Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: MPC305 Add toner and faded colors

Dealt with this problem for eons now. I think Ricoh has finally gotten it rectified, but you won't like what the repair is. The toner hoppers and pcdu's have all been updated. The updates are for toner flow. My recommendation is to do the update for the affected color channel. Doing all 4 at once would be too expensive to justify. Also there is an SP setting to change the toner empty setting from bottle rotation to TD sensor which we have gone to. Seems to help quite a bit.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    MPC305 Add toner and faded colors

Could you share the SP setting pls, cheers
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Could you share the SP setting pls, cheers

One sp primarily

SP3100-002 set to 1.

Technician

Funny thing about this machine, I replaced the fuser since the pages were wrinkling as well I figured that had to be the cause. The load toner message hasn't come back but after replacing the fuser a couple days ago the customer called me back saying the pages are still wrinkling coming out. Anytime I see pages coming out wrinkled I always think fuser but maybe I picked wrong, the test pattern did come out clearer and not as spotty as before. I'll double check the paper path and everything else tomorrow.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robertgst View Post
    Funny thing about this machine, I replaced the fuser since the pages were wrinkling as well I figured that had to be the cause. The load toner message hasn't come back but after replacing the fuser a couple days ago the customer called me back saying the pages are still wrinkling coming out. Anytime I see pages coming out wrinkled I always think fuser but maybe I picked wrong, the test pattern did come out clearer and not as spotty as before. I'll double check the paper path and everything else tomorrow.
    For what it is worth, the print defects on your pictures looked almost nothing like what I'd expect to see from a machine with a bad fuser. But that's just me.
    If the wrinkled areas have no image on them it could be happening where the image is transferred to the paper. Or the registration rollers. I haven't seen that in a while, but I have seen it.
    Also it could be the paper that has too much curl. Usually there is a folded corner on the lead edge of the paper if that is the case. In case that is the problem, you might try flipping the paper over in the paper tray and see if anything changes, it's faster and cheaper than a fuser.
    A somewhat marginal observation on the recovery of the machine: if you rebooted the machine when you installed the new fuser, there could have been some sort of power outage or surge at the location where the machine is at earlier. That could have caused the machine to print badly until it was rebooted. I could be full of baloney, but I've seen power problems causing weird things to happen enough times that I thought I'd include this here, too.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

It seems this model wrinkles the paper from new, seen it so many times, new fuser doesn't help.
    This is a paper issue, either damp or poor quality. I've been telling my customers to use 100gsm this has resolved the issue.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

copierman 250+ Posts

I have had a call for the exact images shown on the first post, mainly the magenta looks washed out and the cyan aint too good either, i have run forced toner which improved it very slightly. Is this possibly a problem with both cyan AND Magenta hoppers?
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Not a fan of these little POS's at all. A customer running any type of color volume is likely not to be happy at all, but then you get what you paid for.

At any rate, just add my observations on these from the good posts so far that covered many issues, the other thing you have to watch out for is the transfer/sep roller assembly on these. There are two main issues I have found.

First, the mylar right below the roller (but still part of the assembly) likes to get dinged up. This can cause paper jams, skewing, and/or paper creasing from the fuser.

Secondly, the plastic pieces that push the roller assembly into the correct position are easily broken by the customer slamming the side door shut. These pieces are actually attached to the transfer belt unit assembly. They will serve to push the roller assembly up and into the correct position when the door is shut. When one is broken, you may have intermittent jams, uneven transfer, and perhaps some skewing. When both are broken, you are likely to have jamming and/or light image transfer.