Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    " Call a Tech" really is an answer

I recently read a post, where not far into it, it was obvious that the poster was not a tech. The responder picked up on this and answered " Call a Tech"! The original poster took offense to this and replied "That is not an answer"! Well I am not criticizing or pointing fingers I just thought I'd share what went through my mind when reading this.

In my 35 years as a tech I have attempted many repairs on equipment I was unfamiliar with or untrained on. Sometimes it went well others times it has gone terribly wrong ( I wished I had called a qualified tech!) Most of us realize Tech's are a special breed they are proud of their accomplishments and love helping others, nothing brings a smile to a tech face more than a satisfied customer, or an "At a boy" from the boss. And nothing bothers a Tech more than a machine messed up by an unqualified user or Tech! These issues are a thorn in the Tech's side, or a pebble in their shoe and the reason they drink at the end of the day.

Yes " Call a Qualified Tech!" is sometimes the best advise that can be given.
    Online Store is closed. Chip resetting is a thing of the past! Thank you to all my past customers.
    Now into Ip TV KODI Boxes

Re: " Call a Tech" really is an answer

Yes - understand all the points made - but there is also an attitude from some that unless you are a tech then it is impossible to do this, that or whatever. It always assumes that the person asking is not capable of doing whatever they are enquiring about - and this is an assumption that is a very broad generalisation. A great many people are capable of diagnosing and in fact repairing machines if they are given a little help or a nudge in the right direction. It reminds me of a post on here where the guy was told to 'call a etch' or 'replace this'......'replace that' etc.......when in fact the guy was able to diagnose faults at board level - something I imagine very few techs would........and was able to do a repair at component level........this guy was more than capable of fixing his own machine...just wanted a bit of advice.

I also understand the argument - if you are a trained tech - then you don't want to give your knowledge away for free - try asking a garage to give you an opinion on a vehicle fault for free - most won't citing that you need to bring the vehicle in to let them see it and charge you - yet a great deal of vehicle end users are perfectly able to fault find and repair vehicles themselves.

In my household - I am expected to repair all the domestic appliances including the cars, building work - yet are trained on none of them. I will never 'call a tech' - as I don't have to. Information for these repairs is usually freely available on the web. If I need to repair my whatever - I don't call a tech - just get on with it.

I do accept that some will NEVER be able to repair things, some will make it worse - but a good few are more than capable.....

I think that in the main, the people on here who are not techs and are asking advice - are the kind of people who will NEVER call a tech - that is why they are looking for advice in the first place. If they can fix it - then all well and good - if it is a disaster - then on their head be it...they are not here to be rude or offensive in the main, and often don't deserve to be treated rudely or offensively.....

And yes - a good tech can and should be proud of his work.....and 'call a tech' is the correct answer in a lot of cases - but not them all..........

Just my thoughts, however random they seem...

Keep smiling.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Works most of the time. A customer that had their machines replaced with Lexmarks, ran about 500,000 on one of them in 3 months. Machine was jamming real bad. Called Lexmark and the guy that showed up took a look at the counter and said "Well, when you get over 400,000, it's just going to do that." I was stunned. I didn't know you could say that while claiming to be a tech.

Not all techs are created equal!
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

I really don't mind non techs asking for a little advice now and then. It is the "techs" that come on asking for another tech to troubleshoot, diagnose and fix their problem for them. Come on, at least try to fix it first before begging for the answer.
    I get the most satisfaction from this job from the machines that seemed unfixable and then, in the end, getting them going. Even though I don't get a standing ovation I feel like I had just scored the Stanley Cup winning goal. LOL
    Just my two cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    I really don't mind non techs asking for a little advice now and then. It is the "techs" that come on asking for another tech to troubleshoot, diagnose and fix their problem for them. Come on, at least try to fix it first before begging for the answer.
    I get the most satisfaction from this job from the machines that seemed unfixable and then, in the end, getting them going. Even though I don't get a standing ovation I feel like I had just scored the Stanley Cup winning goal. LOL
    Just my two cents worth.

Fair point - but as someone else mentioned there are techs and there are techs. Some have great diagnostics and feel - others are fitters and hopers....get there in the enders......!!

There is nothing better than fixing the unfixable - other than doing it using no parts and spending no money - can cause a grin that will just not be removed!!!.....

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Most of the threads where I have seen a senior recommend "Call A Tech", it is after a number of us have given usable advice that had not been taken or the the original poster does not seem to understand. If we recommend "Get a service manual" it is because the answers to their questions can be found in the service manual. If you have a manual you can refer to that while still in front of the machine and usually have the customer up and going unless you need parts. If I tell you that you need to have Goose's Guide I expect that you will search the forum for where to get it (it's free). If they come back later asking about how to get it, I will even tell them what to search for down to the post number of the post where I uploaded it. If they still cannot help themselves, I wash my hands of the problem. I will also put users on my Ignore list that repeatably irritate me. My pet peeve is those who respond bitterly to posts they don't like. My advice, if you don't like what someone says in a technical forum, Private Message that person, don't air your dirty laundry on a public forum.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Most of the threads where I have seen a senior recommend "Call A Tech", it is after a number of us have given usable advice that had not been taken or the the original poster does not seem to understand.
    I reference the user aab1...............
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    I reference the user aab1...............
    ... and his amazing hyper modified inkjet printer. He just refused to recognize responses he didn't like. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I will also put users on my Ignore list that repeatably irritate me.
    I guess I know where I am!!

I have told users and techs to call a tech that has been trained on the machine from time to time because I know how easy this or that procedure is to brick a machine (kill it really bad for those who do not know). I have also giving detailed instructions via pm. If the "tech" or enduser still cannot do this then I will tell them to call a tech. And yes I have been told off both on the forum and via pm because of it. I have no way of judging someones technically expertise from a post or two so I may prematurely tell you to call a tech. If so pm me and let me know.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

I agree with all threads...

A little bit of emapthy though. You'll have the rare over paid IT end user who has the corporate boss breathing down his neck, with words like "I pay you good money per week get the problem fixed."
    In turn you might see those IT guys post here on the forum looking to save their backside and pay cheque.

They should still call a Tech if they're not sure.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••