Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Troubleshooting

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    We also have to remember that we (in Europe, US, Canada, Australia) have unlimited access to all recources anytime, anywhere. In Africa, Middle East etc. things aren't like that. Sometimes I think to myself : "You shouldn't have posted that", because the other tech has no access to manuals, firmware, etc, and his boss tells him to just fix the problem.
    That's a good point.
    Also, sometimes in places like that their primary language is very different that ours, and the concepts we know to be the default can be hard for them to understand. I ask questions of them to have a better idea if I actually understand what is going on.
    Last edited by Iowatech; 08-11-2014 at 02:07 AM.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian8506 View Post
    A lot of good points here but let's add to the list the techs that post a problem before they've even gone to the machine.
    I'm guilty of this one. On cases where there is an importance that the machine be running when I leave and it's an unusual issue and the machine is quite a distance away and may not have internet access to look up or post questions and not having time to wait for tech support to pick up my call I'll ask for suggestions on where to look and what to look for before I leave. It's not often I do this, but I'd rather have ideas then standing scratching my head.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by Zackuth View Post
    I'm guilty of this one. On cases where there is an importance that the machine be running when I leave and it's an unusual issue and the machine is quite a distance away and may not have internet access to look up or post questions and not having time to wait for tech support to pick up my call I'll ask for suggestions on where to look and what to look for before I leave. It's not often I do this, but I'd rather have ideas then standing scratching my head.
    I have marginal troubleshooting skills myself, but I use this forum (the search function works rather well) OFTEN for guidance, and I recommend it to other techs in my company. A standard format for seeking help might go something like this:

1. Nature of the problem (specifics if you please - SC codes, jams as reported in the SMC, history of continuing problem, symptoms, machine environment, etc.).

2. Detailed description of troubleshooting/corrective action thus far, any changes in symptoms, etc.

Granted, those with a language barrier might not be as detailed as we'd like to see, but certainly the rest of us could be. Seems like common sense to me.......

My 2 cents.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Troubleshooting

New technicians take a while to learn the ins and outs of troubleshooting. Sometimes they rely on more experienced techs to just "give me the answer". They will find out that in the long run relying on experienced techs will only get you so far. What if they (experienced techs) are not available or they (newbies) dont have good connection to the internet where they are?

1. Learn to troubleshoot (write down the list of questions to answer if you have to)

Questions: What is it doing/not doing? What are the normal steps the machine does to get to this point? Does it happen only when printing or only when copying? Does it happen only when printing from a particular program, from the network, from a particular software application?

2. If you need an experienced tech, make sure you have at least tried to test it, and be detailed with the answers to the above questions. List what has been tried versus what has not been tried. Be thorough. (When changing out boards, you often have to wait for firmware to be communicated between other boards and the one you have to replace. If you rush it, it will not work. Be patient.)

3. LISTEN to what the experienced tech says. I can't tell you how many times I had a newbie ask me what could be the problem and then, without trying the advice, completely disregard/reject it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    New technicians take a while to learn the ins and outs of troubleshooting. Sometimes they rely on more experienced techs to just "give me the answer". They will find out that in the long run relying on experienced techs will only get you so far. What if they (experienced techs) are not available or they (newbies) dont have good connection to the internet where they are?

1. Learn to troubleshoot (write down the list of questions to answer if you have to)

Questions: What is it doing/not doing? What are the normal steps the machine does to get to this point? Does it happen only when printing or only when copying? Does it happen only when printing from a particular program, from the network, from a particular software application?

2. If you need an experienced tech, make sure you have at least tried to test it, and be detailed with the answers to the above questions. List what has been tried versus what has not been tried. Be thorough. (When changing out boards, you often have to wait for firmware to be communicated between other boards and the one you have to replace. If you rush it, it will not work. Be patient.)

3. LISTEN to what the experienced tech says. I can't tell you how many times I had a newbie ask me what could be the problem and then, without trying the advice, completely disregard/reject it.

Haven't seen you post in a while, nice to know you are still hanging out. You hit on one of my pet peeves. Getting ask about a problem by someone who barley knows anything, then watching them go ask someone else, because your answer seemed too hard, and involved actual work. After a few years in this business, you either have it, or you are just a parts changer. When I was at Xerox training a few weeks ago, and it came time to be tested by putting bugs in the machine, I solved most of mine by doing what i would do for a Konica. Then I would have to go back and show the instructor how I would solve it using the Xerox steps. On my final machine, the instructor only gave me one bug to fix. I was standing in the hall with a Xerox tech waiting to be called in for another, and the instructor opened the door and said "I am through with you. I am sure you understand this, you can go."
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking