Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts brotherlarry's Avatar

SERVICE CALLS FROM HELL

Hi I am Brother Larry and I am a recovering Copier Technician.

We have all had them. A simple call turns into a nightmare. You just finished a PM, prints/copies look great then the machine pops an unrelated error code. etc etc.

Tell us about yours, no sniping Please. Because if we were smart we would be Rocket Scientists or Brain Surgeons.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Re: SERVICE CALLS FROM HELL

I went out to service a machine for "brother Larry", guy claims to be an ex service tech......Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

let the sniping begin.

*******************INTERNET IMMUNITY*************************

I am a tech Woo Hoo (Since 1978) Pierson's Office Supply, Kex-Copysource/Ikon, Xerox, etc..

In the early days of dry toner, yes there was wet toner machines, the office supply house I started at, refused to buy a 3m service vac. Doing a PM on an Oce 1600 needless to say the vacum they provided exploded blowing toner all over the customer office. Not a good day.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    SERVICE CALLS FROM HELL

I'm fitting a PM kit to a big printer in the out patients ward in a large hospital and the operators were continually moaning on about how the couldn't do with out the printer and they couldn't afford to have it off line for longer then a minute. This printer was so vital that if it stopped working they would have to close the hospital and I would be responsible for the increased death rate, or so they would have me believe.
    I kept reassuring them it would only be down for under half an hour while I did some preventive maintenance to ensure that their printer would work faultlessly for the rest of foreseeable time.
    I shut the front door, turn on the main switch and...........nothing! The PSU had decided to call it quits. Did we have a spare PSU on the shelf, no! Did we have a spare hot swap printer, no! Could I convince them it wasn't my fault and just a unfortunate coincidence........
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Did we have a spare hot swap printer, no! Could I convince them it wasn't my fault and just a unfortunate coincidence........
    No.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    SERVICE CALLS FROM HELL

Quote Originally Posted by Phrag View Post
    No.
    Right on, Phrag!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    SERVICE CALLS FROM HELL

I've posted this story here before I think...

I had an MXC311 an hour away throw up a fuser lock code. Travel to site with a new fuser as it's a common fault on these for the fuser to have the bearings break and then the gearing hits the frame and tears itself up. Get on site, customer tells me they rebooted it and tried to make it work but the noise just got worse. My heart sinks to the bottom of my stomach, I have a feeling I know what it is but I'm praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that it's not what I think it is.

It is.

They neglected to call us to tell us they made it worse, so I was traveling all the way there when I could have easily gotten the new part I needed. When they rebooted the machine, it tried to run itself up again, causing the fuser idler gear to destroy itself as well. So naturally, I tell them I'll be back. Drive the hour back to the office, grab this gear and head back to site. Total time: 4 hours and running. With the new gear and fuser in place, I go to boot it up. It's still grinding... wtf? I rip off the back cover and find the drive pack gears have also destroyed themselves as a result of them not listening to simple instructions. I'm the second person in the entire company to ever have the drive pack gears on this little plastic machine disintegrate.

Fortunately I have a slew of them back at the office, so I head back once more to get the drive pack. Return to site and install the drive pack and all is finally well. Between the 3 trips at an hour each way and the work involved in ripping the machine apart and putting it back together, I killed the entire day on one customer. Had they listened in the first place, it would have only been one trip; due to the nature of this and how it all played out, there was no way I could have reasonably expected anything except perhaps the initial fuser idler gear.

I'm sure I have more, but that's the one that'll always stick out the most prominently in my mind.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

copydude

Although it sucks for you can you really blame the customer.. one of the things they tell as on A KM machine anyway, is when a code pops.. try rebooting the machine.. it is almost the first question asked when calling it in for service..

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    SERVICE CALLS FROM HELL

Quote Originally Posted by copydude View Post
    Although it sucks for you can you really blame the customer.. one of the things they tell as on A KM machine anyway, is when a code pops.. try rebooting the machine.. it is almost the first question asked when calling it in for service..
    Ordinarily that is the case, but in this instance they were specifically instructed not to touch it but they did anyways.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?