Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: newbie training advice?

Some really solid advise so far. If I may add a few...

Collect every manual you can get. You may be brand specific now, but you cannot predict who you will work for in the future, or what your dealership will work on.

If you ask 2 techs for advice on a problem, the solution that seems like the most work is usually the correct one.

Make your customer know how concerned you are about their business being affected by the breakdown. They will be more relaxed if they feel you are are their side in this big emergency.

Some customers will bond with you, some will not. Treat the good ones like gold. It is a reflection on you when they call and only want you to show up. Treat the bad ones like gold. It is a reflection on you when they call and ask that you not be sent.

Don't show weakness to the customer. If you are stumped, tell them you need a part, a tool or more research. Never throw your hands up and say "Beats the hell out of me"

When asked if it can be fixed, the correct answer is "Everything can be fixed."

Be a hoarder if you have a place to keep it. Saving those old fusers and feed assemblies will save your ass one day, when you need spare parts to test, or when you break something.

When you are really stumped, make those phone calls in private so the customers doesn't loose faith.

Careful what you say after going behind another tech.

I almost forgot this important one. When you are fighting a problem, you should try to play "stump the tech" when you have to ask someone else, even tec support for help. Your goal should be to hear the other guy respond after you have told him what steps you have taken with..."I don't know what to tell you, it sounds like you have done everything." If that is your goal every time, you will have to make fewer and fewer tech support phone calls.
    Last edited by fixthecopier; 03-08-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

No one can teach patience and persistence a machine can.
    Ask someone to sabotage machines in the workshop for you. I you can figure out what the experienced guys can throw at you your troubleshooting ability would get better soon.

I have a trick i pull on a BH B211 no one could solve yet and its fun watching them try. I had one guy put seethrough number plate glare spray on the platen glass the stuff you use to stop cameras taking pictures of you plates. It would make the copies look out of focus. It took me 3 days to solve by cleaning a clean looking piece of glass out of frustration.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar

I have found that the best tool a tech can have is patience! Sometimes just sitting at the machine making copy after copy for an hour is what it takes to figure out the problem. As an example, we had a machine that the paper would jam in the finisher. By the time we got there, the customer had cleared the jam and the machine ran fine. It took weeks for us to finally see the paper jam. We brought the finisher here and I hooked it up to another machine and kept making copies. Finally I saw a guide not move and found a solenoid failing but I spent at least half an hour making one copy at a time to see it.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

1. Get out in the field...if you don't feel comfortable by yourself, buddy up and go with another, more senior tech!

2. Listen.

3. Ask questions...of your customer AND your more senior tech(s)!--remember, the only stupid question is the one that is not asked!!!

4. Collect as much data as possible!!--diagnostics such as error logs and problematic copies and printouts.

5. Learn and don't be afraid to say, "I don't know!--Let me do some research!" Only after you have collected the data and attempted to assess the situation can you truly say "I don't know!, if you truly DON'T KNOW!!!--Go and talk to a Senior Tech!

6. HAVE FUN!!!

PS--DON'T FORGET THE METER READING SHEET!!!

PPS--Hands on, In the Field is the BEST WAY to LEARN!!!--Gotta get on the bike to learn to ride it!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts C.Vallon's Avatar

Let me take a moment to say thank for to everyone that has taken the time out of their busy lives to address my concerns and offer advice. I must say I wasn't expecting that much attention to this thread! But glad to have it.

Like many of you have mentioned, it is daunting to go out there on your own with only a handful bits of knowledge, wanting nothing more than to fix the unit and complete the job. So far, there has been a total of three calls that I wasn't able to fix on my own, out in the field. Some of these are due to of course, not having the required parts to fix the issue, others I needed to speak with Slim about, to make sure that I was on the right path.
    It seems more times than not that I find my self nervous and "unsure" of my self, I know this is due to the fact that I'm still learning, that the pressure I feel is mostly self inflicted. Walking away from a client site with a unit still down or the problem not corrected as well as it should be, seems to be a growing pet peeve of mine. I'm sure, with enough experience and practice I can turn that into a positive drive, right now it seems I just need to work on building up my own confidence levels.

