Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Well, I haven't had this as a call ...yet

Back in the late '80s, I had a call on a Canon NP 7550 for trail edge skewing and bad transfer.

The trans / sep corona was good.

When I pulled the back cover off, there he was; the little sucker had sunk his pointy little fangs into the transfer HV cable...he was quite fried.

I extricated him, by a fang, with my forceps.

When I showed the print show owner, he said, "Oh look! The only Canon copier with a mouse!".

Funny, really freakin' funny....
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Well, I haven't had this as a call ...yet

fixed chewed up wires many times, found turds in the optics, and actually found the dead one in the gear drive of a Savin analog 60 ppm duplex unit Back in the Day...............................
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I had a di470 that was erasing about 2 inches on one side. I was really stumped until remembering another tech had pulled a dead mouse out of that machine weeks earlier. Sure enough, a strip of paper the critter had drug into the machine was blocking the laser.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I've removed 5 mice during my career. 1 would have qualified as a rat and it was in an old HP IIISI. Fried in the fuser.

I've also seen a variety of insects, spiders, a baby scorpion, and snake skin, from the animal kingdom.
    From the people kingdom, I've seen fingernails, hair wrapped around rollers (complete with skin tags), used condoms (eww factor), and my personal favorite a wooden marijuana container complete with a supply of weed in it, a removeable pipe, and a compartment with matches.

Guess there isn't too much I haven't seen in them.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar

Had an FS1370 printer at a school start throwing a laser error code. Drove to the site, opened the machine to inspect the laser unit. Found a bunch of ants had taken up residence in there. Blew out the ants and was instructed to tell the customer that next time this would be billable. Someone with poison was spraying the building before I had gotten the machine back together.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

One of the other techs found this little present for him lodged in the itb.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Back in the late '80s, a friend of mine serviced big screen TVs.

Keep in mind that "big screen" TVs were projection TVs.

He had a call for thin "arcing" lines in the picture, sometimes they would actually move.

Once he got into it, he found that a fairly large spider was playing "Spider Man", or possibly "Tarzan" (not sure which), happily swinging around in the TV's innards.

Whichever end he was frolicking at would determine the magnification of the arc; sometimes big, sometimes small.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Different industry, but I saw what happened to a large rat that took a walk across 480 3-Phase terminals. Wish I had a pic of what was left of him.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

There was a 3M M537 copier at a grain storage facility that I got to work on years ago. The M537 was a moving platen machine, and it had a rotating encoder to ensure the speed of the platen was correct.
    The call was for blurry copies. When I got there, I saw the platen was not moving at a regular speed, but speeding up and slowing down in a rather random fashion. When I took the back off the machine, I found that a mouse had got caught in the encoder, and had been skinned by it. The skin was covering some of the slots of the encoder, causing the irregular platen speed. Bits of the mouse had also been distributed throughout the back of the machine.
    That was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in a copier.