Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wild Weather.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Wild Weather.

Re: Wild Weather.

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Glad to hear everything is OK. Careful though, having rode out many hurricanes, you have to be aware that the bad weather dislodges many annoying insects that are now very angry. I have been stung many times the day after by yellow jackets. Bet you have a lot of nasty critters down there, and I bet they are pissed.
    You got that one right Fixa,the mozzies will be breeding in all the puddles of stagnant water lying around and they carry a couple of nasty viruses, Dengue fever and Ross River fever. Mrs Lagonda got Ross River fever over 25 years ago and is still suffering from it.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

We're in luck, our suburb was on the short list for electricity repairs.
    We had power restored after four days. Things should settle down to normal from here on.
    There is still a massive clean up to be done. The military have sent working groups in to the area to assit with the clean up.

Really strange weather. Two days before the cyclone started we had a 5.2 earth quake in the country about 300 km south west from here. If you make a line on the map where the earth quake hit, through Rockhampton an out to sea were the cyclone started north east , you will find the path line the cyclone followed as it intensified rapid toward the quake area. The cyclone that hit here was the most rapid forming intensive cyclone on record. No cyclone has ever intensified so quick in such a short amount of time.
    What makes this event even more strange is we generally don't get earth quakes in Australia, especially in this area. We might get small ground subsiding tremors after flood waters dry out but never earth quakes, or any where near a 5.2 magnitude.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 02-23-2015 at 10:09 PM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    You got that one right Fixa,the mozzies will be breeding in all the puddles of stagnant water lying around and they carry a couple of nasty viruses, Dengue fever and Ross River fever. Mrs Lagonda got Ross River fever over 25 years ago and is still suffering from it.
    Re. Ross River virus.
    This story was taken from the local paper.
    An elderly gent who worked alone on a cattle property was struck down with ross river fever. He had cattle in the yards an was unable to feed and water them for days. Still over come by fever exhuastion he forced himself out of bed to feed and water his cattle. While in the round yard one of the cattle crush him against the electric fence, he was unable to move for some minutes, an his body took multiple jolts from the high voltage electric fence.

The following morning he awoke feeling much better. He told an other friend who was suffering from Ross river for months to try the electric fence as a cure. He did an was feeling much better.
    They both told their story to the local media an it was printed in the local paper.

Wild Weather.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    ..........The following morning he awoke feeling much better. He told an other friend who was suffering from Ross river for months to try the electric fence as a cure. He did an was feeling much better. ...........
    I'll suggest to Mrs Lagonda that I can cure all her ills by wiring her up to a charge corona but I don't think she'll be too enthusiastic about it!

I'll suggest to Mrs Lagonda that I can cure all her ills by wiring her up to a charge corona but I don't think she'll be too enthusiastic about it!
    Hahahaha, yeah...
    Wired for sound by Cliff Richards. Wire her up and listen to the screams....

Here's a thought : Put the positive wire on yourself an the negative wire on Mrs Lagonda an let the sparks fly, it could be a whole new love life experience.

No skip that!, I can picture the news headlines now. "Man an wife had a shocking love life..."

Wild Weather.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Hahahaha, yeah...
    Wired for sound by Cliff Richards. Wire her up and listen to the screams....

Here's a thought : Put the positive wire on yourself an the negative wire on Mrs Lagonda an let the sparks fly, it could be a whole new love life experience.

No skip that!, I can picture the news headlines now. "Man an wife had a shocking love life..."

Judging by her usual attitude to my advances she's more likely to have me charged with 'Assault with Battery"

Judging by her usual attitude to my advances she's more likely to have me charged with 'Assault with Battery"
    Understand totally. The court case transcript would probably read "Guilty thereof : charging ass-ault with battery.".......

How do you plead... "one more time with the plaintiff in these handcuffs thanks your honour."

... whipping for the crime should be mandatory ...

Crazy weather. I live in Gladstone, about 1 hour 30 minute drive from Rockhampton, where the Eye passed directly over. We've had regular storms worse than Marcia. It barely touched us compared to Rockhampton/Yeppoon. The closest it got to us was about 60KM west of us.

It's apparently the furthest south a Cat 5 has ever made landfall.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

On the subject of nasty critters, I found this pic titled "This is how Australians prevent their electrical meter from being read"

The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

And speaking of crazy weather, it was 62 on Sunday and today they just canceled work because of snow. There is only about an inch on the ground and it is sleeting now. I know this funny to folks who live up north, but keep in mind our roads rarely get treated and nobody owns snow tires. A large percentage of the people in ditches or accidents have northern plates on their car, because they want to get out and show us Southerners how it's done.

remember, this was my state last year...

And just to show we are consistent, the place this was taken, Raleigh, has so far reported over 1,000 wrecks this morning.
    Last edited by fixthecopier; 02-24-2015 at 02:21 PM.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking