Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: I feel so cheap and used

Quote Originally Posted by DallasTech View Post
    $50 for making a trip out there barely pays for your labor, travel expenses, and the admin work that goes into creating the call, invoicing the ticket and collecting the money. Your company is probably breaking even on a simple fix like the Xerox, but if you spend more than 30 minutes on a call, your company would have to be losing money. I'm kinda shocked they would take service at that rate.

Problem is that times are slow, calls are light, and every dollar counts.$50 is more than we make if I am sitting at the shop. besides, I am not paid that much.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    I feel so cheap and used

Quote Originally Posted by DallasTech View Post
    $50 for making a trip out there barely pays for your labor, travel expenses, and the admin work that goes into creating the call, invoicing the ticket and collecting the money. Your company is probably breaking even on a simple fix like the Xerox, but if you spend more than 30 minutes on a call, your company would have to be losing money. I'm kinda shocked they would take service at that rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Yep, 50 per trip. If I go and check the machine and they have to send parts, that's 2 trips. So they try to figure out over the phone what is wrong and send the parts to avoid the second trip. The ones I have done have been only a few miles from base. ...
    That's a good point about the administration aspect. Back when I was a one man operation we did Samsung warranty service. Anyone who does Samsung warranty work will appreciate this. Samsung's website is much better than it used to be. I used to count on at least 1 hour of website time to get my reimbursement, and often two or three followups to explain my actions. Additionally, the walk-in's frequently lied about whether their machine was under warranty, or if it was out of warranty, someone at the hotline would say: "... oh, we'll still cover it ... " until I actually did the work, that is. Then it was no longer be under warranty. I had quite a collection of abandoned printers there for a while, until I made a policy to collect a $75 returnable deposit on all calls. The untruthful people tended to just walk away. Roll in another 20 minutes to call and confirm warranty coverage, and if somebody promised coverage after the warranty period, get it in writing that your work is covered (or you're working for free). =^..^=

It was a break even proposition at best. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    I feel so cheap and used

Send them my way!
    $50.00 is better than nothing when you could use the money.
    I can knock out 10 easy calls a day if I plan my route.
    All I need are simple tools and the manual on a thumb drive.

Do I sound too desperate?
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

I feel so cheap and used

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    Send them my way!

10 calls? With my luck 8 of those 10 would be "your tech was just here working on the printer and now our doorbell isn't working" or "your tech cleaned our printer last week now I hear a little squeek every hour or so"

The cheaper the customer the more expectations.

Better leave this crap alone.

Stick with real machines, real contracts, real inventory and real tech support.

I feel so cheap and used

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    10 calls? With my luck 8 of those 10 would be "your tech was just here working on the printer and now our doorbell isn't working" or "your tech cleaned our printer last week now I hear a little squeek every hour or so"

The cheaper the customer the more expectations.

Better leave this crap alone.

Stick with real machines, real contracts, real inventory and real tech support.
    Again, $50.00 a call is better than nothing when you are out of work and no money.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

I feel so cheap and used

Granted.

Not so much bottom feeder just cheap. If they could afford to send out 4 guys for the same problem and add incorrect parts it amounts to say $300 for that fix. So its seems that they don't under stand the difference between skilled and unskilled labor. Or really don't think much of us techs.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    Send them my way!

Since I am pretty sure they just call around what ever city they have a call i , looking for cheap labor, you may have a shot. Check with your local Staples, that's who my calls are coming from. For some reason I can't remember the contractors name for service. Must be a mental block. I just called them yesterday. When I started working on shredders I called all the manufactures and ask for work. It got me on the list for a couple of them.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I love walking into those calls where they have horror stories about warranty service. My advice, always, is :

"Next time, don't buy it from staples."

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Ever go to one of those big chain office supply stores, look at the printers and notice how cheap the extended warranty is? We can't compete with that. How can they offer on site service, the next day for those prices? Well I found out. They are sending me. It seems those extended warranties are all owned by a third party who farms them out to local companies as calls come in. Of course they shop around for anyone to take their chump change payments. Who would work that cheap? Apparently I will. I guess after not having a lot of success farming these calls out to low bidders, this service provider worked out a deal with my boss. $50 for each visit, per machine, no matter what the amount of time.

I found this out as I was being handed the first 2 tickets. They were at a large nation wide used car dealer. I was walking in blind. Had no idea someone else had been there before. They had checked out the machine, and the parts I needed had been sent to fix the machine.

The machine was an HP m601 and the ticket said that the tray 2 and tray 3 were not lifting. The previous tech, with the aid of tech support, had a fuser maintenance kit, two tray lift motors and a new paper tray sent. I went in. opened both trays, heard them both drop, closed them and printed a config sheet. I then ask the customer to demo the issue. They went to print the form, click print, and the printer starts flashing. I look at the message. It wants legal paper put in tray 2. I don't know why, as it is in tray 3 and the machine is properly configured. I open tray 2 and 3 and swap the paper around, it takes off and prints. Some where on the IT side, which is completely locked out, they are set up to print that form from that tray. Problem solved. They said I was the third guy to show up for that issue.

Now to the office next door. Hp 475mfp. Jam issue. I test. It jams. Part has been sent. Tray two feed assembly. Seems logical. I don't have the manual, but how hard can this be? Well apparently hp never intended for this to be changed, that is why there is not a section in the manual to tell you how to take it out. I discovered this after half way gutting the machine, thinking there must be an easier way, going to the shop and downloading the manual and looking 3 times for the instructions. Turns out you just need to start at the beginning of the manual and start taking shit off til you have it gutted. Seems the designer snaked the wires from it through the entire machine to plug into a board under the scanner. Anyway, got the assembly in, tested machine, seems to work fine.

The next week when the boss come sback, I have another call, same jam issue , same machine. I start from scratch. Keeps saying out put bin jam. That would seem like a stuck actuator. I cant find issue with the one on the output bin, but while playing with the fuser actuator, I finally got it to stick. I am on the phone with the contractor, report what I see, and tell him I will remove the fuser and see if I can fix it. He says not to bother, they will send another fuser.
    Go back next day, they sent wrong fuser, I fixed the one in the machine.

I think I am worth more than $50 a visit. I feel so cheap and used.
    your boss is cheap, not you