I have noticed that some clients are better than others. There are a few that I really don't like to visit, yet when I do I still put on my friendly smile, try to converse with them while sorting the root cause of whatever the issue is, what I can't stand though is when a client likes to hover as you work?! That makes me so nervous, even though I know the likelihood of them knowing anything about what I may or may not be doing is low, it's jut one of those 'feelings' when someone is looking over your shoulder, kinda adds a hiccup in my step. Then, there are those clients that are great. I've been luckily enough to deal with both types.

So far the advice offered and given has been sound and rather well received, so again thank you all for that. I still seem to be under the self imposed impression that "I should already know ____", though it appears that is only self imposed.

I will end with this warning though, I've taken the advice "Leave your pride at the door and ask your questions here" to heart. So uh, I may or may not bombard the forums as I become frustrated or confused. ^.^

Have a great Monday!

Stick a picture of a skull and a biohazard sign on one of your aerosol spray cleaners. If the customer hovers around spray some on a cloth and start to cough and shake your head a little. Watch them move along.

Or use your blower brush to make a bit of a toner cloud. The old vacuum noise helps as well.

Don't take this seriously. After knowing the routine i dont mind them watching anymore.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

First let me say sorry asking why people was not posting to this guy question. As it now hit me, not everyone spends time to look at this forum everyday. I guess i saw a bit of time passed and no replies and i was like ---. Anyway as i see there are solid guys out there as to their posts. The young man gave his gratitude.

Just a line or two from me on this as i contemplated on my experience on the field.

1. Always have a pen or maybe two. my boss told me, he declined a guy in an interview the job,becuase he did not have a pen.
    2. car stock. try to organize to know where things are. Its fustrating when you know you have parts and cannot find it.
    3. flashlight. I don't know your vision level, but as of now i can't go to a call without one. It is a must have.
    4. Always remember you are getting paid to do what you do. when you start to complete repair jobs, the beating of the chest will kick in and that good feeling will make your day. Bad or rude customers will always be there, the sooner you learn to ignore and concentrate on closing the call. you can't fight fire with fire.

these are some of my thought for you and those who wanted to ask the same question you did.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    newbie training advice?

Keep your machines clean! Vacuum the machine inside then wipe it down with a damp towel.
    A clean machine is the best troubleshooting tool they don't show you in the book nor teach you in class.

ALWAYS unplug the machine from the wall when you work on it. Some brands will blow a board if you plug in a simple sensor.

Always wear dark or grey/ light blue clothes. White and brown just makes you look dirty after fixing a box right.

If you can't figure it out within 45 minutes call for help, or step outside for a few and come back as if it is a fresh call.

Stay with Copytechnet and research common problems with the machines you work on.

RTFB! Read the F'n book.

I keep all my manuals on a thumb drive. You can't swing a dead cat where the copier is without hitting a computer to pull up the right manual.

Good luck!
    I have been doing office equipment for over 30 years and I don't see retirement as an option, just have to stay with the latest technology. I truly love what I do, no matter what anyone says.

Last but not least, learn to scratch your nose with the back of your wrist, not your fingers.
    Customers will let you walk out of the office without telling you that you have toner on your nose.

Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    newbie training advice?

You're in good hands with slim. Multiply that x 100 and there's the value of the forum.

You may find it hard to believe, but you may relish the time when you are the one that gets the difficult calls, the machines noone has seen before, the 15 year old machines. It sharpens your tools when you have to really think about a problem and rely on hints and intuition.

Do not hesitate to post. We're interested in your successes, and your failures. Do your homework first though. I do expect a prepared tech to read the appropriate sections of the manual.

I'll be looking forward to your posts. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    newbie training advice?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    You're in good hands with slim. Multiply that x 100 and there's the value of the forum.

You may find it hard to believe, but you may relish the time when you are the one that gets the difficult calls, the machines noone has seen before, the 15 year old machines. It sharpens your tools when you have to really think about a problem and rely on hints and intuition.

Do not hesitate to post. We're interested in your successes, and your failures. Do your homework first though. I do expect a prepared tech to read the appropriate sections of the manual.

I'll be looking forward to your posts. =^..^=
    Also, like BC and others, start a searchable data base of problems, and solutions. I wish I had started way back when I first became a tech.
    Of course, who would need fixes for Bus/Tag cables, core memories, vacuum tubes, and the like?
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --