Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Vaping!  Have you tried it?

Vaping! Have you tried it?

I am not a smoker but I have a number of co-workers and friends who are. Many are long term smokers who have grown concerned about the health effects and costs of smoking. Some have turned to e-cigarettes commonly known as "vaping".

What do you think?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Vaping! Have you tried it?

The vapor cigarettes can't be good for him, not the way my brother uses them. It's always in his mouth, and he's rotating through three batteries (two on the charger at any one time), to keep continuous lit up. From an observer's point of view, at least it doesn't stink like the real thing. And he's not continually dumping ashes or leaving a trail of butts. By all appearances he's only killing himself now. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The best way to stop smoking is to do as I did 38 years ago. Just quit. I went from a pack and a half to two packs a day to none. We had a baby due in a couple of months. It was the last week of the month and I had enough cash to either buy a carton or buy groceries. Groceries won out. I finished the last pack I had and that was it. My wife said I was a bear to live with for about two weeks. I haven't smoked since then.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

I'm one of those rare people who has never even tried smoking, even when I had peer pressure at school (and I was tempted to give in), but I always thought it smelt disgusting, and, even all those years ago, we knew it could kill you, I'm such a goody goody
    As Blackcat says, at least eCigarettes don't stink, and, as far as we know, there are no dangers for passive smokers, though I'm yet to be convinced on that one
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

A coworker of mine has been into vaping for awhile(he still smokes regular cigs too).. He's got different batteries(the vaporizing device), clearomizers(the liquid tank), and flavor juices. Some are tasty(I took a puff of some), some are down right terrible. I even tried one of the 0 nicotine ones for s&g, (I just used it like a cigar) I think it was mint flavor. However I don't smoke so I lost interest in them, but they're still cool to look at, especially the mods..

Now I am under no illusions about ecigarettes.

Are they good for you? No.. Are they bad for you? Probably.. Can they help people get off tobacco? Sure well maybe, maybe not.. A lot of the fluff over them is they're unregulated and big tobacco(and the government) who has a a lot of money to throw around and lose, is scrambling. That was a great documentary that best describes what's going on in that industry.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The best way to stop smoking is to do as I did 38 years ago. Just quit. I went from a pack and a half to two packs a day to none. We had a baby due in a couple of months. It was the last week of the month and I had enough cash to either buy a carton or buy groceries. Groceries won out. I finished the last pack I had and that was it. My wife said I was a bear to live with for about two weeks. I haven't smoked since then.
    I too was a pack and half to 2 pack a day, and I tried to quit cold several times, I was at my DR's office for something else, and asked him what's the best way to quit, he gave me this kit and a script for zyban, and with that I was able to quit, the hardest part for me was coffee, I love my coffee and coffee with out cig back then was almost impossible, but I was able to do it also, got on the med, and picked my date to quit when the last pack ran out, and have been cig. free now going on 15 years, I say cig free, cause I do light up a cigar once in a great while, and puff, but the last one of them was when my son was born, 5 years ago.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

I quit smoking in March, and have been vaping every since. I buy everything online to get good vapor at a low cost. As a long time tobacco user, I can tell you vaping is much better as in, no coughing, no body aches, and no smoke odor. I kinda hoped my sense of smell would return, but no luck on that. I sure can breath better. I look at it as a stepping stone to kicking the nicotine addiction. With a 6% PG/VG mix, it's just enough to take the edge off. CIGARETTES SUCK!
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar

Hi , my name is Henry , and I'm a Smoker ... I have been smoke-free for almost two years ..........

I quit smoking ( little cigars and cigarillos ) almost two years ago .
    YEP . Did the Vapor thing for a few weeks .... it was OK I guess : but ;
    I didn't really see a plus side of using those e-cig's ... so I quit that too .

I am glad I quit ... and I commend any of us smokers that do quit , and offer support to any of us that want to quit .

( P.S. I did not become one of those fanatics that will not leave you alone about smoking )
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Recent studies have shown that e-cigs are no less harmful or slightly less so than regular cigarettes because of the concentration. You may actually be taking in as much toxins as 8 cigarettes at once depending on the potency of the mixture being vapourized. It's all speculative however, as studies have gone both ways. As far as I can tell through my own research (which I highly recommend everyone doing at all times! Don't be spoonfed information by anyone, be critical in your logic!), I would side with the newer studies saying it's approximately as dangerous or more dangerous than cigarettes.

My only reason for favouring them is the lack of second-hand effects. Because it's vapour, it doesn't linger in the air for the next poor soul sitting across the room from you. It's still a similar effect if you're in the immediate proximity in regards to secondhand effects, but at the rate it dissipates into the air you would have to be blowing the vapour directly into someone's face. Let the smokers have their little toys so they can feel slightly more accepted again, with the increased intake of garbage, they won't be around long enough to complain anyways!

Edit: sauce - Harmful chemical linked to factory lung condition is found in e-cigarette liquid | Mail Online - links in the article refer to investigative studies
    E-cigarettes 'contain higher levels of certain toxins than regular cigarettes'* | Mail Online - More studies

I realize it's the daily mail, and some may say it's biased, but it ties into my original point of doing your own research. I only did a cursory Google search to find these, not my original links from several months ago.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts neergish's Avatar
    A little bit to the left of the centre of the known universe.

I've never smoked myself, but I did buy some Vaping gear for my 76 year old father who has been a heavy smoker since he was 12 . Oh yes he rattles when he breaths now, shovels in a pile of pills everyday and has had the heart attacks and all the rest of the issues that go along with the habit. I never thought he would give up totally, he has tried a couple of times but I guess its way to late in life for that now, but I thought it might save him a few $ and at least help him cut back.

First I got my father a cheap disposable ecig to try. He seemed to take too it so I invested a little more in some proper imported juice and a cartridge based tobacco pipe shaped unit. He sucked on that thing like a champ, he even took it along with him on doctors visits to show off. However the pipe died after a short while, a combination of nasty electronics and a cheap battery and him over filling cartridges. I then got him a proper tank based unit with extra batteries and all the mod cons, he used that for a month or so but then he used it less and less. Now all the gear has been put up on a shelf permanently, although he will occasionally pull it down to show of to guests. I have suggested to him I could get him a better pipe but I think he has gone off the idea. It was a novelty for a while but it didn't have the same ritualistic process that revolves around smoking, the creation of fire, the making of smoke the disposing of butts, it just didn't take hold on his imagination. Smoking is a habit beyond the burning of tobacco itself.
    "See if you can rent a spring hook and a phillips screwdriver it will make your life that much easier..."