Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Technician

Unhappy Re: Dumbest thing u have seen a tech do!

When I first started working as a copier tech, I was working on updating the firmware on a BH C35 (through the computer it was connected to) and it had been stuck on 50% for about 45 minutes. Well I know what to do now but at the time I didn't so I just powered the machine off and back on. Well turns out that is a big no no lol. Ended up replacing the machine.

Re: Dumbest thing u have seen a tech do!

Quote Originally Posted by altech View Post
    When I first started working as a copier tech, I was working on updating the firmware on a BH C35 (through the computer it was connected to) and it had been stuck on 50% for about 45 minutes. Well I know what to do now but at the time I didn't so I just powered the machine off and back on. Well turns out that is a big no no lol. Ended up replacing the machine.

Know the feeling. I was doing firmware on a Panasonic DP 2510 i think. The lan cable had to go across the room so the next tech that came in decided it was in the way and unplugged the cable in the middle of the upgrade.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Back in the day when Lanier was switching from analog Toshibas to digital Ricohs, I got a call on a 7320 (analog Toshiba) that wouldn't turn on. I got to the place, and besides the machine not turning on, a bright blast of plasma would come out from the bottom of the power switch when it was turned on. It actually looked kind of cool to me, but that's beside the point.
    Turned out someone had installed a Ricoh thermostat in place of the Toshiba thermofuse, and the thing was shorting out to the fuser frame.
    Actually that must have worked for a little while as the other tech got out the door. I never found out who the other tech was, and I really wasn't that interested either as the machine was located in a bakery and they gave me cookies for fixing their machine.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Dumbest thing u have seen a tech do!

That reminds me of a tech I knew that paper clipped both thermal fuses on a Mita DC-142RE. I was rebuilding that fuser two years after his exit from the company. I discovered the clippage, but that's not the best part. It was at a fire department. How long do you suppose it would have taken for a fire investigator to find it, in the ashes of the fire station? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Brett GS's Avatar

I go to machines so often that a previous tech has hit and run and sprayed Q20 into the clutches and transport section bushings,the only thing to do is replaced all the clutches and strip and clean the now sticky toners out of the bushings. It still beyond me that guys thinks oil in clutches stop paper jamming.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    That reminds me of a tech I knew that paper clipped both thermal fuses on a Mita DC-142RE. I was rebuilding that fuser two years after his exit from the company. I discovered the clippage, but that's not the best part. It was at a fire department. How long do you suppose it would have taken for a fire investigator to find it, in the ashes of the fire station? =^..^=
    2 years and no fire,luck was on that techs side.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett GS View Post
    I go to machines so often that a previous tech has hit and run and sprayed Q20 into the clutches and transport section bushings,the only thing to do is replaced all the clutches and strip and clean the now sticky toners out of the bushings. It still beyond me that guys thinks oil in clutches stop paper jamming.

I tried that once on a Ricoh 3025. Not a good move at all.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Back in the day when Lanier was switching from analog Toshibas to digital Ricohs, I got a call on a 7320 (analog Toshiba) that wouldn't turn on. I got to the place, and besides the machine not turning on, a bright blast of plasma would come out from the bottom of the power switch when it was turned on. It actually looked kind of cool to me, but that's beside the point.
    Turned out someone had installed a Ricoh thermostat in place of the Toshiba thermofuse, and the thing was shorting out to the fuser frame.
    Actually that must have worked for a little while as the other tech got out the door. I never found out who the other tech was, and I really wasn't that interested either as the machine was located in a bakery and they gave me cookies for fixing their machine.
    Free cookies fix everything.
    I know I should be ashamed of myself. Strangely though, I am not.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

It still beyond me that guys thinks oil in clutches stop paper jamming. [ quote from earlier thread by Brett GS ]

I agree with that statement for electronic clutches, but for spring or wrap clutches, grease is a must or jamming or outright failure of the clutch will occur. The springs without grease will not release properly and bind and tangled. Some clutches use a combination of electromagnetic and mechanical wrap spring to function
    [ kyocera falcon 2 bypass pickup clutch as an example ]. Techs just replace them instead of repair, or spray the magic oil, thus the clutch works for while and then fails because grease should be used to lubricate those springs and not oil.
    Next time you are to install a spring clutch, disassemble it and examine it and some will be lightly greased and some
    packed with grease, but you will never see them dry.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    It still beyond me that guys thinks oil in clutches stop paper jamming. [ quote from earlier thread by Brett GS ]

I agree with that statement for electronic clutches, but for spring or wrap clutches, grease is a must or jamming or outright failure of the clutch will occur. The springs without grease will not release properly and bind and tangled. Some clutches use a combination of electromagnetic and mechanical wrap spring to function
    [ kyocera falcon 2 bypass pickup clutch as an example ]. Techs just replace them instead of repair, or spray the magic oil, thus the clutch works for while and then fails because grease should be used to lubricate those springs and not oil.
    Next time you are to install a spring clutch, disassemble it and examine it and some will be lightly greased and some
    packed with grease, but you will never see them dry.
    What grease do you suggest?