Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Re: Aficio MP-C5502 ADF problemo

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Actually, no, the motors won't run in service mode if the actuator doesn't properly actuate the sensor. It's a safety feature that no motors will run unless the document feeder and all of its covers are closed or the safety interlocks are cheated.

That being said, while I am not sure about that document feeder, some document feeders use two sensors on that actuator. One is to tell the machine the document feeder is almost closed so the machine will do the prescan you described, which is only for detecting the size of your original document on the platen glass. The second sensor tells the machine when the document feeder is fully closed and it is OK to run the motors in the document feeder.

I have also seen the sensors be in different locations, too. So you might want to look in to that if you haven't already.

One other thing - I think the 24V signal to the motors is ground switched, so there is a small chance there is a broken wire that provides the ground to the document feeder or something. If that is so, you would still measure 24V at the appropriate test points, but as the motors never received ground they would never run. Let's hope that's not the case though, as testing wiring harnesses is tedious work.
    There are 2 sensors, this has caught me out, when checked in input mode you are testing the one on the left, the one near the right hinge has a spring on it, it should be on the scanner and actuates a sensor located within the adf
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Aficio MP-C5502 ADF problemo

a big THANK YOU to all respondents, your input is invaluable & very much appreciated

i'll pop back out there tomorrow & check everything mentioned

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I realize this thread is quite old but wondering if you resolved the issue and what it was. I'm traveling about an hour to check an adf on a C3502 tomorrow with same symptoms and would like to try to resolve in one trip. Thanks!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
    I realize this thread is quite old but wondering if you resolved the issue and what it was. I'm traveling about an hour to check an adf on a C3502 tomorrow with same symptoms and would like to try to resolve in one trip. Thanks!
    very near the right hand hinge is a photosensor which detects if the ADF is up or down, it was faulty, the ADF thought it was open and all functions were disabled

since then, i have seen the same photosensor actuator arm either dislodged or broken

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Looks like Debs had the right call. Good job Debs!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    Looks like Debs had the right call. Good job Debs!
    I miss Debs. She's not made a post in a year.
    I hope everything's ok

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for the response(s). Went yesterday and checked/cleaned all sensors and connectors and so far so good. Wishing a copier free weekend to all