Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Thoughts For Design Engineers

Design engineers should be required to actually work on the machines they design. What looks elegant on paper can be a really pain to fix/maintain/operate.

Ricoh/Savin in particular:
    - please decide on either hex head or "button" head screws throughout the machine. I prefer hex head as a magnetized nutdriver is better for getting a screw into those tight places.
    - Waste toner and web near end messages should not be little hints down in the bottom left of the screen where no one ever sees them. They should pop up in a big red notification on the screen requiring the user to acknowledge the message before they can proceed to copy/scan. That way someone might actually call for service before the machine goes down, and they can't claim to have "not seen" the warnings.
    - please fix the 9040/9240/4002 mag roller coating issue once and for all or discontinue the line. 5 years or better seems like more than enough time.
    - feed rollers in the MP6002 need changing every 40 - 50k if not before, regardless of what the stated yield (1000k - that's got to be a misprint, but even 100k is laughable) is. Anyone come up with an unapproved field remedy for these tires going so slick so fast?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Thoughts For Design Engineers

Along the lines of Ricoh...

How about making more of the SP settings changeable (or at least viewable) via the WIM?

it's a colossal pain when you try to set a machine up (especially with some of the software solutions) remotely, and have to have someone standing in front of the machine either getting into SP modes or User Tools to complete the installation, or un-installation, for that matter.

Hands-on may be just fine in a lab, classroom, or at a very small customer location, but large scale installations suck the big one when it comes to deployment. It's a pain in the @$$ to make the co-ordination sometimes.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

KM needs to bring back load check to run motors, solenoids, etc. And how about a true "universal driver" !!! One driver to control them all....Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

i started out working on Kyocera, then went to Ricoh Direct, now working at dealer that services both....

never understood short life of drums and fusers on Ricoh....never seen a Kyocera 'spill" toner everywhere like a Ricoh.

get rid of the ricoh open-ended toner bottles, seal them off like a kyocera.

dont mind working on a machine, but somethings are preventable

Amen! I don't have the problems anymore since we service Kyocera's

Ricoh & Savin were the worst about leaking toner & developer.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Foremost, if machines never had problems, you would not require a technician.

The technicians of today are becoming obsolete, which is slowly becoming a reality given the dirt cheap disposable MFD's flooding the market. Gov't should look serious at placing heavy recycling/removal tax's on these disposable copiers as many perfectly good machines are just ending up as land fill in the city dump. The disposable MFD is not a very good environmental practice.
    As people know, it's far cheaper to buy a new MFD than to replace the printer ink cartridges. This is exactly how my clients relate to technical service/repairs of these cheap MFD's. They throw away the entire printer instead of buying just the small print cartridge. Lets be realistic,the single print cartrige can be refilled an/or requires less recycling or land fill space than an entire printer. But the cheap MFD trend is happening because the larger MFD's are viewed as being unreliable and require an ongoing service contract to maintain. An as all technicians know all machines must be maintained to get optimum usability out of the machine. This is a fact of reality it'self.

Gov't could adopt the similar recycled bottle approach, whether by you bring your dispoable MFD back to the shop and swap it for a new one for a small fee. Call it "trade-in recycling". Would it discourage the disposable MFD's current sales trend???

I guess it's only a matter of time before we see the disposable ICE or electric car. Goodbye all mechanics.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 02-26-2015 at 09:49 PM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

How about velcro on back covers, instead of screws.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MHeon71 View Post
    How about velcro on back covers, instead of screws.
    Probably, a little too noisy when removing. I remember in the service, they had, what I think, was a "quarter-turn and lock" type fastener. Of course, the military had a big budget, and cost would be prohibitive for OEMs.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Probably, a little too noisy when removing. I remember in the service, they had, what I think, was a "quarter-turn and lock" type fastener. Of course, the military had a big budget, and cost would be prohibitive for OEMs.
    What about push plug dowels? Four or six teardrop shape plugs on each corner of the backcover that pop in an out of a round socket on the frame. Repairs would drive you bongers when they fail or break though.

Bring back the old style Canon NP210, Toshiba BD7800,BD5500,BD4500 ,open up clamshell split frame design. Very easy machines to remove paper jambs and service internally. Mostly modular design plug&play with no extra wiring plugs/looms for the consumable items. Kyocera wiring looms concern me everytime I un-plug a dev or pcu unit.