Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Dumbest thing u have seen a tech do!

Re: Dumbest thing u have seen a tech do!

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Found this guy with just over a years experience. So being the junior i can ask him to do things for me from time to time like building up web units for a Konica Minolta B601. Gave him a used unit and a new 3de party "refill" to do, got it back in a box and of i went to the customer. On getting there the web is installed the wrong way round (that takes some doing), checked the installed web and there was still a little life left so after the rest of my calls getting back to the office and showed him that it was faulty and gave him another used one to copy explaining that the big roll goes on the side without the gear. This is the part i could not get over, he took the sample and rebuilt if the same way as the one he screwed up already!!!
    You ever hear of teamwork? A year in the business means you're still learning. Did you show him the right way to do it?
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    You ever hear of teamwork? A year in the business means you're still learning. Did you show him the right way to do it?
    Yes, you can show him the most basic things and the next day he would be clueless as how to do it again. Things like inserting an IP address installing developer changing a drum on a B211 changing the front side of a paper tray. Noting with this guy sticks he just does not care.

I am very patient with instructing and teaching having to train and work with customers every day, i can make an interested trainee fully competent on a B601 in 16 working hours. I cant get this guy to stand still for 30min and he seems to defend himself for no reason.
    He received a warning a couple of days ago for, and get this squashing a mylar underneath a sincro unit, mis installing the registration clutch and neglecting to initialize new developer on a single BH250 in one call.

A year into this job i was doing full PM's on high volume Ricoh's and installs by my self you get a manual that explains it step by step. This job is not an easy way to a paycheck and that is all this is to him he does not care about how much money he would waste in his day to day actions. Someone like this would cost you $85 ontop of his pay every day.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Dumbest thing u have seen a tech do!

It wouldn't cost me dick. I don't have anybody working for me. If I did, I wouldn't cry my service managers woes about it on an open forum. That's disrespectful to your employee. If he's not working out, let him go and life will move on.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

I wish it was so easy, in ZA if you hire someone for more than 3 months its almost impossible to fire them without going thru a very lengthy procedure. Here it is very common for about 30% of the work force to do everybodies work. In government i would guess 10% which is already having dire effect. But enough of that.

My biggest confesion is dropping a drum on a Oce TDS450 dont try to do that alone!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Dumbist thing I seen a "tech"do, he was working on a Sharp 7300, the front door broke, this had the interlock to cut the power, so to keep the customer happy, he forced an object into the cutout, so they could carry on using it.....and so the customer could open the clamshell to remove paper misfeeds, with the m/c live

Dumbist thing I ever did, was working on a Rexel computershred shredder, used to have a back lid with a cut out, so customers could clear jams, I had the lid off in the workshop, and forgot to flick the cutout switch, i was looking at the belt tension going from the motor pulley to the pulley on the shredding head, as I leant forward I needed to lean on something, the first thing I contacted was the "forward" button....there wasn't enough room for a piece of paper to fit between the belt & the pulley....but 2 of my fingers managed it.......
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Technician

I was a young tech and was checking voltage on a power supply. a hot nurse walks by and not looking where I was moving my probes, I shorted a hot lead to ground and took out all the computers and lights in the registration area in the hospital I was in. They reset the breakers and everythig was fine. I got ot of there as fast as I could so they would not know it was Me that caused the outage. boy did I feel DUMB.

Technician

the dumbest and funniest thing I saw was when one tech was showing a new tech to never touch this part in the back of the machine when the machine is on. Then by accident did it, knocking him off the stool he was sitting on. He jumps up and says, That's why you don't want to touch there. All the other techs where on the floor laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Yes, you can show him the most basic things and the next day he would be clueless as how to do it again. Things like inserting an IP address installing developer changing a drum on a B211 changing the front side of a paper tray. Noting with this guy sticks he just does not care.

I am very patient with instructing and teaching having to train and work with customers every day, i can make an interested trainee fully competent on a B601 in 16 working hours. I cant get this guy to stand still for 30min and he seems to defend himself for no reason.
    He received a warning a couple of days ago for, and get this squashing a mylar underneath a sincro unit, mis installing the registration clutch and neglecting to initialize new developer on a single BH250 in one call.

A year into this job i was doing full PM's on high volume Ricoh's and installs by my self you get a manual that explains it step by step. This job is not an easy way to a paycheck and that is all this is to him he does not care about how much money he would waste in his day to day actions. Someone like this would cost you $85 ontop of his pay every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    It wouldn't cost me dick. I don't have anybody working for me. If I did, I wouldn't cry my service managers woes about it on an open forum. That's disrespectful to your employee. If he's not working out, let him go and life will move on.
    No im not a service manager, I am the guy who needs to work twice as hard to do my own work and fix what he is messing up. After taking special time on ride alongs with me he told me that he hates the work and does not care about it.
    In a small company with 4 techs and a base of 500 machines the other 2 techs being brilliant youngsters one of which is the service manager, one guy not playing with the tune is really noticeable.

I do apologize if that came thru as being disrespectful. You have to experience this to understand my frustration.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Seeing the owners son get his tie caught in the gears of a Scriptomatic addressing machine. He had been in the service dept for less than 6 months and within a year made it to service manager. Like the saying goes at IBM, if you can't fix it, then you get promoted.

The dumbest thing Ive seen, is designing a machine that moves chads on a conveyor belt. to the door. MP 6001 series. In my market we call this series of machine the "Tapered Series" or the "Code Generator Series" Piss poor design. Constantly throwing codes and the punch jams up with chads all the time if they use it a lot.