Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts C.Vallon's Avatar

Ricoh Online Learning Material

So, I've been all over the Ricoh learning site while I wait for actual school dates to come up for the hands on training. Of course I receive plenty of hands on training out in the field with my SR. Tech, but there is so much more to learn, this is made painfully aware to me the more and more I get involved. Yet, the issue I seem to be noticing the most is that the information provided on the Ricoh site doesn't always coincide with the "test" material they give.

I've read the required reading on some of these online courses or self paced programs and honestly felt I had a good understanding of the content only to take the test and find that questions where asked that, by all accounts had not been covered in the reading material I had just gone over! In fact, I've had to go out of my way to research such test questions or even ask my mentor / Sr. Tech as I struggled to find the sources or answers to a few of these questions.

Am I alone in this frustrations or is it a common road blocked caused by what I've been informed to be "a translation of a translation" thus loosing meaning over each said translation of the material?

Of course I've begun to realize that some things I tend to over think and thus over complicate, but still...it leaves me wondering if I'm doing it wrong?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh Online Learning Material

Welcome to the Wondeful World of Ricoh!
    Its the happy land where they go out of their way to call a part by one name in the service manual, another name in the parts manual and a completely different one in the training manual.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    As Lagonda said "welcome to the club"! If you do this online-trainings, it´s the best to open all the myricoh-training-manuals, the service-manual & probably the parts-manual. Make markings of the chapters & write down the pagenumbers for fast finding. The questions in the tests can make you crawl up the walls, i know of what i´m writing. Many of those test-questions have nothing incommon with our daily work! But Ricoh say "you must do this tests, otherwise......"
    So, cursing & making this fu....nny tets is one. So sorry.
    Greetings...

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C.Vallon View Post

Am I alone in this frustrations or is it a common road blocked caused by what I've been informed to be "a translation of a translation" thus loosing meaning over each said translation of the material?
    Its not just Ricoh, I remember an online Toshiba training course which we had to pass before going to class so to speak.

Q Whick statement is correct (choose only one)

1 The drum is positively charged the toner is positively charged.
    2 The drum is positively charged the toner is also positively charged.
    3 The drum is negatively charged the toner is negatively charged.
    4 The drum is negatively charged the toner is also negatively charged.

Maybe my disadvatage here is that English is my one and only language, maybe if it was a secondary the answer would be more obvious. I knew the toner and drum are both negative but 3 and 4 mean the same bloody thing the ony difference are the words "is also"

No points if you get the wrong one, answer comming Saturday.
    Last edited by skynet; 02-05-2015 at 07:14 PM.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Grasshopper has many fields to cross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ricoh isn't the only manufacturer to be this way, but they are 1 of the best at it. I've been to many Ricoh schools in 30 years, and I've seen both sides as at 1 time I was a trainer.....
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Same with Konica Minolta. The translation is bad, but understandable. You have your sincro roller your registration roller and then a timing roller, then you have your upper fusing roller you're fixing roller and of course a heat/hot roller.

I remember going from RICOH to Minolta, the guys would understand what you mean but correct you every time on the correct description of the part.

The first Toshiba copiers shipped to ZA only had Japanese service manuals. That was a fun time figuring stuff out. Phoning/e-mailing the guys in Japan was painful.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C.Vallon View Post
    So, I've been all over the Ricoh learning site while I wait for actual school dates to come up for the hands on training. Of course I receive plenty of hands on training out in the field with my SR. Tech, but there is so much more to learn, this is made painfully aware to me the more and more I get involved. Yet, the issue I seem to be noticing the most is that the information provided on the Ricoh site doesn't always coincide with the "test" material they give.

I've read the required reading on some of these online courses or self paced programs and honestly felt I had a good understanding of the content only to take the test and find that questions where asked that, by all accounts had not been covered in the reading material I had just gone over! In fact, I've had to go out of my way to research such test questions or even ask my mentor / Sr. Tech as I struggled to find the sources or answers to a few of these questions.

Of course I've begun to realize that some things I tend to over think and thus over complicate, but still...it leaves me wondering if I'm doing it wrong?
    That is why, young Padawan, you must use the force or alternatively you download all the training material and use Ctrl + f and use key words 😜

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

same with kyocera service manual says things like test this, then that, then change for arguments sake the return roller .go to parts manual search return roller its not there .
    go through the page for the feed area and there it is but its a reversing roller so you order it and if your lucky its the right part

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts C.Vallon's Avatar

lol, sounds like we live, breath and work in a fundamentally wonderful yet deliberately complex field! Well, at least everyday will bring something potentially new to the table, so that should make for some fun stories!

I was worried that I was just not "getting" something that I was expected to already know or understand. That was the most dreadful feeling, reading through all the material, checking manuals, then checking again, even resorting to youtube and google searches to try and figure something out. Sounds like that is the usual norm though, good to know!

I'm sure my trainer is at his wits end at times with all my questions, haha. Better to ask than remain ignorant though.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Ricoh training policy is to use a 2 tier approach on most machines 25 p/min or faster. Tier 1 is online training and is entire book learning/theory. Tier is instructor led training is and is hands on with little or lectures on theory. This is suppose to allow more time for hands on during the instructor led tier.