Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: what's in the tech bag

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Craftsman used to be my tool of choice. They have a REAL lifetime warranty. If you take your screwdriver and use it as a punch and it doesn't work on screws anymore, they will replace it. However I have noticed the tips are not cut sharp enough anymore.
    Craftsman used to be made in America. They're not anymore. Home Depot approached the Craftsman factories (the ones that were put out of work because Sears decided to outsource) and asked if they could make thier Husky brand. Home Deopot saved a lot of jobs by doing this.

Then, of course, they started having the Husky brand made outside the US as well.

I use Dewalt #2 screw tips. You can buy a box of them and replace them every few months.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Even with a power tool its going to be close. [allan ]

You are kidding right. not a chance.
    Specs:

• Voltage: 12V
    • Battery type: Lithium
    • Battery amp hours: 1.3
    • Torque (drill): 220 in-lbs
    • RPM Speed applications (Drill): 315 RPM
    • RPM in High torque applications (Drill): 1,200 RPM
    • Torque (impact): 950 in/lbs
    • RPM (impact): 2,400 RPM
    • Blows/Min (impact): 2,500 BPM

I use this every day for normal repairs and for teardown and rebuilds. I use mainly the driver and not the drill as for speed and the bit not coming loose. The chuck in these tools are amazingly straight with no wobbles. If you drop it with the bit then your bit will bend and develop wobble.
    Before this our shop used dewalt 7.2v cordless which is almost indestructable. The battery went and saw this combo for $99 and bought it. using it since dec 2012 and just like it a lot. When i attempt to use my snap on 10in #2 , i soon have to pick up this driver. battery last about three week before recharge. recharge is 20-30 min and so far the battery is still solid.
    PLUS you save on your arm tiredness. I use these to install anything. However when installing parts like fuser, i double check tightness with my 10" #2.
    Big plus, has led light, so you can see where you are putting your tooool tip.
    this driver ---- hand tool night vs day. I too like the feel of my 10", but as the saying goes, work smarter not harder.

I know a lot of folk are weary of power tools, but if you learn to use them correctly, they are real time and energy savers in my opinion.
    PLUS if these drivers were the cause of problems, i would definitely get the feedback from the field supervisors and outside techs, as parts will fall off or they cannot remove screws ect. none so far.

THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    I bought a Dewalt screwdriver and drill to make my job eaiser. they are rock solid, I can drive screws through bamboo wood all day long, but went back to old school screwdriver after about two weeks. Those power drivers are great until you strip a head with one.

I know i have used a makita impact driver before hanging blinds for a bit they work just awesome. Those lithium ion batteries are the best. Driving thru a 55mm wood screw thru 100mm of good pine. those are impressive.

Multibrands Tech 250+ Posts rapidocument's Avatar

Black+Decker 350RPM with drill+scrwdriver bits and choice of hi/lo speed.
    full charge in 2 1/2 hrs.
    I've had 2 of these so far, lifespan is about 2 years of daily abuse.
    Only thing I dont like is the LED bulb is way too dim or worse sometimes comes in an orange hue.

(pic)
    e78.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rapidocument View Post
    Black+Decker 350RPM with drill+scrwdriver bits and choice of hi/lo speed.
    full charge in 2 1/2 hrs.
    I've had 2 of these so far, lifespan is about 2 years of daily abuse.
    Only thing I dont like is the LED bulb is way too dim or worse sometimes comes in an orange hue.

(pic)
    e78.jpg
    Yeh, i have that exact model i bought for on the road work. I don't like the charge time and the run time. It's ok for the price, i paid 45 dollars on sale at home depot about 5 yrs ago. I have not use it in a long time. May just have to donate so someone can make use of it. You have to charge those every night for use next day.
    Today's cordless are quite good on battery charge and run time. I see some of road techs have makita, and they are very light and powerfull, but i can't find them on sale.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

have noticed the tips are not cut sharp enough anymore on some and looks like the best needle nose pliers cost about $50 or more to get ones that are precision enough to tightly grip tiny springs and wires, so I have a bag full of surgical hemostats I use for that.
    FROM fixthecopier

Yeh, i agree tools today are not made like years gone by. So i buy cheap ones and modify them to do the function that i want. Here is a 2 dollar plier i bought and modified or re-engineered to suite my needs. the spring will never slip from the tip as i have modify the tip [not seen in the pic ] Most pliers even the best seem to slip when pulling on the spring to attach or you yourself tend to let go of the grip and there goes the spring. With this one that won't happen.
    Attached Files Attached Files

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Craftsman used to be made in America. They're not anymore. Home Depot approached the Craftsman factories (the ones that were put out of work because Sears decided to outsource) and asked if they could make thier Husky brand. Home Deopot saved a lot of jobs by doing this.

Then, of course, they started having the Husky brand made outside the US as well.

I use Dewalt #2 screw tips. You can buy a box of them and replace them every few months.

I had noticed a difference in quality. I still buy their screwdrivers because Sears is 3 miles from shop and they are easy to return. Klein Tools were always awesome when I was doing electrical. I have a 30 year old pair of lineman's dykes that you use as a hammer to build a house and not effect their ability to work. We referred to them as an electricians hammer.

In the now ravaged factory town I used to work in, there was a New Briton tool company factory. I turned down a job there but had lots of friends that worked there. Same factory made over a dozen different brands of tools. Everything from Craftsman to the cheap junk. I remember being told that the socket press could knock out 10,000 an hour. Difference in quality depended on type of metal and heat treat process.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    what's in the tech bag

This is the difference between the standard spring hook and my spring hook.

Spring Hook.JPG

My spring hook is made from a 14" length of 1/2" threaded rod, and case hardened. I made it for fixing unit springs, but it works nicely for other purposes. The threaded rod never slips out of your grip. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 04-27-2015 at 02:07 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    This is the difference between the standard spring hook and my spring hook.

Spring Hook.JPG

My spring hook is made from a 14" length of 1/2" threaded rod, and case hardened. I made if for fixing unit springs, but it works nicely for other purposes. The threaded rod never slips out of your grip. =^..^=
    That spring hook you made is cool. what i like about it too is the the grip you will get from the threads when pulling.. good stuff.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    what's in the tech bag

Since it's threaded you can thread on a handle of whatever type you like, or extend the length. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=