Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Setup 'accounting' - Guest user (Black & White) vs. Elevated user (Colour) copying

Trying to setup a Ricoh MP 2503 SPF machine so it has two main users: Guest and Elevated.

• Guest User can only do Black & White copies
    • Elevated User can do what they want (no restrictions, i.e. they can do Colour)

Looked a bit into the online manual as well as playing about on the machine panel and Web Image Monitor but we still can't quite nail it.

Has anyone had any luck with setting up users this way on a Ricoh machine before?

thanks in advance

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Setup 'accounting' - Guest user (Black & White) vs. Elevated user (Colour) copying

Re: Setup 'accounting' - Guest user (Black & White) vs. Elevated user (Colour) copyin

This is very basic User Code settings. It is all done through User Authentication where you set what functions will require entry of a user code and address book where you set what each user code can access. Further information can be found in the Administrator Security manual, should be on the Manuals CD that came with the machine. There are also step by step instructions that can be found in the Global Knowledge Base. There might also be a Video Nugget that will illustrate the process.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Re: Setup 'accounting' - Guest user (Black & White) vs. Elevated user (Colour) copyin

Enter user tools (button with diamond and 123 on it)
    If there is a login icon at the top right of the touch screen then log in as admin (usually user name = admin, no password)
    Select address book management
    Press new program
    Press change under name, enter name required, then press OK
    Press the second tab (Auth Info)
    Enter the required user code and press #
    Scroll down to page 3/5 (I think), select which copier functions can be used by that user and press OK
    Press OK back to main address book page and follow the same procedure for the second user.
    Once you have done that, exit back to main user tools screen and select System Settings
    Go to page 2 and select User Authentication Management
    Select user codes
    Then highlight which copier functions you wish to restrict (i.e. all copying)
    Exit out of user tools, if you needed to log in then press the button on the right with a key symbol on it to log out as admin

Can you tell I've done this a few times
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    Can you tell I've done this a few times
    You bet!
    Debs....the 'human user guide'!

I forgot to add that when I set up these devices now, I remove the icon for address book management from the home screen, too many times I've found that users have added codes of their own with no name attached to them.
    That can be done in user tools, system settings, on the first page, edit home, remove icon
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    You bet!
    Debs....the 'human user guide'!
    Hey Debs can I give your number to some of my customers and have them ring you instead of me???????????????????????????
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    Hey Debs can I give your number to some of my customers and have them ring you instead of me???????????????????????????
    Sure, why not LOL, half the members of my team call me for assistance in setting up user codes

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I forgot to add that when I set up these devices now, I remove the icon for address book management from the home screen, too many times I've found that users have added codes of their own with no name attached to them.
    That can be done in user tools, system settings, on the first page, edit home, remove icon
    I believe that there is also a way to disable the "Prog Dest" button on the touch screen of the Scanning and FAX functions to prevent Adding entries to the address book through there.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I believe that there is also a way to disable the "Prog Dest" button on the touch screen of the Scanning and FAX functions to prevent Adding entries to the address book through there.
    I haven't come across that one, but I've never looked either, I'll have to see if I can find that

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I haven't come across that one, but I've never looked either, I'll have to see if I can find that
    It has been maybe a year but we had a customer who wanted tighter control over adding email addresses for security reasons.