Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Need help with Word Perfect

Upgraded a customer to a MPC4503 from a MPC4500. I don't know much of Word Perfect but they showed me when creating a document, they have these codes that you can insert into the doc that tells the printer you want to print on certain size paper and type (in this case on letter, type letterhead, tray 2). On the 4500 it would automatically do so picking tray 2 which is set to letterhead and letter. On the 4503 however it will not select letterhead or letter. It will want to print to tray 2, it just asks for plain/recycled and custom size.

I've tried switching from pcl6 to pcl5 and same issue happens. I did get it to work by creating a preset within the pcl 6 menu but the customer says "they shouldn't have to do this". Any help?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Need help with Word Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by eescamilla View Post
    Upgraded a customer to a MPC4503 from a MPC4500. I don't know much of Word Perfect but they showed me when creating a document, they have these codes that you can insert into the doc that tells the printer you want to print on certain size paper and type (in this case on letter, type letterhead, tray 2). On the 4500 it would automatically do so picking tray 2 which is set to letterhead and letter. On the 4503 however it will not select letterhead or letter. It will want to print to tray 2, it just asks for plain/recycled and custom size.

I've tried switching from pcl6 to pcl5 and same issue happens. I did get it to work by creating a preset within the pcl 6 menu but the customer says "they shouldn't have to do this". Any help?
    Good Luck with your Quest!...I totally DESPISE Word Perfect!...why???...I have had issues (in a lawyer's office...they absolutely *love* Word Perfect!...for whatever reason, I don't know!) where when a system print driver was locked down to only print black & white, the print settings in Word Perfect would OVERRIDE the black & white default and print in color!!!...DOH!

This may be an issue that THEY have to direct to Word Perfect Support, especially if it is a function of the Word Perfect Program itself!...If you have determined that it is not a fault of the print driver in and of itself, you need to bow out and say the "buck stops here"!...you can waste alot of time on program specific problems!

Case in point...we have a local tire service center that has invoice software (independent developer!) that prints out graphics on the invoice. Long story short, they were getting charged for color because *their* program which was using greyscale JPEG's was forcing the printer to print process (CMYK) B&W even though the system print driver was defaulted to B&W! Fix was to change the graphics to 2 bit strict B&W bitmapped (.bmp) graphic!...*fixed* it in photoshop!...DOH!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

We're going back a few years so my memory is a little foggy, but I had a similar instance with a client using WP. They were printing to an MP161 with letterhead in Tray 1.
    I can't remember exactly how I resolved it, but I managed to, with a bunch of trial and error. I even got myself a copy of WP to install on my PC, and had the exact same problem -proving that it was a software issue and NOT the machine!
    It seemed to just ignore any preferences I selected prior to printing.

I think the end result was something like installing a separate copy of the print driver, locking all settings in printer properties to the corresponding tray and naming the printer "Letterhead" printer, similar to what you've done, but maybe a bit more convenient for the end user (?)

The bottom line is that it's a software problem or limitation - and they'll have to live with it whatever the workaround is for their particular model

NOTE: You do have the "Letterhead" tray, set to letterhead setting, correct?

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    Case in point...we have a local tire service center that has invoice software (independent developer!) that prints out graphics on the invoice. Long story short, they were getting charged for color because *their* program which was using greyscale JPEG's was forcing the printer to print process (CMYK) B&W even though the system print driver was defaulted to B&W! Fix was to change the graphics to 2 bit strict B&W bitmapped (.bmp) graphic!...*fixed* it in photoshop!...DOH!

Just another thought on this topic....I've had a couple of clients that didn't want to go the "user code" route particularly, but wanted me to disable colour printing to certain individuals, so I simply installed a B&W printer driver on the PC instead of the colour model.
    Maybe this would have helped resolve your issue too? Even though, I agree that the DAMN software should just respond to driver commands!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

User Tools - Printer Features
    Under paper settings,set tray 2 for driver/command instead of machine.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

I agree with Slimslob :
    I've never played with Word-Perfect software to find out for sure, though I believe setting the MFD for driver/commands
    should able it to respond to the PCL codes sent from the PC software.

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I kind of wish there was a 'Dislike' button (kidding) - Only because of the amount of time I spent on this trying to find the solution, and you're probably right on the money with the simple FIX!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post

I will try this out this week thanks

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I agree with SlimSlob's suggestion, but if it doesn't work...

It's not available for the newer machines, but try either the PCL5 or 6 (preferably 5) mini driver,

The C4500 mini driver is available, and should work. (Notice the should part...)

It's a very lightweight driver without the fluff.

WordPerfect insists on doing the proverbial driving, and the mini driver seems to listen.

I had a law firm a few years back with a similar situation. Their WordPerfect jobs called for simplex and duplex in the same job. The PCL 5 mini driver worked great.

Disclaimer: I have also noticed that the PCL interpreter of the newer machines are different compared to the older ones: a lot of tricks that worked before no longer do. I had a customer who printed from DOS to an 01 machine, and the same jobs failed on the 03 (long story on that one).

The rules of PCL do change from time to time. Ricoh is not being difficult, they are simply keeping up with the changes.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I think I need to send a *n@$tygr@m* tellin' 'em to get their *sh!znit* together and clean their software up!!!

It's just ridiculous that you have to go through so many settings just get WP to print correctly!...and consistently!