Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

mpc3000 defaults to manual exposure on colour copies

Guys,
    So here I am given instructions to tart-up a second hand mpc3000 to go out. End result, colour test print looks great, the colour photocopy of it looked like crap (dark, heavy background). Changed lens assembly and exposure lamp/lamp PCB, same crap copy. Then realised that when on default panel setting of b/w and 'auto' exposure, when selecting 'colour' the exposure defaults to 'manual' rather than 'auto', and when lightening by one or two steps the copy looked fine, or when selecting 'auto' exposure again looked fine.

My question is, why does the 'colour' setting default to colour, and for the life of me, I could not find anywhere in the SP's where you can change to 'auto' default when selecting 'colour' !!, or how to adjust the 'manual' setting to default to lighter level, either of which would have solved the immediate problem. In the old days there was a simple ADS level adjustment. How do I change these ? And yes, I know that I can program 'auto' to colour copies and set as default, but default has to stay as the b/w setting.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: mpc3000 defaults to manual exposure on colour copies

Get the settings the way you want them. Press the program button. Press "Program as Default" follow prompts on the screen.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

As I said, yes you can program the settings as you want them and "program as default"as you say, BUT, then you will default to "colour" always. The initial screen default needs to stay on B/W, but when press for 'colour', it should be defaulted to 'auto' not manual (or an adjusted lower level of manual).

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andy227 View Post
    As I said, yes you can program the settings as you want them and "program as default"as you say, BUT, then you will default to "colour" always. The initial screen default needs to stay on B/W, but when press for 'colour', it should be defaulted to 'auto' not manual (or an adjusted lower level of manual).
    I'm pretty sure you can change that in the "Copy" section of "User Tools". But I haven't done that in a while, so I'm not sure. Still, for user facing setting issues it would be more productive to start with "User Tools" rather than "SP" mode.
    Sorry if that was a waste of time.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I'm not sure you will be able to manipulate the panel screen settings as you are hoping without setting it to be the default settings as you already know how to do.

My question would be, why is it dark in the first place? Have you done the copy and print colour calibration in user tools maintenance? Are you working with the same test sample or changing it up to see if it reacts the same? Does it do the same from the adf and the exposure glass?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You can try it and then switch back to B/W and again set defaults. Switch to Color again and see if the auto density is still set for color.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can change that in the "Copy" section of "User Tools". But I haven't done that in a while, so I'm not sure. Still, for user facing setting issues it would be more productive to start with "User Tools" rather than "SP" mode.
    Sorry if that was a waste of time.
    It is in the Copy/Document Server Reference Manual. If you need the manual go to your regional site, ricoh-usa.com for the US, and download it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

My question would be, why is it dark in the first place?
    wish I knew. After changing the items I mentioned, there is a deeper issue which I have not the time to solve, but found a workaround. The usual calibrations etc have been done , yes.

You can try it and then switch back to B/W and again set defaults. Switch to Color again and see if the auto density is still set for color.
    You can only program ONE default setting.

It is in the Copy/Document Server Reference Manual. If you need the manual go to your regional site, ricoh-usa.com for the US, and download it
    I have the manuals, but as I said, they do not cover this issue.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

I don't suppose the birth certificate is with the machine or do you have another 2500 or 3000 about to compare the gamma and scannet settings with? Could just be the settings have drifted. You could also try a memory clear on the copier application.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I have the manuals, but as I said, they do not cover this issue.
    User Tools - Copy/ Document Server Reference - General Features - Auto Image Density Priority

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I've posted the solution to this background problem several times. The gray balance setting in the NVRAM is corrupted. From the Knowledge Base......

[Symptom]
    Background when ADS Mode is turned Off
    In Full Color the background is a process black, In Black and White mode the background is gray. With ADS on there is no evident backgrounding. When ADS is turned off and exposure is at the center setting, backgrounding is exhibited. Print Jobs and internal prints do not have background

[Cause]
    The gray balance adjustment NV RAM Data has been corrupted and has reverted to the default value

[Resolution]
    Reset the value of SP 4685 - 001 and 002, SP4686 - 001 and 002 and SP4687 - 001 and 002 to the value on the Factory Data Sheet.(Located under Jam Instruction Sheet on the Front Cover)
    If the Factory Data Sheet is not available try starting with these settings and fine tuning as needed.

• SP4685-001 to -26
    • SP4685-002 to -26
    • SP4686-001 to -6
    • SP4686-002 to -6
    • SP4687-001 to -16
    • SP4687-002 to -16