Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts alex@wocltd.com's Avatar

Lack of candour.....

Why aren't there are suitable candidates?

Broad question I grant you but based near London (Heathrow) regardless of how we throw our net for recruitment (adverts,job centres,job fairs,word of mouth,web site,pressgang) - the general lack of a) candidates b) and what candidates do appear seem purely to apply to get job seekers allowance

Using agencies is short term and short lived as they charged you 2/3k for recruitment and then approach the candidate 18 months later........

Any suggestions? and why are no engineers approaching companies independently? back in the day at all of the previous outfits we always received random c.v's

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: Lack of candour.....

Old saying...

Some people won't answer the door when opportunity knocks, because he's dressed in work clothes.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Lack of candour.....

quite a few of the techs i know have been so fed up with the industry that they have left
    working and living in the London area is another possible reason the cost of living and salaries
    i have seen a few techs move up north from the south for a better life
    from what i have seen other companies offering it is not enough to tempt me out of the north

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

If you want a good tech instead of a trained monkey, you gotta have something to offer. I think some techs are tired of the factory atmosphere in the office machine repair industry. I know I was. The last big dealer I worked for started publishing weekly statistics for all the techs... along with goals and how we compared to the goals. I left. A lot of good techs have either gone indy or got into an obscure industry that pays more.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I don't know how much this will help, but for what it is worth you might try giving the "sink or swim" evaluation to the people that are only there to re-up for their dole. Have them actually work on equipment before you sign off on their forms.
    There's a tiny chance you might find a hidden gem then, and it could also make it less likely that the slackers will come back to bother you again.
    Sorry if that was a waste of time.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    If you want a good tech instead of a trained monkey, you gotta have something to offer. I think some techs are tired of the factory atmosphere in the office machine repair industry. I know I was. The last big dealer I worked for started publishing weekly statistics for all the techs... along with goals and how we compared to the goals. I left. A lot of good techs have either gone indy or got into an obscure industry that pays more.

When you turn it into a numbers game, people assume their job is to make their numbers look good.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Lack of candour.....

Not been terribly impressed with the quality of the applicants the last time we advertised for a tech, the pickings were very slim. It seems that the youngsters don't want to get toner under their nails these days, they just want to play with keyboards.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

I think its the money. I thought about working in the UK until i saw the salaries offered. I would be getting the same with the exchange rates but the cost of living is more than double.

The good techs in SA is getting more valuable day by day thanks to the new generation!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Lack of candour.....

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    The good techs in SA is getting more valuable day by day thanks to the new generation!
    Will you explain that theory to my boss? With 30 years experience in the trade I barely got a cost of living increase in my salary last year.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Will you explain that theory to my boss? With 30 years experience in the trade I barely got a cost of living increase in my salary last year.
    +1000000000