Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts C.Vallon's Avatar

newbie training advice?

Hi guys, so as I've mentioned in my first intro post, I'm new to the career field. I've completed a few of the online courses while waiting for my actual tier 2 instruction. What I am wondering is if there is any other recommended training you'd advise that I can take to help bring me up to speed? Below is a list of the current completed online courses I've done with the Ricoh Learning Institution

Digital Color Basics ( Self Paced )
    Digital Color Technology Equivalency
    Technology Essentials Tier 1 Equivalency
    Technology Essentials Tier 1
    Ricoh Fundamentals of Ricoh Websites Training Module
    Ricoh Fundamentals of the MFP Training Module

Thanks in advance, I'm trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as I can. Like any new career field, it seems a bit daunting at first, though I do relatively enjoy the challenges.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Re: newbie training advice?

Nice, you are one your way and good stuff you have done to get started.
    First, i should say, in this business the learning curve is how much time you are willing to spend in independent learning. What i mean is, tutuors will teach you procedures, but won't babysit as new techs seems to want. you have to be inquisitive about how things work and learn their function. e.g clutch and one-way bearings. You, must also understand basic electricty and how to use a multimeter and soldering station. Those are time you will have to spend independently to acquire the skill set.
    It is very important to observe the precautions that is stated in the manuals, machines and other places.
    There are many others i can mention, like tools ect.

But for me anyway, the answer to your question is, There is no quick way to speed up the learning curve, it comes by experience and going through what every tech with years of elbow and knees wear have done. But to your advantage, the machines today are in my opinion easier to repair hardware wise. Application, networking and integration of apps, the scope of use is becoming wider every day and more intensive.

Also, as one of my co-worker keep telling me, not every chip of the block can make the same whistle, meaning some people grasp things quicker in this field that other do. And last, you have to really like challenges and get your hair pulled sometimes as you can see in this forum and of course like doing this type of work.

I wrote this many lines, because i want to really welcome you this field of work. Most of the techs that i know are over 50 and the young come and go as they find it a daunting task to learn so much.
    Last. ATTITUDE, you are going to deal with the public and many diffrent people. this is my piece, maybe some will disagree, so they must give thier input.

Multibrands Tech 250+ Posts rapidocument's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: newbie training advice?

In my opinion, the first thing to teach a trainee is the following:

• No, it is NOT the Drum
    • No, it is NOT the Board
    • No, there is no magic Reset for it.

That's something I learned from an ex-Xerox Trainer Sr. and it has worked for me hundreds of times, of course, experience will tell you if its the drum at first sight but I recommend not to blame drum/boards as the first thing you think of. Also consider that probably there is no reset for it and this way you can focus on the mechanical/electrical/xerographic logic of the machine and get to the cause most of the time, believe me, you'll be surprised.

"it's the board" or "it needs a factory values reset" is considered in my shop a customer opinion or a technical poor evaluation (without carrying a detailed revision first).

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    newbie training advice?

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Nice, you are one your way and good stuff you have done to get started.
    First, i should say, in this business the learning curve is how much time you are willing to spend in independent learning. What i mean is, tutuors will teach you procedures, but won't babysit as new techs seems to want. you have to be inquisitive about how things work and learn their function. e.g clutch and one-way bearings. You, must also understand basic electricty and how to use a multimeter and soldering station. Those are time you will have to spend independently to acquire the skill set.
    It is very important to observe the precautions that is stated in the manuals, machines and other places.
    There are many others i can mention, like tools ect.

But for me anyway, the answer to your question is, There is no quick way to speed up the learning curve, it comes by experience and going through what every tech with years of elbow and knees wear have done. But to your advantage, the machines today are in my opinion easier to repair hardware wise. Application, networking and integration of apps, the scope of use is becoming wider every day and more intensive.

Also, as one of my co-worker keep telling me, not every chip of the block can make the same whistle, meaning some people grasp things quicker in this field that other do. And last, you have to really like challenges and get your hair pulled sometimes as you can see in this forum and of course like doing this type of work.

I wrote this many lines, because i want to really welcome you this field of work. Most of the techs that i know are over 50 and the young come and go as they find it a daunting task to learn so much.
    Last. ATTITUDE, you are going to deal with the public and many diffrent people. this is my piece, maybe some will disagree, so they must give thier input.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

It all comes down to time under the bus. I think the hardest thing for me to learn was how to let all the personal slights leave me unaffected. Your best customer service tool is the silent smile. No matter how much they yell and scream, bitch and moan, and wave their arms, the enduser will not pull me into their anger fit. Most of the time, they just feel really stupid and childish after they've vented. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    newbie training advice?

1) Get out in the field ASAP and stay out.

2) Nothing sucks more than screwing up in the field. But it sucks because you care and you want to do better.

3) You will never repeat the same mistakes.

3a) 5-10 years of not repeating mistakes makes you a pretty decent tech.

4) 9/10 times the problem is easier than you think. Relax and begin process of elimination.

5) Do whatever your service manager/boss tells you. You're getting paid.

6) Lots of hot office ladies. Look but don't stare.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    newbie training advice?

