Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Thoughts For Design Engineers

Re: Thoughts For Design Engineers

Quote Originally Posted by KapeKopyTek View Post
    Design engineers should be required to actually work on the machines they design. What looks elegant on paper can be a really pain to fix/maintain/operate.

Ricoh/Savin in particular:
    - please decide on either hex head or "button" head screws throughout the machine. I prefer hex head as a magnetized nutdriver is better for getting a screw into those tight places.
    Hex head are best on the back cover and the inside where screws can get dropped. Chrome Plated round head or pan head can be used where the customer can see them in normal operation.

- Waste toner and web near end messages should not be little hints down in the bottom left of the screen where no one ever sees them. They should pop up in a big red notification on the screen requiring the user to acknowledge the message before they can proceed to copy/scan. That way someone might actually call for service before the machine goes down, and they can't claim to have "not seen" the warnings.
    Configure email notification and the machine will send a email to up to 4 addresses. Of course you will still get a service call when the web runs off the end with the counter nowhere near the near end count.

- please fix the 9040/9240/4002 mag roller coating issue once and for all or discontinue the line. 5 years or better seems like more than enough time.
    I had to clean one today. The problem actually goes back to a couple of the latter 35/45 models. At one time you could order just the mag roller assembly.

- feed rollers in the MP6002 need changing every 40 - 50k if not before, regardless of what the stated yield (1000k - that's got to be a misprint, but even 100k is laughable) is. Anyone come up with an unapproved field remedy for these tires going so slick so fast?
    I usually get 600K to 800K when used with quality paper. I have never had a set go 1M. The older dark grey/black composition were specified at 300K. Could usually get at least 400K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Along the lines of Ricoh...

How about making more of the SP settings changeable (or at least viewable) via the WIM?

it's a colossal pain when you try to set a machine up (especially with some of the software solutions) remotely, and have to have someone standing in front of the machine either getting into SP modes or User Tools to complete the installation, or un-installation, for that matter.

Hands-on may be just fine in a lab, classroom, or at a very small customer location, but large scale installations suck the big one when it comes to deployment. It's a pain in the @$$ to make the co-ordination sometimes.
    Making it accessible to WIM invites problems. My belief is that when installing something, I like to be at the machine personally.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Bring back the old style Canon NP210, Toshiba BD7800,BD5500,BD4500 ,open up clamshell split frame design. Very easy machines to remove paper jambs and service internally. Mostly modular design plug&play with no extra wiring plugs/looms for the consumable items. Kyocera wiring looms concern me everytime I un-plug a dev or pcu unit.
    i had a ton of those things back in the day.

The NP210 was a dream. The NP300 (same thing, just slightly bigger) was a freakin' nightmare.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    KM needs to bring back load check to run motors, solenoids, etc. And how about a true "universal driver" !!! One driver to control them all....Emujo
    Actually there's a loadcheck on the new e series machines.. It's not as extensive as the older style, like on the production machines, but it works.. You just have to reboot the machine though to get back out of it.

As for universal driver.. Yes, a light weight basic driver. Especially good for the oddball installs or for the idiot IT that tries to load a 250 driver for a C554. I remember when the first uni drivers were released, I thought boy this driver is a POS. I never used it since..

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

The latest technology in cookware is stonedyne hard surface non-stick coating. Why can't all copier and printer hot rollers be coated with a stonedyne hard waring surface with the same or similar properties? There should be no need to repair fuser units for the life of the machine. Normal maintainance on a fuser unit should be very minimal from there on.

At least allow factory service and dealer support access to the hard coating hot rollers to reduce their service contract pricing an remain competitve.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Canon - do something about WTC - $50 for a cheap plastic box? - give me a break! As a result techs are asked to empty them in every service call.
    - in big machines make them accessible to the customer and display a big message with a big sound when they get full.
    for monochrome machines you want techs to use a coil for coronas, really?
    - is it so hard and expensive to send a drum blade rather than just the blade with 10 steps of screwing it?
    Canon engineers, can't you design
    - better toner bottle engagingmechanism
    - relable inner finishers
    - reliable OPC drums?
    what about ADFs that cannot feeed an original and have a nightmare lable claiming the originals that are not supported - basically anything that an office has - a $200 scanner can do all that. How about piut that kind of scanner on the top of the copier instead of the ADF?

Enough about Canon ....

Kyocera
    Why do you bother with color machines? - that is not your thing, stick to what you do best - monochrome machines

Konica
    The worst copier engineers work for Konica. They don't know to design a simple feed unit so the technicians can replace the feed rollers quickly
    The firmware update procedute is a nightmare - different levels, special firmware, horrible instructions.
    - the worst clutches ever
    - confusing (Admin) interface
    How about stop manufacturing monochrome machines and stick to color ones only?

Ricoh engineers - do something else, copiers are not your thing unless you learn how to feed toner in the machine and get rid of the hoses?
    I am not going to print drivers ...

Toshiba - are they still around?

Yes, I would like to have a job as a technician but not such a stressful one because machines have intermittent issues and customers are screaming because they want someone yesterday and parts department is not giving you parts to save money for the company!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    The latest technology in cookware is stonedyne hard surface non-stick coating. Why can't all copier and printer hot rollers be coated with a stonedyne hard waring surface with the same or similar properties? There should be no need to repair fuser units for the life of the machine. Normal maintainance on a fuser unit should be very minimal from there on.

At least allow factory service and dealer support access to the hard coating hot rollers to reduce their service contract pricing an remain competitve.
    Who would pay 3000 for 1000 machine? And what if techs were no longer required?

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Speaking of Ricoh/Savin hot rollers, the rollers were bad enough (prone to scoring from toner buildup on thermistors and stripper fingers), but now we've gone to these fusing sleevs. O.M.G. Lamps were bad on them 50% of the time, right out of the box..... and they NEVER tear from toner buildup in that spring loaded guide plate......nooooooooo.......

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

attention all:design engineers
    please work in the field for a 1-year at least.
    before you think you can design, a techie friendly machine!

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Many years ago we had a hospital with over 150 Konica 1290s. After 3- 4 years of maintaining those I bet one of the guys in the shop I could strip one down to the frame and re build it blindfolded...I did miss a connector, and lost a c clip, but the shop guy was so impressed he bought lunch anyway. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    Many years ago we had a hospital with over 150 Konica 1290s. After 3- 4 years of maintaining those I bet one of the guys in the shop I could strip one down to the frame and re build it blindfolded...I did miss a connector, and lost a c clip, but the shop guy was so impressed he bought lunch anyway. Emujo
    That is impresive! I was able todo Canon BJ30. I stripped few hundred, but that was only a tiny printer!

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE