Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts AyJayAreDii's Avatar

Re: Advice on training a trainee

Quote Originally Posted by DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS View Post
    Alternatively you could send him to the HQ so that he could 'idle about' in the workshop, this would gauge to see if he can develop any interest at all in the profession. Otherwise, judging from your post, he doesn't appear to be a 'tech material'.
    I think i will ask if they could book him into a hotel to stay in the workshop for a week. They are going to try and get him on the ricoh exams and probably konica and kyocera. As we have a fair spread of the 3 in the field. i printer out a load of diagrams of drums and Dev process. And expand it in a simple manner. It is just i got my training doing workshop refurbishments and install setups for about 7 months. Then i went into the field. So this out with the engineers training is new to me either way.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

im in the same boat. i have to hire a new tech very soon. i dont know anyone that is even remotely techie enough to hire. i was told to hire a complete green and train him myself. i was never trained in the normal sense. i rode with the boss for a month, was then given tools, a vacuum, and a stack of service tickets and was told good luck. i say give him a month then send him into the world. he will either sink or float. i just happened to be able to swim real good.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kei9tha View Post
    im in the same boat. i have to hire a new tech very soon. i dont know anyone that is even remotely techie enough to hire. i was told to hire a complete green and train him myself. i was never trained in the normal sense. i rode with the boss for a month, was then given tools, a vacuum, and a stack of service tickets and was told good luck. i say give him a month then send him into the world. he will either sink or float. i just happened to be able to swim real good.
    To either sink or float, drown or swim when thrown into the river or lake would again depend on one's attitude on the circumstance! The young men of these days, unlike us baby-boomers, have negative attitude towards work; they're only very good at 'get-rich-quick' schemes. Giving him training for only one month and then sending him into world, as you say can only boomerang on the hard earned reputation of your company which you might have painstakingly built over the years! A good starting point would be to deploy him in the workshop first to polish his skills...that is if at all, before sending him into the field. This would give you ample time to observe his capabilities.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kei9tha View Post

You may not find someone with copy skills, but someone who has done HVAC or auto mechanics knows how to use tools and understands troubleshooting process. Don't hire someone who has never used tools to make a living.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I'm getting ready to hire my grandson. When he was younger 6-8 years old I'd bring home old copiers and have him "tear em down". Just get use to the tools and the various parts. I made it fun for him. Now when I train him I think I will train him the way I would like to be trained.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Advice on training a trainee

Quote Originally Posted by wester View Post
    I'm getting ready to hire my grandson. When he was younger 6-8 years old I'd bring home old copiers and have him "tear em down". Just get use to the tools and the various parts. I made it fun for him. Now when I train him I think I will train him the way I would like to be trained.
    It sounds like a great way to start. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wester View Post
    That was then, but is he still interested in 'tearing things down!'

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AyJayAreDii View Post
    Hi guys,

I have been tasked with taking out a young trainee, I have never done this before and was wondering if any of you have done so. I have a young lad out of school who has no techical experiences either from collage or hobbies, (I know we all have to start somewhere) who I have to take around customers and "show him the ropes"

The problem is that he has almost no experience with tools, he is passing the theory off as too hard before he has even tried to think about it, he is not very inquisitive and he looks board most of the time. our workshop/HQ is too far for him to travel to, and I don't get much quite time to sit with him and talk as I am a walker in London.

I want to get him involved so he doesn't lose interest, but anything I try and show him seems to intense for him at the moment. I have asked for an old machine from the workshop to be brought down to our local sales office so I can take out all the units in order for him and go though the processes., but still waiting on that. And no word on a course just yet for him but they said that they are going to.

Any advice anyone? Or if anyone has any useful documents for training that would be great.
    "I have been tasked with taking out a young trainee, I have never done this before and was wondering if any of you have done so."

--A single bullet to the back of the head should do the trick!--no....just kidding!!!

As they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink!...You must ignite/instill in him the desire to learn!...That being said, does he have the willpower to pick up the screwdriver and get to work learning!...The rubber must meet the road sometime!...usually sooner than later!!!

PS--Even before I touched a machine, I had to read a basic manual about the theory even before I touched a machine...only then after reading and doing, did it make sense...GOOD LUCK!!! A good way to get him start is with basic troubleshooting...finding a squeak and lubricating it, why is a machine jamming, etc.....

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Advice on training a trainee

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post

PS-- ... A good way to get him start is with basic troubleshooting...finding a squeak and lubricating it, why is a machine jamming, etc.....
    Even better, start him on new machine setups. There are written instructions that any monkey can follow, even me. And he can begin to get acquainted with the various parts. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts mbcruzin's Avatar

Is there a book or manual on how to train the new guy? Cause I need one. All the copier 101 courses can show them theory, but it's trouble shooting I have a hard time with. Some people understand me while others have no clue. They can take a machine apart and replace what I tell them to. However they couldn't free themselves from a paper bag if it was stapled closed.

How or when do you say this kid has it? When do you say he doesn't?