Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts DWise's Avatar

Re: worst paper ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Akitu View Post
    Although with the last vendor we were actually getting 498 sheets per ream, effectively shorting us out a full ream of paper per ton.
    I pity the one who had to sit there and count each piece...
    Do for one what you wished you could do for everyone. - Andy Stanley

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    worst paper ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian8506 View Post
    Personally I think 20lb paper is garbage these days. Any customer I have that runs a heavier paper has no problems.
    I have had a Ricoh regional support rep recommend that 28lb white will give much better color copies.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

I recall once at a school workroom, one of the big Toshiba's kept on jamming, did all the usual stuff, clean rollers, sensors, checked sensors, now funny thing, the Sharp AR 620 that they had for less then 6 months was also jamming, now I am like WTF.
    The school custodian solved it for me, told me they had run out of letter size, and was cutting down legal size to letter, I pulled paper from the large trays and took a good look at it, and yepp... had been cut down, and not very well, they used the paper cutter, the old fashioned had type, end of school year budget runs tight, so they make do with what they have.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    worst paper ever.

Quote Originally Posted by vincent64 View Post
    I recall once at a school workroom, one of the big Toshiba's kept on jamming, did all the usual stuff, clean rollers, sensors, checked sensors, now funny thing, the Sharp AR 620 that they had for less then 6 months was also jamming, now I am like WTF.
    The school custodian solved it for me, told me they had run out of letter size, and was cutting down legal size to letter, I pulled paper from the large trays and took a good look at it, and yepp... had been cut down, and not very well, they used the paper cutter, the old fashioned had type, end of school year budget runs tight, so they make do with what they have.
    If you ever run into the situation where the customer is out of 8 1/2 x 11, tell them to make the copies first, then cut off the excess.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    worst paper ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DWise View Post
    I pity the one who had to sit there and count each piece...
    Actually that was easier than you might think, we do commercial printing for the local shops. We would set it to do a 500 page job and it would ask for paper at 498 every time. Check the stack for double feeds and it would never be the case, always 2 pages short in every ream of every box.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Being near the ocean we get a lot of damp paper calls. Machines though are much more forgiving these days than they were in the past. I think back to the old Mita 1205 and others which would make blank copies if the moisture content in the paper was too high......you'd change the paper and it would make perfect copies again. I used to carry my own paper in my car just for testing because often the customer's entire paper supply would be damp.

I've also seen where the glue from the wrapper would get on the edges gluing sections of the ream together.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Now that I think about it...

I had an HP 4500 in my basement that someone had given to me. It sat there for over a year before I one day decided I needed some color prints. It was giving my practically blank prints, and I was thinking I needed a new drum or transfer unit at first. I ran out of paper that I was testing it with, and so I turned the paper over to reuse it. Then I started getting good config sheets. I realized then that I had a paper problem... and felt pretty stupid about the whole thing.