Quote Originally Posted by C.Vallon View Post
    Hi guys, so as I've mentioned in my first intro post, I'm new to the career field. I've completed a few of the online courses while waiting for my actual tier 2 instruction. What I am wondering is if there is any other recommended training you'd advise that I can take to help bring me up to speed? Below is a list of the current completed online courses I've done with the Ricoh Learning Institution

Digital Color Basics ( Self Paced )
    Digital Color Technology Equivalency
    Technology Essentials Tier 1 Equivalency
    Technology Essentials Tier 1
    Ricoh Fundamentals of Ricoh Websites Training Module
    Ricoh Fundamentals of the MFP Training Module

Thanks in advance, I'm trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as I can. Like any new career field, it seems a bit daunting at first, though I do relatively enjoy the challenges.
    So, are you under the keen eye of "slimslob" ?; if so, you're in good hands!
    Having a positive attitude is a great start.
    If you don't learn something new each day, you will fall behind - quickly!
    And as my signature refers to - pay attention to what you're doing; you'll make fewer mistakes paying attention to details, and the job will become easier.
    And last of all - hang in there, there will be times you'll think you choose the wrong profession.
    But, it is a satisfying profession.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    So, are you under the keen eye of "slimslob" ?; if so, you're in good hands!
    Having a positive attitude is a great start.
    If you don't learn something new each day, you will fall behind - quickly!
    And as my signature refers to - pay attention to what you're doing; you'll make fewer mistakes paying attention to details, and the job will become easier.
    And last of all - hang in there, there will be times you'll think you choose the wrong profession.
    But, it is a satisfying profession.
    Short and to the point. I like those advice above.

I am a bit disappointed by the scant replies to a young man who has asked for some direction into his future world of work and which many here has tons of seniority to peg on a few works. The few who has replied is not withholding their natural fatherly instinct to advise to success.

I remember when i first started in this field, i encountered many who withheld answers to questions i had that could have solved easy service calls. Then i decided to take the bulls by the horn and search far, do my own research, beat the books as they say on my own to find answers. With the advent of the internet, that has made my search so much easier and it is a vital tool for a tech of today.

All this to say. YOU WILL ENCOUNTER OBSTACLES, BE IT HUMAN OR OTHER, BUT THE WILL TO CONQUER MUST BE WITHIN OR your two hands will be in your pocket and dismay will set in.

COME ON GUYS, with all those years behind you, give this young man some encouragement . its not him alone, i am pretty sure their are others listening and watching too, even though it might be repeating what others has said. I think many has gained from this forum, so they can give back a little. But, tell the truth.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    newbie training advice?

COME ON GUYS, with all those years behind you, give this young man some encouragement . its not him alone, i am pretty sure their are others listening and watching too, even though it might be repeating what others has said. I think many has gained from this forum, so they can give back a little. But, tell the truth.
    Oh, the good things?

For me, in this job, it's the satisfaction of solving a puzzle, being a detective. Depending on your employer you may have a greater or lesser degree of freedom on how your time is spent.

Occasionally you'll have an enduser the really appreciates what you do and how you do it. They may even give you an endorsement.

So much of the end results depend on how you handle yourself. If you remain humble and persist at every problem as if it were your own personal problem, you'll do well. If you get too good for the job or your customers ... well they can tell, and won't want your presence. You don't understand this yet, but you will. We all know techs like this.

Very little of my troubleshooting skills have come from any manual or training. It's all come from watching other techs, fortunate accidents, and unfortunate accidents. The manuals are valuable tools, but only tools. You have to know how best to use them. They're not your only tools, and not necessary the best source for every situation.

I've done many different kinds of work over the years and this is the most challenging, and rewarding, and frustrating, all at once. I always seem to come back to it. This is surprisingly hard to talk about, considering that I rant on about most everything else. Does this make any sense to you? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

having a good and positive attitude is huge. the customer is more understanding when you have problems fixing one, or its taking longer than it should. and talk with the customer. we have techs that customers don't really care for or they don't want them back because they just go in and fix it or incomplete it and will not say much and leave, customers hate this. another thing take your time. you get in a rush and your going to cost youself time and money. read forums and go with one of your senior techs at times you will definitely pick up things. for the most part its a easy job minus a few rough customers (copiers), all you do is drive around and fix copiers and you not stuck behind a desk 8 hours a day. good luck to ya...

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

haha... yeah... To err on the side of caution.
    I feel we should be inviting him into his new caree path; not scare the crap out of him first up...

I believe he is in safe company on this forum. With the world wide technicians we have here and some media news-bots watching his every move <add shaking in boots> he should be starting to get the idea if he hasn't already. Read the forums and search first if you wish to know more then ask.

Welcome to your new career path. Feel free to ask any questions, if some one doesn't know the answer there is usually someone who does. Never never be afraid to ask a question no matter how trival it seems.
    As one of my university lecturers once said : Leave your pride at the door on entry, it's better to ask a question and look foolish than to remain fool the rest of your life.
    Be prepare to learn anew machine every 3 months as they're released. The learning you must master very quickly. You need to learn the artform of "how to learn".
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 03-08-2015 at 03:54 AM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••