Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: Lazy ass techs....

I will be at a call that others have been to, the customer will bring up an issue that they say they brought up to the previous guy and say "He said he was going to look something up and get back with me." I ask if they signed the ticket. "Yes" is always the answer, then I laugh and inform them that they have been long forgotten about.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Lazy ass techs....

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    I will be at a call that others have been to, the customer will bring up an issue that they say they brought up to the previous guy and say "He said he was going to look something up and get back with me." I ask if they signed the ticket. "Yes" is always the answer, then I laugh and inform them that they have been long forgotten about.
    Slight variation on that theme. Our techs say: "I'm ordering a part.", and then they show their call complete. Three or four weeks later the enduser calls back. When I get the call the first question is always: "Did you bring that part?", and my response: " ... duh, what part?". And of course there is no record of needing a part on any of the recent calls. If I was a little more vindictive, I would drag the tech back with me to explain why they never ordered any part.

In the end, though, my job is to smooth out the rough spots, not assigning of blame. It doesn't take long for endusers to figure out which techs they don't want coming back, and they don't hesitate to say so.

If there was only one concept I could impart to all the new techs out there, it would be what my first manager, Dennis, taught me early on. "Who said you could just quit when you didn't find an answer right away? I'm just going to keep sending you back as many times as it takes to get it done right, so save yourself some embarrassment and do it right sooner than later." Once I learned that, things got a lot better. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 10-25-2014 at 08:24 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

If there was only one concept I could impart to all the new techs out there, it would be what my first manager, Dennis, taught me early on. "Who said you could just quit when you didn't find an answer right away? I'm just going to keep sending you back as many times as it takes to get it done right, so save yourself some embarrassment and do it right sooner than later." Once I learned that, things got a lot better. =^..^=

Kind of reminds me of the saying "The reason a lot of people don't answer the door when opportunity knocks is because it's dressed in work clothes."
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Lazy ass techs....

A few weeks back, I had to let a tech borrow my soldering iron because his died. Ok, no problem. I got a call this saturday morning at 2am from same tech wanting to borrow mine again and wanted me to bring it to him. He still hasn't gone out and bought a new one.

I said sure no problem. You need to call the boss first and make sure he is gonna pay my overtime because of your ineptitude. Yes I really called him inept. I hung up on him and proceded to wait for the boss to call.

Boss as called about an hour later, pissed off at the other tech. I got a couple hours of OT.

Lazy ass techs....

As far as I'm concerned you were charitable. I would have just said "Hell No. I am not your f****** mother! Go buy a soldering iron yourself like a real employed adult. And the next time feel free not to tell me about it." =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Lazy ass techs....

Quote Originally Posted by atwageman View Post
    A few weeks back, I had to let a tech borrow my soldering iron because his died. Ok, no problem. I got a call this saturday morning at 2am from same tech wanting to borrow mine again and wanted me to bring it to him. He still hasn't gone out and bought a new one.

I said sure no problem. You need to call the boss first and make sure he is gonna pay my overtime because of your ineptitude. Yes I really called him inept. I hung up on him and proceded to wait for the boss to call.

Boss as called about an hour later, pissed off at the other tech. I got a couple hours of OT.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned you were charitable. I would have just said "Hell No. I am not your f****** mother! Go buy a soldering iron yourself like a real employed adult. And the next time feel free not to tell me about it." =^..^=
    I have at least three soldering irons. One in my tool kit. One on my work bench. One in my car. I might have one at home also but I am not sure. I purchased all of them. With the exception of the toner vacuum, all the tools I use in the field are mine. If someone wants to borrow the one on my bench, they better have it back by the time I get back to the shop.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Lazy ass techs....

I never lend any of my tools to anyone. This was a quality spring hook one of the knuckle dragging meat heads we seem to employ handed in and asked for a new one. And that's why I don't lend mine.

20141027_151306.jpg
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atwageman View Post

He obviously figured he'd never need one again. And besides, why go and get one as long as you're there to borrow from?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Lazy ass techs....

I'll typically help somebody once, maybe even twice. 3rd time, you can go pound sand. I earn my living off of my tools and I have a ton of tools.....unfortunately because of everything I service requires something more than a few phillips, torx and nut drivers. Go earn a living off you're own tools I say.

On a side note I really need to take a pic of my main box, plus the other tool boxes in my car that contain the tools I only need a few times a year, but gotta have them. Many on here would have a heart attack over the financial investment involved.

Somewhere I've gotta "minimum required" tool list we hand out during job interviews. It's not small. I should post it. Needless to say we don't get greenhorns or too many bullshiters that make it to the call back interview.

Lazy ass techs....

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    I never lend any of my tools to anyone. This was a quality spring hook one of the knuckle dragging meat heads we seem to employ handed in and asked for a new one. And that's why I don't lend mine.

20141027_151306.jpg
    In the upper part of this view is the "Heavy Duty" spring hook, that I made specifically for fuser pressure springs. It's made from 3/8-16 threaded rod, ground to a taper, offset at the end, then hardened. The threaded rod gives an exceptional grip. I challenge anybody to alter it in any way with bare hands. You'd just hurt yourself, or peel off skin.

Spring Hook.JPG