Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    KonicaMinolta Tech. 250+ Posts CMB's Avatar

what do you do when you get burned out?

been feeling bummed out lately. actually been fishing around for new career. changes been going on at office, and i don't like them. great company to work for. the admin are the best. bottom line is i guess i'm just tired of working on copiers..........
    http://christianoutdoorsman.com/forums/
    www.lewisdigital.net
    Lewis Digital
    630-1 Capital Circle N.E. | Tallahassee, FL 32301
    Telephone: 850.222.4418

Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. 1 Peter 2:12

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    You gotta find what clicks for you. I work for a very "uniquely managed company", but its still a good job. But before that I had some suck-ass jos. The last auto parts factory I worked for, now has moved most of it's operation to Mexico, and we really don't have time to talk about the joys of selling mobile homes. When the others complain about work, I just tell them they haven't had a bad job yet. You have to admit there is a certain joy in being a master of machines. Sometimes you have to work a job as a way to get a paycheck and find your fulfillment outside the workplace.

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Been in your shoes before and what I did was while driving around, between calls, if I found a company or business that looked interesting I would stop in and talk with them. Print out a bunch of updated resumes and carry them around with you. I even got to the point that I would stack a few in with the grocery list and if I ran into someone that I had an interesting conversation with, I would hand them a resume. Did it help me get another job... no! But I got to meet a whole lot of interesting people and most importantly it allowed me to "test the waters and see what was out there, for me".

In my situation, I found that I was sorta trapped in my career, at that time. As frustrating as it was, it made me reevaluate where I was in my career with the company I was with. By doing so, it forced me to accept where I was, at that time, but set goals for the future.

That was roughly 4 and a half years ago. I have since reached all but two of the career goals I set for myself. Those are obtaining my A+ and Net+ certifications. And I have surpassed my financial goals, although I see now that those were meager, but I am on a track that seems to be heading up.

As for now, ask yourself some questions about your current situation. Of course you don't have to answer them here. But ask yourself, "What was it that I used to like about working on copiers so much?" If you have been working on these things long enough, don't be afraid to take a few days or even a week to settle on an answer. Once answered, and content on that single answer, ask yourself "What's changed?".

I have a motto that I told the two owners of our company at my first interview with them, "If I don't like the way that you do business or run your business, then I will go somewhere else." I did warn them though that I asked a lot of questions about the business and I might even not agree with everything. But as long as I could, in good conscious, go out and do my calls I would be alright.

And I guess, to end this long winded post, I will suggest a book that you may have heard of... 48 Days - Your Source for Career Building! (48 Days `til the work you love, by Dan Miller) Also, if you ever just need someone to vent to or looking for advice, shot me a PM. As you might not have noticed with my postings... talking should have been my middle name.

I have been in the biz for 16 years on my own with no vacations.(Nothing more than 3 day weekend)

I garden,fish and go to the gym. I am burnt right now

Senior Tech 250+ Posts dogsbody's Avatar
    my motivation for the job goes up and down, there aways seems to be something to bring me up again from the low, it may be a new model, a tender i am involved with, or fixing a problem for someone or figuring out why it wont print or scan.
    I look after about 350 machines and do almost all the printing/scanning jobs (for everyone) and they are almost always something different - which keeps it interesting.
    if all i did was "fix boxes" it would become just a job that i would eventually grow bored with, but there is always something new to learn colour, networking, the next model...

hope i made some sense...
    Last edited by dogsbody; 05-02-2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: far far far too long
    The force will be with you always.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Sure, I've been burned out before. I did just what Unisys suggested:

I made up some resumes' and started talking to lots of people. You can come to one of two conclusions. 1) This is an opportunity I can't pass up. or 2) It's really not so bad here after all.

I've worked for four different dealers over the last 20 years. There's always a couple of reasons I've regretted leaving (i.e. great pay or lots of freedom). But it was outweighed by the negative (i.e. 25 to 30 service calls and no help on the way, or a branch/sales manager that was only interested in extracting every possible dollar out of the business).

It's a tough spot to be in. I've been there many times........

Just think it through completely. And yes, PM anytime. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Fixing copiers, especially if u fix them for someone "else", it's a tough job already even without that last. U must have a good motivation to continue and motivation is a life.And "life" basicly is a Bills for electricity, bills for wather,food,mobile phone BILLS FOR EVERYTHING and if ur a lazy....then GOD is only thing that can help u (not thinking on CMB but for guy and girl throughout world), but why would GOD help lazy people?

I didn't work in any construction company....actually i didn't work nothing else then servicing the copiers!
    Why did i mentioned construction company? well what is a better job...,to dig a hole and poor wet contrite in it no matter what day it is, extream sunny, rain, snow....
    OR to hold an screwdriver and clamps in gent cloths(nice pants, nice shoo etc.), in climated rooms, driving a car...not walking (even tho sometimes i think i walked 5 miles after a busy day ). It's not comparable !

Hava a nice and prosper day, ENJOY while u don't die... i have a good example on very close person that i felt too that life is a short

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

A few options options

1. Join the Army, Free place to stay, meals, clothing and ammo
    2. buy lottery tickets, lots of lottery tickets.
    3. Crime, you either get cool free stuff OR a place to stay, meals, clothing (no ammo)
    4. Stick with the copier gig, it pretty low stress, no clock, os is never within ten miles of you, really not too bad.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jimbo1's Avatar
    1. Cut the soles out of your shoes, live in a tree and learn to play the flute.

2. Go spend your days putting slinkies on the excalators in the mall.

"Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you."

Cdr. William Riker

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    step 1 : Go to pub
    step 2 : Cry in beer (repeat as necessary)
    step 3 : Cry in whiskey (repeat as necessary)