Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    caini12345

Re: Senior Technician or Technocian?

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Good point BC. A senior tech knows how copiers are supposed to work. He or she can troubleshoot equipment that they have never seen before. They go to the manual first, the internet next and when they run out of ideas, they ask for help. You know you are doing everything right when you call factory tech support and after you tell them everything you have done to resolve the issue, they are stumped and don't know what to tell you.
    I agree you more than the idea determining by the years of experience.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caini12345 View Post
    I agree you more than the idea determining by the years of experience.

Yep, years in the biz and ownership of a screwdriver does not make you a great tech.

My shop hired a guy one time that had supposedly had been doing this for 12 years. At the time, he had a few several years ahead of me. He was working on an HP LJ4. Had a big black streak going down the middle of the page. He ask me what I thought was causing it.

Are you kidding me?? It can only come from 2 places, cartridge or fuser. Well it was the fuser. I solved that big mystery by opening the rear door and looking at the fuser. Senior tech my ass.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Do you spend the greater time answering questions from other techs, or the greater time calling for help from other techs? =^..^=
    i do the first one.

And, the company says I am one due to my training and different certifications.

Its just a title someone got instead of a raise. Its all comes down to is it working when you leave, you never fix anything because that is permanent.