Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KonicaMinolta Tech. 250+ Posts CMB's Avatar

are you downsizing your vehicle because of gas prices?

if so, what are you looking to get? i'm looking at the Honda fit or the Toyota matrix. the FIT is a 3 cylinder that (i heard) gets around 40 MPG. do not know what the matrix gets. the honda civic and the scion car( not box) also look pretty good.
    http://christianoutdoorsman.com/forums/
    www.lewisdigital.net
    Lewis Digital
    630-1 Capital Circle N.E. | Tallahassee, FL 32301
    Telephone: 850.222.4418

Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. 1 Peter 2:12

Service Manager 100+ Posts dbrownlee's Avatar
    Yup, picked up a used PT cruiser last week. Saving my F150 for weekends. Doubled my average MPG.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    are you downsizing your vehicle because of gas prices?

Scion box

I like the Scion Xb (for box). Lot's of space, 30mpg even in the city. I've done nothing but wash it & change the oil for 25k miles.

The Fit looked a little too snug for my cargo. I've got to be able to get a CS-5050 inside with all the accessories.

The Matrix has the 2.5L instead of the 2.8L I think. I was not impressed with the acceleration.

If you can go really small, look at the Yaris.

I just went through the same shopping 5 months ago.

=^..^=

we have a toaster (scion xb) for a company vehicle, and i can't stand driving it. i cannot get the seat comfrontable and my back starts hurting after a while.

the yaris is too small. although it would be great on parking somewhere.

the FIT or MATRIX would suit me fine because i do not carry a lot of parts.

anyway i look at it, i'm buying either a HONDA or TOYOTA, you can't wear them out. i'm driving a 4 wheel drive tacoma v6 on calls. i bought brand spanking in 99 and now have 155 plus and still runs great. only gets 20 MPG.
    www.lewisdigital.net
    Lewis Digital

Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. 1 Peter 2:12

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    We have a fleet of the Xb's also. I don't particularly like the car. It's noisy on the highway, seat isn't the most comfortable, and the cargo area is deceptively small even with the back seats removed. It's slow and I think under equipped in the brake department. The upside is it does get good gas mileage even when it's full of parts and so far the only mechanical down side is the garbage tires Toyota put on them.

But, I don't pay for the company vehicle so I don't complain too much.

speak of the devil. my co-worker had a blowout yesterday on an out of town call. the car is about a year old(scion xb). sad part was he could not find the jack.
    www.lewisdigital.net
    Lewis Digital

It's hidden under the driver's seat. The bad part is when you have parts bins stacked from the floor to the top of the seat when it happens. It took breaking out the owners manual to actually find it. What where those engineers thinking not putting it with the spare? That is just plain daft in my opinion. It's like keeping the salt and pepper shakers in different cabinets.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    speak of the devil. my co-worker had a blowout yesterday on an out of town call. the car is about a year old(scion xb). sad part was he could not find the jack.

I'm not a serious lead foot or tire squealer but, I only got 12k on the first set. Granted they weren't ever rotated, but then thats still only 24k.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Scott_Lewis's Avatar
    Our 'out of town' car was, and still is on occasion, a 1999 Dodge van. That thing would only get 11-12 mpg. Thing is we drive it about 4000 miles a month. Hell, getting any economy car would pay for itself just in the difference in gas mileage.

We finally got the boss to spring for a nice used Chevy HHR. Oh what a pleasure that is to drive. No more getting beat up by the wind and gets 30mpg on the highway. It is basically a wagon with fold down rear seats that has enough space for our needs. The driver's compartment isn't perfect for me. At least my feet, knees and back don't hurt anymore.

Apparently we looked into getting the HHR instead of the Xb but the HHR didn't come in white when they first came out. Never mind they hold as much as the PT Losers we got ride of. Yes I'm a little jealous.