Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: SCAN TO FOLDER

Senior Tech 250+ Posts sharpmind's Avatar

SCAN TO FOLDER

Guys, any ideas why scan to folder is not working when the computer is connected to a virtual private network. Only printing is working but no scanning.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: SCAN TO FOLDER

The VPN may be blocking the SMB protocol.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

It's possible that the VPN is blocking SMB, but what kind of network setup are we looking at? Are print jobs able to work from both sides of the VPN (main office to the machine or just from the remote site to the machine)? Are the scan jobs going back to the main office, or staying at the remote location? Is the copier using a predefined account to access the SMB share, or does a user have to enter their credentials?

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    It's possible that the VPN is blocking SMB, but what kind of network setup are we looking at? Are print jobs able to work from both sides of the VPN (main office to the machine or just from the remote site to the machine)? Are the scan jobs going back to the main office, or staying at the remote location? Is the copier using a predefined account to access the SMB share, or does a user have to enter their credentials?
    If VPN is blocking the SMB scanning, how can we unblock it? Yesterday, I attended one call from a travel agency. There are two laptops in the office and are connected thru wireless network (IP range is 10.10.11.xx) and wired network(10.10.10.xx). The printer is connected to the wired network (IP range is 10.10.10.xx). The users can print but cannot scan in the machine if their laptops are connected to the wireless. Both users are using SABRE VPN. I told the users that scanning is not working because they are in VPN. They called the IT guy who configured the VPN and I told him that is the problem. He just came and he doesnt know also how to allow and configure SMB scanning.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SCAN TO FOLDER

How is the VPN implemented at the remote location, VPN software on the computers or VPN function on the router? I have encountered VPN software that all forms of files shares that are not from a domain user. Some will even block TWAIN. This is for security reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    How is the VPN implemented at the remote location, VPN software on the computers or VPN function on the router? I have encountered VPN software that all forms of files shares that are not from a domain user. Some will even block TWAIN. This is for security reasons.
    I am not sure whether the VPN is implemented
    in the computer or in the router. I just saw SABRE VPN icon in the computer. I'm sorry, I am not well familiar with VPN. I cannot check the VPN setting because I need to to log in as administrator.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

For SMB scanning, both the copier and workstations should be on the same ip scheme, 10.10.10.xx

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SCAN TO FOLDER

Quote Originally Posted by jonhiker View Post
    For SMB scanning, both the copier and workstations should be on the same ip scheme, 10.10.10.xx
    That is not correct. You only have to configure the subnet mask properly. For the network scheme mentioned the would be 255.255.0.0. I have a school district with eight campuses and the district office. Each has a different subnet, third octet is different. All shared folders are on a server at the district office and all MFP at the campuses are able to use SMB scan to the server.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

A crazy way around this might be to use an USB to network printserver, and configure the printserver on one IP range, and the scanner on the other.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    That is not correct. You only have to configure the subnet mask properly. For the network scheme mentioned the would be 255.255.0.0. I have a school district with eight campuses and the district office. Each has a different subnet, third octet is different. All shared folders are on a server at the district office and all MFP at the campuses are able to use SMB scan to the server.
    Actually, for just two concurrent subnets of 10.10.10.0/24 and 10.10.11.0/24, all you would need is a subnet mask of 255.255.254.0 since that gives you the entire range of 10.10.10.1 through 10.10.11.254 as available addresses.