Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wild Weather.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Wild Weather.

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    On the subject of nasty critters, I found this pic titled "This is how Australians prevent their electrical meter from being read"

It would be okay if it worked like that, but Energex would send out an approximation power bill. It wouldn't work out in your favour. The same thing applies if you have a vicious dog on your property, and they can get safe access to the meter.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

And speaking of crazy weather, it was 62 on Sunday and today they just canceled work because of snow. There is only about an inch on the ground and it is sleeting now. I know this funny to folks who live up north, but keep in mind our roads rarely get treated and nobody owns snow tires. A large percentage of the people in ditches or accidents have northern plates on their car, because they want to get out and show us Southerners how it's done.

remember, this was my state last year...

And just to show we are consistent, the place this was taken, Raleigh, has so far reported over 1,000 wrecks this morning.
    It's interesting that all the problems appear to be on the uphill side and none on the down hill side.
    You would believe vehicles on the down hill side wouldn't be able to stop an there would be a similar amount of vehicles in trouble.

You can't control people's ignorance or arrogant attitude to weather and road conidtions. We see the same thing here in Australia with people driving through flood water an low level creek crossings.

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

And speaking of crazy weather, it was 62 on Sunday and today they just canceled work because of snow. There is only about an inch on the ground and it is sleeting now. I know this funny to folks who live up north, but keep in mind our roads rarely get treated and nobody owns snow tires. A large percentage of the people in ditches or accidents have northern plates on their car, because they want to get out and show us Southerners how it's done.

remember, this was my state last year...

And just to show we are consistent, the place this was taken, Raleigh, has so far reported over 1,000 wrecks this morning.
    Crazy thing ain't it? This is what we call milk and bread weather down here in miss'ippi. A snow flake falls and everyone runs to the store to get milk and bread like it's going out of style.

Speaking of crazy weather, coming up on 10 year of Katrina this year. I worry bout the tornados more than the hurricanes. That big one that hit Tuscaloosa few years ago didn't miss us by much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

looks like every body get hit, by amazingly destructive weather.
    the last country to suffer was Zimbabwe,
    a Gale force destroyed them in cricket.

ps. jokes aside
    I am glad to hear that all is OK

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

The thing about snow in the south is that unless the temps stay in deep freeze mode, just being patient will work. with our wild temp swings, and above freezing average temps in winter, the ground rarely freezes. The new fallen stuff will stay on top of grass and such, but by afternoon the ground heat starts coming up through the pavement. An average snowfall the roads will fix themselves by late afternoon. I went out yesterday in a Honda Element and had no issues and didn't see anyone in a ditch. Still lots of dangerous spots, but most people stay home. The 2 or 3 inches will have almost completely disappeared by late afternoon today.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

The thing about snow in the south is that unless the temps stay in deep freeze mode, just being patient will work. with our wild temp swings, and above freezing average temps in winter, the ground rarely freezes. The new fallen stuff will stay on top of grass and such, but by afternoon the ground heat starts coming up through the pavement. An average snowfall the roads will fix themselves by late afternoon. I went out yesterday in a Honda Element and had no issues and didn't see anyone in a ditch. Still lots of dangerous spots, but most people stay home. The 2 or 3 inches will have almost completely disappeared by late afternoon today.
    We got hammered yesterday. It came in later than expected, freezing rain all morning till about 13:00. I left work about 15:30 had to take a detour on the way home cause it looked like some one went in the ditch. Problem I saw was while the main highways were mostly clear, the back roads I had to take were covered. It was also a wet type of snow, I could hear limbs crashing down around through out the evening, so our power went out for half the night. Doesn't look like it will clear out till much later today probably tomorrow, I've still got 4 to 6 inches of slush on my street. So looks like I've got a snow day today.

Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post
    We got hammered yesterday. It came in later than expected, freezing rain all morning till about 13:00. I left work about 15:30 had to take a detour on the way home cause it looked like some one went in the ditch. Problem I saw was while the main highways were mostly clear, the back roads I had to take were covered. It was also a wet type of snow, I could hear limbs crashing down around through out the evening, so our power went out for half the night. Doesn't look like it will clear out till much later today probably tomorrow, I've still got 4 to 6 inches of slush on my street. So looks like I've got a snow day today.
    Bugger..... stay warm...

The missus an I call those cold rainy days "snuggle days" : home in bed with a good movie.