Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Technician

Re: Advice on training a trainee

you are wasting time on the wrong candidate. never coarse people to learn. motivation is good if the person has interest. "you can take a cow to the river but you cannot force it to drink"

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

What I know is that employers are looking for people who are: Self driven, have positive attitudes towards work. Employers have money to train workers, but what they cannot change is someone's attitude, which is really a personal choice. Show a willingness to learn and the capability to think outside the box, i.e are you trainable, do you have any traits of creativity? Basically any employer would be looking for change makers, hospitable, confident persons of value and morals, NOT A time waster! Therefore, how you sell yourself to the employer really determines whether you will be hired or not.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbcruzin View Post
    Is there a book or manual on how to train the new guy? Cause I need one. All the copier 101 courses can show them theory, but it's trouble shooting I have a hard time with. Some people understand me while others have no clue. They can take a machine apart and replace what I tell them to. However they couldn't free themselves from a paper bag if it was stapled closed.

How or when do you say this kid has it? When do you say he doesn't?

When I was hired, management all left for the cruise they got with the new contract. I had 2 weeks to kill. The field service guides were boring to me. I found some old analog machines and played with them. I had 1 that worked, and another of the same model that jammed. I removed the covers to compare. Noticed the reg clutch on one was not moving. I swapped them and it worked! My first repair on my own.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Advice on training a trainee

On my first day, the manager started by showing us the setup of a new Mita DC-1205. He was a little nervous, and forgot to prime the selenium tellurium drum. When he powered it up in service mode the drum blade immediately wrapped, and the drum drive gear in the main drive pack spun on the "D" shaped shaft. Once he got over his chagrin, he said: "Well now you've got something to fix! Here are the manuals. Figure it out." The two of us newbies spent the rest of the day figuring it out. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts mbcruzin's Avatar

After my 90 grace period. I was the only one left out of the five new hires. My service manager had given me a list of machines that need to be fixed in the shop. I came to realize that these were the test machines my fellow newbies failed on. So one by one I fixed them. Till I got to a box full of parts. It was a Minolta Di 151 completely torn down to the base frame. I looked at my service manger and said what should I do? With a smile he handed me the parts guide and service manual for that machine. Fix it he said as he walked out. well after about two days of trial and error. The machine was back together and a faulty paper transport clutch had been replaced. They gave me a tool bag, pager and a stack of tickets for the field after that. Then a new group of fresh new hires came in.

Technician

your time is very valuable, in fact is the most precious thing you have in the world because it is finite, not wasted on the wrong people.