Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: MP301 - installing IEEE 802.11 (WIFI)

As added info, with the Ricoh wireless, it is "married" to the machine...meaning you can't separate it and optimize its placement for best reception/transmission. That being said, if you are in a building that has metal framework/studs, the wireless is only going to have an optimal 90 degree field of signal view on the rear left of the machine...it will have to be oriented with the antenna facing towards the wireless router!

Remember, the guts of the MFP are largely a metal latticework which wreaks havoc with wireless signal!

Now that I have tried it, I prefer the netgear wireless to ethernet bridge since you can get the wifi transceiver up and away from your MFP for optimal signal strength!

Another reason I like Netgear products is their MIMO Beamforming technology:

All about beamforming, the faster Wi-Fi you didn't know you needed | PCWorld

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP301 - installing IEEE 802.11 (WIFI)

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    Interesting...

Netgear WN2000RPT Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender - Walmart.com

Same price as the one I posted, but the one I posted already has the built in ethernet ports!

DOH!!!

PS--would be interesting to compare the performance of the two devices side by side!...I suspect the one with the built in ethernet ports would do much better since the switch to port circuitry is already integrate into the device without having to rely on anything external to it, such as external switch electronics!
    One question, does the WN2000RPT come with a CAT5 cable to connect to your first wire device? The WNCE2001 does. Everything that you need to use it with a MFP is in the box. In can also be Velcro attached to the back of the machine. Setup is easy as long as you know the information needed to connect to the existing wireless:
    1. Turn off your internal laptop wireless and remove any other network connections
    2. Connect the WNCE2001 to your laptop
    3. Launch your browser
    4. Follow the on screen directions selecting the wireless router from the list of those detected and entrer the access code
    5. Connect the WNCE2001 to the MFP.

The only problem I have had is one doctor with one at his home. Every six months or so he replaces his wireless router.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Glad it helped, it's good to know if I ever have to install one on an MP301
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    One question, does the WN2000RPT come with a CAT5 cable to connect to your first wire device? The WNCE2001 does. Everything that you need to use it with a MFP is in the box. In can also be Velcro attached to the back of the machine. Setup is easy as long as you know the information needed to connect to the existing wireless:
    1. Turn off your internal laptop wireless and remove any other network connections
    2. Connect the WNCE2001 to your laptop
    3. Launch your browser
    4. Follow the on screen directions selecting the wireless router from the list of those detected and entrer the access code
    5. Connect the WNCE2001 to the MFP.

The only problem I have had is one doctor with one at his home. Every six months or so he replaces his wireless router.
    The WN2000RPTv3 (version 3) does not come with any ethernet cable in the box!...I don't mind since I usually have to make a custom length cable anyway!...and about mounting the bridge onto the back of the machine, I would prefer not to do that as the machine metal framework would act as a grounded shield and thus blocking/interfering with the signal!

About the doctor...why would he need/want to replace his wireless router every 6 months?!....does it keep destroying itself?!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I agree with slimslob (again ) The WNCE2001 bridge is the way to go for wireless. 50.00 bucks at Best Buy, configures easy, works like a champ. There is ZERO need to buy ANY OEM wireless card nowadays.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Just an FYI,

If you are using @Remote to generate service calls, you can almost be assured that any machine with the built in wireless will be phoning home because it frequently loses connection...quite annoying, at best.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by logrady2331 View Post
    I agree with slimslob (again ) The WNCE2001 bridge is the way to go for wireless. 50.00 bucks at Best Buy, configures easy, works like a champ. There is ZERO need to buy ANY OEM wireless card nowadays.
    Been using these for a while now, even use 1 at home. Their great!!!!!!!! Ebay for non OEM packaging, $25 USD...................

and yes at home the switch is used in conjunction with it.................
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    /About the doctor...why would he need/want to replace his wireless router every 6 months?!....does it keep destroying itself?!

First he had AT&T using a 3Wire DSL modem. When that failed he changed to BrightHouse high speed cable with built in wireless on the cable modem. A month or so ago he change back to AT&T using Uverse, again with built in wireless. Each time he changed, the installer said to just leave the default settings and gave the access code. It never ceases to amazing how IT people can replace a DSL, cable modem or router without checking to see if the customer has any fixed IP devices on the network. Occasionally have to go out and change IP address of a machine and in the drivers at each computer when the subnet gets changed. I had one doctor who like to think that he knew about networks and was constantly changing things. Ended up putting the MFP on DHCP and set the computers to print using NETBios name instead of IP address.

Oh, and by the way, buying or making a network cable does add to your cost.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    First he had AT&T using a 3Wire DSL modem. When that failed he changed to BrightHouse high speed cable with built in wireless on the cable modem. A month or so ago he change back to AT&T using Uverse, again with built in wireless. Each time he changed, the installer said to just leave the default settings and gave the access code. It never ceases to amazing how IT people can replace a DSL, cable modem or router without checking to see if the customer has any fixed IP devices on the network. Occasionally have to go out and change IP address of a machine and in the drivers at each computer when the subnet gets changed. I had one doctor who like to think that he knew about networks and was constantly changing things. Ended up putting the MFP on DHCP and set the computers to print using NETBios name instead of IP address.

Oh, and by the way, buying or making a network cable does add to your cost.
    I make short network cable on rainy days when it's slow!

Regarding the combined modem routers, I completely dislike them....why? for the very same reason you are having problems...it's an AIO (All In One) device!...if the modem lets out the magic smoke, then you're out of a wired/wireless router too! I much prefer the separate device route...currently I have a Motorola DOCSIS 3 cable modem that I purchased myself...has only two ports...comcast cable and GigE port...my wired/wireless router is a netgear also with GigE ports all around.

If my Motorola modem craps out, I buy a new one, plug it up, call comcast with the Mac ID of the modem and my account number and voila!...back to work again!

If my netgear wired/wireless router pops, Ima gettin' a Nighthawk!:

NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wireless Router R8000-100NAS - Newegg.com