Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Aficio MP-C5502 ADF problemo

Hello people

i have an MP-C5502 fitted with a single pass ADF (part number D144)

no motors on the document feeder work, but all the sensors work - in service mode, i can check all sensors & they work fine, but in normal operating mode & in service mode, none of the motors work

no error codes are reported

i checked all the voltages on the ADF main board,, i have 3.3 volts, 5 volts, 12 volts & 24 volts at the appropriate test points

has anyone seen this problem before?? i'm presuming the ADF main board is bad, however i hope i can get some pointers from the crew here

also, does anyone have service/parts documentation for this document feeder?

please help

thanks in advance !

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Re: Aficio MP-C5502 ADF problemo

Check the actuator at the rear right of the scanner that tells the machine that the df is in the lowered position, I wouldn't mind guessing the actuator is missing and the machine thinks the df is raised
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    Check the actuator at the rear right of the scanner that tells the machine that the df is in the lowered position, I wouldn't mind guessing the actuator is missing and the machine thinks the df is raised
    thanks for the tip, however ALL sensors work - the machine recognises when the ADF lid is opened, the scanner moves & the lamp lights up when you raise the whole ADF

p.s. even if the actuator was faulty, the motors would still work in service mode, yet they do not,,, not even the stamp works

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Has this machine always had this DF fitted?
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Has this machine always had this DF fitted?
    sure has

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Hmm... I suppose it's not unheard of for the DF mainboard to go bad but it's failed in a very specific way to lose all motor function. When you print off a configuration page and SMC do they both show the correct DF model is fitted and had anyone accidentally flashed the wrong firmware and toasted it?
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Hmm... I suppose it's not unheard of for the DF mainboard to go bad but it's failed in a very specific way to lose all motor function. When you print off a configuration page and SMC do they both show the correct DF model is fitted and had anyone accidentally flashed the wrong firmware and toasted it?
    from what the client tells me, it worked fine before it was transported - however this is the first time i've seen this machine

when i open the DF lid, the machine tells me to close it - when i lift the DF the scanner moves & lamp lights, indicating the machine knows the unit is there - also if i disconnect the DF with the machine powered it gives an error code

also in service mode/peripherals/1 pass ADF/ADF input check: the machine recognises sensor inputs correctly - when i go into output checks & try to free-run or operate a motor, the ON button works when i touch it, but nothing happens

could i have corrupt firmware?

the configuration page doesn't appear to show the DF,,, i've scanned the config page fyi - can you interpret the firmware info listed therein?

MP C5502A.pdf

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aAandy View Post
    from what the client tells me, it worked fine before it was transported - however this is the first time i've seen this machine

when i open the DF lid, the machine tells me to close it - when i lift the DF the scanner moves & lamp lights, indicating the machine knows the unit is there - also if i disconnect the DF with the machine powered it gives an error code

also in service mode/peripherals/1 pass ADF/ADF input check: the machine recognises sensor inputs correctly - when i go into output checks & try to free-run or operate a motor, the ON button works when i touch it, but nothing happens

could i have corrupt firmware?

the configuration page doesn't appear to show the DF,,, i've scanned the config page fyi - can you interpret the firmware info listed therein?

MP C5502A.pdf
    That is the configuration page for the printer function only. Try the SMC Diagnostic report SP 5990-005. That shows all the firmware versions. Try checking voltage levels at the connectors for the motors. My guess is that you have a blown trace or open solder joint causing the motor driver chips to be missing one side of the power input.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aAandy View Post
    p.s. even if the actuator was faulty, the motors would still work in service mode, yet they do not,,, not even the stamp works
    Actually, no, the motors won't run in service mode if the actuator doesn't properly actuate the sensor. It's a safety feature that no motors will run unless the document feeder and all of its covers are closed or the safety interlocks are cheated.

That being said, while I am not sure about that document feeder, some document feeders use two sensors on that actuator. One is to tell the machine the document feeder is almost closed so the machine will do the prescan you described, which is only for detecting the size of your original document on the platen glass. The second sensor tells the machine when the document feeder is fully closed and it is OK to run the motors in the document feeder.

I have also seen the sensors be in different locations, too. So you might want to look in to that if you haven't already.

One other thing - I think the 24V signal to the motors is ground switched, so there is a small chance there is a broken wire that provides the ground to the document feeder or something. If that is so, you would still measure 24V at the appropriate test points, but as the motors never received ground they would never run. Let's hope that's not the case though, as testing wiring harnesses is tedious work.

Technician

Check APS Start Sensor, located at the rear of ADF, next to the right hinge assy.