Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Dumbest thing u have seen a tech do!

Found this guy with just over a years experience. So being the junior i can ask him to do things for me from time to time like building up web units for a Konica Minolta B601. Gave him a used unit and a new 3de party "refill" to do, got it back in a box and of i went to the customer. On getting there the web is installed the wrong way round (that takes some doing), checked the installed web and there was still a little life left so after the rest of my calls getting back to the office and showed him that it was faulty and gave him another used one to copy explaining that the big roll goes on the side without the gear. This is the part i could not get over, he took the sample and rebuilt if the same way as the one he screwed up already!!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Dumbest thing u have seen a tech do!

The single dumbest thing? I don't think that I can narrow it down. Here's a few:

We had a Mita DC-131 in the shop with the back off. I can't remember why it was being serviced, but I was watching the tabletop drive chain cycling back and forth. One of our senior techs comments that the bicycle chain drive is unbreakable. So he takes my screwdriver and jams it into one of the links of the chain, stalling the motor. "Now you've got something to fix" he says.

We had a tech years ago that worked on and off at two different branches of the company. He came in asking for a Mita DC-1205 lamp cable, because the lamp wasn't lighting intermittently. About an hour later he came back, and asked for another lamp cable. "Why do you need two?" He said: "I got it installed, and tie-wrapped in place, but when I went to cut the tie wrap ... I accidentally cut the harness instead."

This same tech thought that those lamp shading plates/shutters were an invention of the devil, specifically there to cut the back of his fingers when cleaning optics. To remedy this major injustice, he loosened the screws, and pulled back all those little shading plates, so there was lots of room to clean the reflector, lamp, and mirror. At the same time he un-adjusted the exposure evenness on every machine he touched. The really curious part, is that he could not understand how moving those plates that shade the lamp could make any difference in lightening or darkening the copy. He continued to un-adjust every single machine he touched. Some people shouldn't be technicians.

This same tech had an oiler, and used it on every opportunity. He oiled electromagnetic clutches, greaseable spring-wrap clutches, magnetic torque limiters, leather friction clutches, fuser rollers, photointerrupters ... well, just about everything. Some people shouldn't be technicians.

More later =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Well now we've dated ourselves by the DC 131
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

They don't sell those any more? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Just took a customer from a crappy dealer. Their major complaint on one machine was that the bypass didn't work. Customer said dealer took machine into shop for a month to repair, brought it back, and it still didn't work. I got into it and realized the entire paper feed drive unit had been taken apart. Somehow they got all the gears back into place but they put the bushings on backwards and used some kind of glue to hold them in place, which didn't hold. Then they didn't ground the unit and promptly fried about 5 wires. They used electrical tape to wrap the wires and sent the machine back still ungrounded. I could wiggle a drive gear and cause sparks which assured me the account after I showed the customer.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    They don't sell those any more? =^..^=
    I hope the afore mentioned tech is no longer working with you; leaving "time bombs" in machines is a no-no!
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I pulled that account from the competition. I couldn't believe what I saw. Been getting many complaints about them. Think they are failing.

Probably not the best place to admit ones self, but on one of my first service calls with a senior tech, I pulled out a drum unit from a KM upside down and filled his bag with waste toner.

One tech primes the new C654 color IU's before installing and keep on replacing the transfer rollers because they are full of yellow toner from the factory even called KM to complain about it.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

When my territory tripled in size, they hired a second "tech" to help. He had never worked on copiers. He had an online degree in electronics, and that got him the job. The first training they sent him to was for Lanier color printers. This shows how smart my management is, as the contract was for Konica Minolta b&w boxes. He went to school with another real tech. Came back and found out he had smoked the machine they were training on. Lanier ask he not be sent back. Shop kept him 6 more years until the contract ended. Made my life miserable. He was one of those people who would ask a question and if the answer seemed hard, he would ask someone else. Couldn't figure out how to fix something? No problem, he would tell the customer they couldn't use that feature.

During that contract, the delivery guys tipped over a Di470. Bent the frame. They took it back to shop and the service manager declared it to be OK. I would then get these repeat calls on it, because the right side door would not stay shut. Finially went to the owner and had it pulled. Service manager sent it back out. The last time I worked on it my ticket read..."Works fine if you keep a large heavy desk up against the right side"
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking