Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Cool Re: what's in the tech bag

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Why would I want that? It's good luck to bleed on the machine. It pleases the copier gods to accept the blood sacrifice. Every machine works better once you've bled on it. =^..^=
    Bleeding is one of my fail safe methods of repair.

They are, in order,

1. Remove all the packing. (Including that film over the screen).

2. Remove all the covers.

3. Bleed.

I have never come across a sticky problem that was not solved by one of the methods above.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: what's in the tech bag

Quote Originally Posted by jimmcgee View Post
    I had my bag stolen from the van about 10 years ago. I still haven't gotten back to where I was then. 20 years of collecting including a beautiful set of german spring hook and a Fluke 77 multi. All down the drain, and probably for the price of a hit. Crescent make good drivers. I try to replace them regularly as they all get blunt fairly quickly.
    I had my tools stolen TWICE. The same group of teenagers, and it was the same cop who tracked them down, got them back, arrested and convicted the kids. Some day, I'm gonna start locking my doors... as soon as that cop retires.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I had my tools stolen TWICE. The same group of teenagers, and it was the same cop who tracked them down, got them back, arrested and convicted the kids. Some day, I'm gonna start locking my doors... as soon as that cop retires.

Another solution to that problem is to get a fake tool bag, put in dye pack like banks use, leave car unlocked. Can't get a dye pack? A bag with a couple of snakes works just as well.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I had a buddy who put a sewer rat in a purse and sat it out at a bus stop. A car full of punks pulled up and grabbed it and drove off. A half a block later, the whole car strated shaking back and forth.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmcgee View Post
    I had my bag stolen from the van about 10 years ago. I still haven't gotten back to where I was then. 20 years of collecting including a beautiful set of german spring hook and a Fluke 77 multi. All down the drain, and probably for the price of a hit. Crescent make good drivers. I try to replace them regularly as they all get blunt fairly quickly.
    So does it pay to take your treasured tools you like to use or use the cheaper or lesser quality ones to do the job ?. When you loose your favorite tools or it is stolen, it takes a while to get over that unless you replace it with an exact one. I use some cheapies that gets the job done and just have to replace more often. Actually i have some that takes a beating and holds up pretty good. A good flat head and 10 " #2 should not be compromise as they probably get used the most. Don't need a whole lot of tools to be carrying around in the bag, but the ones that you don't use often should be in the car as you never know.
    I see some guy slug really heavy bags around and that is taxing on the arms and shoulders. It's just not tools, but the alcohol, tape, meter, hand set ect.
    I have good tools that will never see the shop or onsite work, but my home and hobby projects where i know its safe.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    what's in the tech bag

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Why would I want that? It's good luck to bleed on the machine. It pleases the copier gods to accept the blood sacrifice. Every machine works better once you've bled on it. =^..^=
    good luck? sacrificial blood? blackcat? i see a pattern
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    what's in the tech bag

Quote Originally Posted by jmaister View Post
    good luck? sacrificial blood? blackcat? i see a pattern
    Who isn't a pagan at heart? It's the feline bloodline. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    So does it pay to take your treasured tools you like to use or use the cheaper or lesser quality ones to do the job ?. When you loose your favorite tools or it is stolen, it takes a while to get over that unless you replace it with an exact one. I use some cheapies that gets the job done and just have to replace more often. Actually i have some that takes a beating and holds up pretty good. A good flat head and 10 " #2 should not be compromise as they probably get used the most. Don't need a whole lot of tools to be carrying around in the bag, but the ones that you don't use often should be in the car as you never know.
    I see some guy slug really heavy bags around and that is taxing on the arms and shoulders. It's just not tools, but the alcohol, tape, meter, hand set ect.
    I have good tools that will never see the shop or onsite work, but my home and hobby projects where i know its safe.

Never had my tool bag stolen. Now I have lost a bags worth of stuff. I will always have my best tools with me because this is my profession and using these tools is a big part of my life. I use the good ones on the job because it makes my job easier. Loosing them is a risk I take.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    what's in the tech bag

I'll probably jinx myself by saying so, but I have never lost tools. Two of my co-workers have though.

The first one had his car broken into, and the entire contents of the car emptied out into the yard. The theives were not very sophisticated in the ways of office equipment, and other than damaging most of the drums, left the parts scattered around the yard. They took his toolbag instead.

The second left his toolbag on the tailgate of his S10 pickup, and it sat there for nearly a mile, before he made a left turn. The case burst open in one of the busiest intersections in Flint. By the time he got back to it, the contents had been ground into the pavement by numerous vehicles. He was heartbroken. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Here is a three dollar plier i bought. i did a bit of modification to make things simpler. What it is used for ?, it's patent secret or maybe someone can figure it out.
    Anyway if i am on the road this will not be in my bag, but in the shop yes. The cost is cheap for this tool and it functions well. I have been using it for four years or so and not a problem. I know some techs who have drive back a hundred km because he left his nice driver or something that he really liked and only to be told it is not there.
    I am sharing. think there is a lot of shy guys out there. show you tools men and women. don't be bashfull. someone showed a millwakee tool bag that a woman tech bought and i liked that set. Gota have some fun in forum also.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke