Trusted Tech 50+ Posts andrewdecruz's Avatar

Ricoh Aficio 3045 - paper folded

Hi everyone. ..good day to you all😊

I have a Aficio 3045 which is giving me a nightmare. When printing from the 1st tray and bypass, the copies comes out absolutely fine. However, when doing the same on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tray the paper comes out folded about 2 inch from the top of the paper.
    Tried replacing the registration clutch and both the vertical transport clutch but the problem still remain. Am quite tempted to perform a "RAM Clear " but I heard that it is not advisable. Tried cleaning all the sensors along the paper feeding path but the problem still remains. From my analysis, the paper doesn't stop after reaching the registration roller, hence causing the fold. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Re: Ricoh Aficio 3045 - paper folded

Have you tried stopping the machine mid print to see where the fold is taking place?
    Press the GREEN button!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdecruz View Post
    Hi everyone. ..good day to you all😊

I have a Aficio 3045 which is giving me a nightmare. When printing from the 1st tray and bypass, the copies comes out absolutely fine. However, when doing the same on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tray the paper comes out folded about 2 inch from the top of the paper.
    Tried replacing the registration clutch and both the vertical transport clutch but the problem still remain. Am quite tempted to perform a "RAM Clear " but I heard that it is not advisable. Tried cleaning all the sensors along the paper feeding path but the problem still remains. From my analysis, the paper doesn't stop after reaching the registration roller, hence causing the fold. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Why would you perform a RAM clear? Doing this will only send you on a bumbling way to hell...

Is the link lever still attached in the right door? if not, try to removed the tension spring (22) and try to test copy. check the image for your reference. Good Luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    .....with all it shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.....

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

By transport clutches do you mean the feed and relay clutches?
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bob marley's Avatar

Check the vertical guide of the second paper feed unit
    Live for yourself and you will live in vain. Live for others, and you will live again

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Replaces the clutch AX20-0138 which drive the 1st and 2nd feed clutch .

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio 3045 - paper folded

Have you checked SP 1003-1, Registration Buckle for trays 2, 3, and 4. Other than that, once the lead edge of the paper get to the first relay roller, there are no differences between tray 1, the bypass tray and the other three trays. The only other cause could be that it is happening between the first and second relay rollers.

Smile Re: Ricoh Aficio 3045 - paper folded

Hi Guys,
    I got the problem solved after some hair raising moments! The problem lies with the Lever - Feed ( Part no : G065 2767 ) which is attached to the 2nd paper feed unit.

The paper fold happens when the paper doesn't stop after passing the vertical transport roller on the 2nd paper feed unit. This is because the Lever - Feed which is actually a one-way bearing, slips and continue to turn and feeds the paper to the registration roller and causes the fold.

As only the 2nd, 3rd and 4th paper feeding passes through this vertical transport path on the 2nd paper feed unit, it therefore makes sense that only paper feeding from the 1st paper tray unit and bypass was not affected.

After removing the 2nd paper feed unit, I found that the Lever - Feed ( one-way bearing) was coated with dirt and grease which I guess caused it to slip and exacerbate the paper fold.

Once again, thanks all for your speedy replies.

@ccchuah.....I remember some of your previous replies to my questions also helped me a great deal...you are such a genius. And btw, Penang is a nice place to be....I was there last weekend for a short vacation. Cheers mate.

Dear All,

I feel oblidged to correct my earlier reply regarding the problem of paper folded when using tray 2,3 and 4.

In my last reply I mentioned that the problem was solved after replacing the Lever-Feed ( part no :G065 2767 ). Apparently, that is not the case as the problem of paper folding resurfaced after a few hundred copies.

It appears that the folding happened very intermittently, which explains why after replacing the Lever-Feed it seemed to be ok.

The actual caused of the problem was found to be the clutch ( part no AX20-0138 ) which drives the 1st and 2nd feed clutch. Once again, CCChuah....you were right.

A point to note is that both the registration and this clutch share the same part number.

Once again, thanks for all your help and replies.
    I am now a happy man!

CHEERS!!