Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    No parking no service, Seattle

Seattle is in the midst of eliminating parking in the downtown core. The city has eliminated parking for bike lanes, bus lanes, and parklets (putting mini parks in parking places). It is for our own good because cars are bad. The problem is there is no ware to put a service van. New buildings have no parking requirements. Is there any other city expanding like Seattle that has made some workable allowance for service trucks nd us guys/ gals that fix things? Parking tickets are a major revenue source in Seattle.

copierdoctor@aol.com

Re: No parking no service, Seattle

Wow, sorry about that. I thought downtown memphis was bad. If your not used to the flow of traffic it seem to be an endless maze of one way streets and alleys. Haven't had the luxury of going down in the work van. It's a real nightmare in a 28 foot truck though.

I envy people that got to experience the music scene in Seattle. I always planned on visiting tooth and nail records in Seattle, never got the chance.…

Sorry for getting off subject. Do you work for a company or own one? Can you get your parking validated some way to ease the burden of all those tickets? Work trucks always seem to be a magnet for parking tickets.

Part of the service agreement should be that the customer provides parking for the service tech. Of course, nobody cares about the service tech and it's his responsibility if his car gets towed .... In downtown Vancouver i used to pay about $800/month for parking but that was over 7 years ago, now it's probably more expensive for the techs that are in that territory.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar

Every time I hear something like this it makes me even happier that I live out here in the civilized world. There isn't enough money to get me to move back to a city.
    I know I should be ashamed of myself. Strangely though, I am not.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MFPTech View Post
    In downtown Vancouver i used to pay about $800/month for parking
    Damn, that's a travesty. BTW, I've went to Vancouver in 1985 or so. It is a beautiful city, and people love to party there. I had a great time, probably because I didn't have to pay for parking
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwaddle View Post
    Every time I hear something like this it makes me even happier that I live out here in the civilized world. There isn't enough money to get me to move back to a city.
    Big city people problems.. They make a lot of money gouging people with "technicalities" to write out a tickets to make "revenue". Not the cops fault they're doing their job. Politicians pass theses rules like "Segway parking only" wtf. and "Let's build a special lane just for electric vehicles!" Yet cities can't keep up with infrastructure despite all the taxes, tolls and fees etc.. I remember driving to Chicago a couple years ago, I never seen so many toll roads in my life, and If you don't have exact change just to exit after you've already paid to get on the road... There's a fine for that!

Nope, don't have to worry about any of that out in the contray.

JHB city in ZA. I sometimes do driveby drops for toners, i get the customer to come down to the street and just hand them the stuff thru the car window. Getting parking involves parkades that is sometimes a couple of block away from your destination. Or you can get a dodgy parking on the outskirts but that almost guarantees your car being broken into or you getting mugged or hijacked.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Glad I don't service a big city. On the base I work on, parking can be a bitch. Having a service vehicle helps me get away with a lot. I can park on sidewalks, on top of bushes ect. One time I was at base headquarters and there was no parking except for the ones marked "General Parking", for the Generals in the building.. I parked there. When I came out, there was an MP at my truck. He ask me why I parked there. I told him I thought general parking means that anyone could park there. He just rolled his eyes and walked off. knowing that I knew better.

One time I parked in a First Sergents space. As I came out of the building, he was pulling up behind me to block me in and go to a meeting to teach me a leson. I told him I was the guy on base for his copiers and if he didn't want me losing his tickets for the next 4 years he had better move. He moved.

Another time I pulled into the only open space in a lot. As soon as I got out a sergent came running out to tell me that was the company commanders spot. I looked at it and told him I didn't see any name on it, and I was just going to make a delivery. About a week later, when most of the soldiers were off, I had to go back to the same lot. It was empty, the space makings barely visible, except for that one space, that had been freshly marked with paint, and had "Company Commander" painted on it. I laughed so hard.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Detroit parking is $10 to $20 for a day's parking, and that would be OK if you could stay in one spot all day. On an average day though I've got to move at least 3 times = $60

You can try to park on the street ... if you don't care if your car will still be there when you get back. Or if you don't care if your car was broken into or wrecked.

Like some others most of my territory parking is not really a problem. I only see Detroit proper a couple days a month.

How big is this Seattle downtown area? Is it walkable with some kind of a pushcart or golf cart? Maybe a scooter or bicycle? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Cars are evil, 15 dollar minimum wage...oh Seattle. Good luck up there!