Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Re: Dumbest thing u have seen a tech do!

Below is a SHARP part number and description.

UKOG-0238FCZZ
    FLOIL G-484

Semi Transparent grease
    Primarily used for lubricating wrap spring
    clutches.

I use LUCAS heavy duty bearing grease. A small tub should last you a lifetime.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Below is a SHARP part number and description.

UKOG-0238FCZZ
    FLOIL G-484

Semi Transparent grease
    Primarily used for lubricating wrap spring
    clutches.

I use LUCAS heavy duty bearing grease. A small tub should last you a lifetime.

Good old wheel bearing grease. Tried that on a C452 fuser once.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Dumbest thing u have seen a tech do!

I just remember, not a long time ago, doing a fuser film replacement on a HP printer I noticed a familiar bronze paste instead of fixing grease. It was processor thermal paste.
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

hi all
    we all got some memorable moments, I am sure some more then others.
    my was with Sharp SF-8300 old machine. The fans were installed wrong from factory, on some units
    it was sucking the air in, and it needed to blow it out . the easiest way to test the fans was with the lighter.
    you put the flame near the cover and you can easily see which way the flame bends.
    in my case it sucked the flame in on to the filters, which started to burn. not a nice feeling
    that was when I stripped that cover faster than any other cover ever. to remove the smouldering filters.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The company I worked for hired on a tech, we sir named " Bangs and Brows," within the first week, he managed to singe off some of his bangs and eyebrows. He was cleaning the back of a Sharp 8250 with canned air and blew it into the fuser. I will never forget him walking into the door with a dumbfounded look on his face and missing hair. A month or so later, after his bangs grew back in, he was working on a Sharp 2118/ 2020, if you have ever worked on those pigs, I'm sure you can remember when the adjustable lens would skip a gear tooth or two, due to lack of lubrication on the rail. Well, apparently he was not aware of this known issue, and instead of lubing the rail and aligning the lens back to home position, he proceeded to to adjust the mirrors in the dark box to compensate for the blurry copies and never bothered to adjust the lens. I was the tech that was called out after him, now the problem was the copies were blurry when they enlarged or reduced. Upon arrival, I installed the lens back to home position and lubed the rail, now all the copies were blurry, so I called " Bangs and Brows" and asked him what he had done, his response to me was " I just cleaned the copier" and that was it. I spent about two hours on it, could not get the copies into focus, so I picked it up and brought it back to the shop. The next day I was working on it and " Bangs and Brows" came over to my station and asked me what I was working on. I told him the copier with the blurry copies, he still did not mention a word to me about any "modifications," he made. I worked on it for a couple more hours and discovered the mirrors in the dark box had been moved out of home position. I called up " bangs and brows' and asked him if he moved the mirrors, he then acted surprised and admitted to me he had been to the call for blurry copies and adjusted the mirrors in the dark box, I couldn't believe it!! Well, needless to say he wasn't there much longer, apparently, he wiped out a Sharp 9750 drum with a paper clip the was stuck to the dev. unit after he cleaned the copier. I will never forget " Bangs and Brows" as long as I am living, looking back on it now, makes me laugh every time.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I didn't see it, but customer caught the tech jerking his meat in the supply closet.

Quote Originally Posted by atwageman View Post
    I didn't see it, but customer caught the tech jerking his meat in the supply closet.
    he was making beef jerky

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Must have been a newbie. They tend to get really excited when they figure out something on their own. And you should be happy you didn't see it. Poor customer will have that vision every time he goes to that closet.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Must have been a newbie. They tend to get really excited when they figure out something on their own. And you should be happy you didn't see it. Poor customer will have that vision every time he goes to that closet.
    o the excitement of the 1-st fix.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

He saw something or someone in there , got lost in a trance and had a zen moment, out of control. couldn't wait till he got home.

yeh, i has a good laugh at this one and shared it with the kids at work.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke