Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: toolbags

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    toolbags

Re: toolbags

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Here's the thing. When this thread first came up, I thought, "I'm carrying too much. I should lighten my load. I don't need half this sh$t. Like these snap ring pliers. When's the last time I used these? I could leave these home."

Then, yesterday, guess what I needed. They're staying in the kit.
    That's the thing: What's the point of having a tool if it's not available when you need it? For those once-in-a great-while tools it's worth the extra trip to the car. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

My daily trip use to be like 600 Km or 370 Miles, your kit exists out of

1) Tool bag
    2) Toolbox (for your car)
    3) Vacuum cleaner
    4) Electric blower
    5) Extension cord (blow out machines outside)
    6) Spare cables (fax/LAN/power)
    7) PM kits for 4 models of machines.
    8) 4 to 20 boxes of toner.

Then u need to average 5 calls a day with the max distance 900 Km or 560 Miles this a stop over at a guest house.
    Not being ready is not an option.

Multibrands Tech 250+ Posts rapidocument's Avatar

PLATT is/will be always my choice,

I've used this one for almost everyday, 10 years so far. I have had to change it's zipper a couple of times but it has been my fault (overloading the case with bulky stuff), maybe from the outside looks like a homeless property but is the gear that brings bread to my home, (in the pic doesn't appear the 3m vacumm and the powerdriver also indispensable).

toolsd.jpg

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    toolbags

I'm too lazy to walk out to my car and take a pic of my box. Here is a generic pic of my box from Stanley Supply Services....aka Jensen Tools. The bottom half of my kit is loaded down with all kinds of tools. I work on a wide myriad of equipment.......both metric and SAE and everything in between. It weighs a ton, but I have a heavy duty fold up cart that can deal with the weight. I do have a few other tool boxes out in the car for the tools I may only need a few a few times a year. I'm a road warrior, covering 5 states. I see more hotel rooms, than my own home.

I also don't like making 5 trips out to the car to get tools. Nothing I hate more than having to park out in the back 40 acres of parking lot somewhere, and it's raining. lol.

Maybe tomorrow I'll snap some pics of my set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rapidocument View Post
    PLATT is/will be always my choice,

I've used this one for almost everyday, 10 years so far. I have had to change it's zipper a couple of times but it has been my fault (overloading the case with bulky stuff), maybe from the outside looks like a homeless property but is the gear that brings bread to my home, (in the pic doesn't appear the 3m vacumm and the powerdriver also indispensable).

toolsd.jpg
    I use Platt as well, but I have the hard plastic case. I've only replaced the handle twice.. In fact we have two of those soft bags(one with a shoulder strap) sitting here in the shop collecting dust. After carrying around the plastic case for years I've been tempted to covert over to the soft one and carry less stuff. I could keep stuff I don't use much in the car. I do have a folding cart for when I have to go a long ways or carry more in.

Quote Originally Posted by atwageman View Post
    I'm too lazy to walk out to my car and take a pic of my box. Here is a generic pic of my box from Stanley Supply Services....aka Jensen Tools. The bottom half of my kit is loaded down with all kinds of tools. I work on a wide myriad of equipment.......both metric and SAE and everything in between. It weighs a ton, but I have a heavy duty fold up cart that can deal with the weight. I do have a few other tool boxes out in the car for the tools I may only need a few a few times a year. I'm a road warrior, covering 5 states. I see more hotel rooms, than my own home.

I also don't like making 5 trips out to the car to get tools. Nothing I hate more than having to park out in the back 40 acres of parking lot somewhere, and it's raining. lol.

That case looks like a monster compared to what I'm used to seeing.. Lol! At least you can carry everything in and on a cart.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    toolbags

Quote Originally Posted by atwageman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post
    That case looks like a monster compared to what I'm used to seeing.. Lol! At least you can carry everything in and on a cart.
    That case is a little smaller than the Platt case that I use. Mine has wheels and a pull up handle. I have had to replace the wheels once already and current have a second new set of wheels that I haven't had time to put on. It holds a lot and with the handle up I can tie vacuum and parts boxes on top.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Finally got my new toolpack:

Backpack Tool Case - Tecra Tools

I'm loving it. Wish I'd gone to a backpack a long time ago. Except for paperwork. I really like to have an outside pocket for paperwork. I want to be able to pack up everything, then go talk to the customer and get a signature. I put my WO in the bag as I'm leaving. But this bag doesn't have a way to easily do that. I'll figure out a way though.

I'll report back in 2 years as to the durability. I feel like if one of these straps breaks within 2 years, then forget it. My last soft case lasted 7 years before the zipper broke.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I went ahead and took the plunge. I'm switching to a backpack. I ordered one from tecra today. I will post back if I can fit my tools and​ a laptop... and paperwork folder. And my rags and bottles. And all that good stuff.
    I carried a backpack type for tool bag for a couple of years, had to switch because customers thought I didn't bring any tools in with me to work on the machine and complained.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Glorified Parts Swapper 100+ Posts ptrflrs's Avatar

i had been wanting to try the backpack toolkit. don't need my laptop since i'm not doing network calls that much anymore. nice to have your hands free for all the parts i have to carry in especially in the rain like today but ever since i started loading pdf manuals on an sd card and looking up parts on my phone i have been keeping it very light with my clipboard toolkit. i'm probably gonna get sh!t from some techs here but i rarely need anything else than these small tools although i did leave my thumbdrive stuck on the side of a konica this week and my 6 inch steel ruler somewhere a few months ago. got some good expensive barrierta ricoh grease in the small tube, gel and thin super glue, fuser oil, my special windex/alcohol mix in the spray bottle, snap ring pliers for the ricoh fusers, cutters, flashlight, spring hook, tweaker, small and #2 phillips, door cheat master key, swiss army with small scissors for trimming those damned mylars, screws, mylars, etc... so let me have it
    20150417_193017_resized.jpg 20150417_193219_resized.jpg
    jesus loves you! (everyone else thinks you're an assh*le)
    street cred: CompTIA A+ & Network+ Certified; Konica Minolta Gold Seal x2,
    Konica Minolta Outward ASSociate, Ricoh, Sharp, Lexmark trained

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    toolbags

More power to ya! =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=