Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Respect

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts C.Vallon's Avatar

Respect

This is just a vent, a rant or rave. Needed to get it off my chest.

Respect is a two way street, it cannot be expected or demanded if it is not shown or given in return. It is unrealistic to assume otherwise.

I bring this up as lately, I feel I have done nothing but show respect toward others and in the end, tend to be treated poorly, given an attitude or just down trodded. I've bitten my tongue for the most part, but it does get annoying and leaving me feeling rather poor.

Its just a vent, a rant. But I needed to put it out there. As I mentioned, respect is a two way street. I can only give so much before I run to the end of my own road...

Smile Re: Respect

Are you referring to peers at work?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Respect

Re: Respect

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Are you referring to peers at work?
    I think he means us, allan.

Service techs as a group do tend to be smart-asses, myself included. I really have only two things to offer you:
    1) Kill them with kindness. As satisfying as it might be to get angry and wave your arms, it doesn't help. Smile ... and move on.
    2) As a group technicians are exposed to quite a lot of negative feelings from our customers. As a result we must learn to let it slide off. At one of the locations I worked, we had a Xerox console copier behind the building. When I'd had a bad day I would grab the 5# sledge hammer and beat on the Xerox for 20 or 30 minutes. It's excellent therapy after fixing stuff all day.

Smile. Be happy. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

One day, you may become the top dog and have others under your wings. You will look back and know the feelings or resentment the ones you are guiding along and see you been there too. It's all part of the learning curve and you have to have your wits about you and determination to succeed.
    You know, some of the ones that does not want to move on will try to discourage you for you to join them in becoming lethargic. The sooner you see through that and shrug it off, you will have more time to focus on other things.
    You are a rookie so to speak right now, that will not always be. Look back at the newbie thread and ponder a bit there.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Ok yea then i'm guilty as well. I guess a I'm getting older and the new guys younger, not everybody has got the same approach to things and i really like my way because it tends to work.

It must admit i don't loose it so easily these days, just shake my head and move on.
    Never tried a sledgy before, i would love to beat the @#$& out of a BH36.

If you are younger and sharper than older the guys, you are going to get a bit of it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Respect

Sorry to say, but respect is earned, not gained.
    Treat everyone as you would like to be treated.
    If they DIS you, they have no respect for themselves.

Take everything with a grain of salt.
    Some people are not worth your time.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    Respect

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    1) Kill them with kindness. As satisfying as it might be to get angry and wave your arms, it doesn't help. Smile ... and move on.
    Smile. Be happy. =^..^=
    This is so true.

I started new 5 years ago, and this is exactly how i felt. Now, I'm yielding alot more because i was kinda taught(situationally cornered, and i know my place now) to think about the big picture. Bottom line is, everyone has to put in the time to earn that respect as mentioned.

tough, but you be a better person after, if you choose to.
    Last edited by jmaister; 04-28-2015 at 07:45 AM.
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

After reading this post its BS about earning respect. I've been in this field since 1986, from working for someone to owning my own business. Its not earning respect its what have you done fore me lately, from employers to customer. Customer are the true boss. I have to agree with blackcat most good techs are smart ass that just the personality type to walk in a customer office and deal with upset customers. I feel like Rodney Dangerfield some days "I don't get no respect!" but thats part of live. Mongo

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

I think the way he worded his post is very unclear about what he is saying really. Without actually describing the situations it's like playing both side of the fence.
    Or maybe he just need some attention. I replied earlier on this thread really to encourage him to focus on becoming a sound tech. Abuse is diffrent from respect as respect can vary widely as to whom is doing the interpretation.
    Example. in construction sites, swearing is quite normal with most of he guys there, and people who don't like it has the choice either to ignore or leave. Can you really change those guys to stop swearing. i don't think so. so this respect thing can be misconstrued without proper detailed description.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke