Bob has also called 2-3 other reps asking same question
    Guess Bob is just looking for easiest suggestion to get him out the door

Several years ago got some good advise from another rep
    He said any time someone calls asking for help that you know is a lazy ass
    Ask them if they checked something on machine that’s isn’t relevant to that particular model
    If they respond yes then you are wasting your time talking to them
    If they respond no or how do I do that then you know they are at least making a attempt
    And will not lie to you when you ask if they have checked something
    I've talked to this Bob many times. He goes around to every tech in the office asking the same question. Most often Bob get's the same answer from everybody "Damn. It sucks to be you. Thats a four hour operation. You've got to strip it to the back frame ... " and on and on. Undeterred Bob finds someone else to ask, cause he's just not going to try the hard fix. It's just got to be something easier.

Two weeks later I find the call on my board. "Just send blackcat. He knows what to do." Gee, thanks.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Lazy ass techs....

Quote Originally Posted by rh112 View Post

Several years ago got some good advise from another rep
    He said any time someone calls asking for help that you know is a lazy ass
    Ask them if they checked something on machine that’s isn’t relevant to that particular model
    If they respond yes then you are wasting your time talking to them
    If they respond no or how do I do that then you know they are at least making a attempt
    And will not lie to you when you ask if they have checked something
    I like that response - there are a couple techs that call me for help and say "I've checked this and that", and I find out later they have done nothing I've suggested. BTW, I hate 'Bob' too.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

This is really quite funny, the guy I've referred to several times in this thread REALLY IS called Bob
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts StrippedScrew's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Lazy ass techs....

After spending much time helping these "Bob's", I simply don't answer the phone for them anymore. If they can't be bothered with PM's, service/parts manuals, or firmware I can't be bothered with giving them the same freaking answers for the same freaking problems everyday. I am not the help desk, I'm just another toner suckin screwdriver jockey.\m/><\m/

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar

If you get a call from a "Bob" re a Ricoh colour box, Just say "Sounds like a MUSIC fault" and pause.... You should hear the Brain ticking as they decide whether to ask "What's "MUSIC"? because they won't have a clue!
    I have several like this.... 25+ years experience each and don't know the basics. If you say "clean the I.D sensors" they just clean them and never learn. (Come to think of it, I had one ask where the I.D sensors were the other day!)

Also recall one from a few years ago...

Hi, I have a problem (Jam / code.. can't remember)

Did you print the SMC? (Copier 101?)

No

Print it now and tell me what XXXX reading is.

I can't, I've left the customer (!)

Well, go back in and print the report!

I can't, The meter ran out.

Put money in the meter and go back!

I can't, I ran out of cash for the meter.

Where are you going now? (Worked in London, All calls required meter parking)

I'm going to the next call!

How are you going to park?!

I'll stop at the bank for change.

How can you park outside the bank with no money!???...

(silence)

Why didn't you go to the bank next door to the (Problem) customer?

(silence)

.... I can't go back, I closed the call and am logged onto the next one.

^%£$*&)_&(Y£)(&)£)(&)(&)(&^%^YGK£I!!!!!!!!!!! (Then I hung up!)

A swift call to the RTM and I had the info in an hour....

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

I have been putting pressure on the rest of my team to upgrade firmware, I was getting fed up with adding up to 45 minutes onto my call times because others couldn't be bothered doing something that is part of the minimum call procedure. I spent many hours (of my own time) downloading all the latest firmware before the last team meeting, then passed it round for everyone to copy to their laptops, I did have comments made about me not downloading firmware for machines that I don't work on!!! Would they like me to wipe their arses for them too!!
    Anyway, Bob has finally started doing firmware now, but twice in the past fortnight I've had him on the phone asking me how to copy and paste the files onto an SD card, and he has turned a finisher into a huge door stop by loading the incorrect firmware on it. I give up
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Lazy ass techs....

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    One thing to try, at the end of the day, check the call log on your cell phone. Make a report of the time you spent talking to other techs who have called you during the day call you for assistance. Include in the report the time of the call, who called, how long the call was, and what customer had to wait for you to finish the call in order to finish their machine. You will soon see your effeciency rating going up and lazy ass's rating going down.
    Brilliant, slimslob! Include those long drawn out strings of texts. I don't know about you, but for me it takes a while to get in the zone, and each of these minor interruptions, adds 15 to 20 minutes to find my concentration again on my call.

I keep a call book. It serves as a mileage log, and a way to organize the call information before using Remote Tech, and a record when the call information mysteriously vanishes and I have to re-enter 4 days worth of calls. I'll just add a page for tech assists phone/text. Alteration now made to the call book.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    I have been putting pressure on the rest of my team to upgrade firmware, I was getting fed up with addingyourup to 45 minutes onto my call times because others couldn't be bothered doin something that is part of the mini call procedure. I spent many hours (of my own time) downloading all the latest firmware before the last team meeting, then passed it round for everyone to copy to their laptops, I did have comments made about me not downloading firmware for machines that I don't work on!!! Would they like me to wipe their arses for them too!!
    Anyway, Bob has finally started doing firmware now, but twice in the past fortnight I've had him on the phone asking me how to copy and paste the files onto an SD card, and he has turned a finisher into a huge door stop by loading the incorrect firmware on it. I give up
    Been there, done that! spent the last 15 years (ever since we got laptops) saying 1) learn to Search on the laptop and on line, 2) Sort out your accounts with ALL Manufacturers AND save your passwords someWhere Safe, 3) learn how to download AND install firmware..... still working on it!

The next hurdle is the firmware on the Mpc 5503 etc with Numerous DF's and OP Panels.

I'm just waiting for the first one to "crash" and the tech not to own up.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Lazy ass techs....

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    I have been putting pressure on the rest of my team to upgrade firmware, I was getting fed up with adding up to 45 minutes onto my call times because others couldn't be bothered doing something that is part of the minimum call procedure. I spent many hours (of my own time) downloading all the latest firmware before the last team meeting, then passed it round for everyone to copy to their laptops, I did have comments made about me not downloading firmware for machines that I don't work on!!! Would they like me to wipe their arses for them too!!
    Sometimes you have to realize Bob's limitations. There are some Bob's that shouldn't be allowed to do things like Frimwar!!!!!! This week I went to a machine that Bob said needed a hard drive. He said it was running with the disk disconnected. When I arrived it had sc 878-01 on display and sc 860 in the lower left of the display. After 2 hours of troubleshooting with the new drive and old drive and frimwar failures I spent time with tech support( needed a case # for warrente). In the end the controller failed. So Bob got to ride along and get schooled.............................. wasn't the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mystic Crystal Revelations