Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

SMB Versions Explained

I'm wondering if anyone has a list of what Windows OS work with what Sharp and Ricoh models, as far as SMB scanning goes? I'm curious because we have been seeing a lot of MFPs not working with Windows 8, Windows 10, and Windows Server 2012.

Does this have to do with SMB versions, and/or the level of encryption?

(I know firmware updates can fix many of these SMB compatibility issues, but it would be extremely helpful if there was some type of list out there)

Thank you in advance!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SMB Versions Explained

Re: SMB Versions Explained

Yes. Windows 8/Server 2012 introduced SMB 3. Firmware updates are needed to use scan to SMB. Other option is to use scan to FTP.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Yes. Windows 8/Server 2012 introduced SMB 3. Firmware updates are needed to use scan to SMB. Other option is to use scan to FTP.
    The problem with FTP is some of our customers are stubborn and want to use SMB only. Speaking of FTP, what other software besides Filezilla is commonly used for scanning?

Any idea on a list that Sharp or Ricoh has put out about SMB versions on each model?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    SMB Versions Explained

Quote Originally Posted by RicohSharpBoy View Post
    The problem with FTP is some of our customers are stubborn and want to use SMB only. Speaking of FTP, what other software besides Filezilla is commonly used for scanning?

Any idea on a list that Sharp or Ricoh has put out about SMB versions on each model?
    Slimslob pretty much summed it up. A list isn't necessary, because it's just understood:
    Machines introduced prior to Windows 8 need firmware for Win8/10. Or, If a customer upgrades to Win8/10 and scanning ceases to function - it needs firmware.

Your customers are stubborn? Curious, how using FTP affects them? The operation, from their perspective, is exactly the same, and is often easier to manage from yours. For example, in cases where account passwords change regularly.
    To me, Filezilla is the simplest/easiest to setup, and I've not had a moment's problem with it.
    I've messed around with Xlight, in the past. The interface is quite similar to Filezilla, but configuration is not nearly as easy imo

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Related to your question, here is a page from Microsoft explaining the differences in SMB over the past few versions of Windows: Windows Server 2012 R2: Which version of the SMB protocol (SMB 1.0, SMB 2.0, SMB 2.1, SMB 3.0 or SMB 3.02) are you using? - Jose Barreto's Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs Generally, the security and performance get stronger.

Technician

Thank you all for your replies. A lot of helpful information here!

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Slimslob pretty much summed it up. A list isn't necessary, because it's just understood:
    Machines introduced prior to Windows 8 need firmware for Win8/10. Or, If a customer upgrades to Win8/10 and scanning ceases to function - it needs firmware.

Your customers are stubborn? Curious, how using FTP affects them? The operation, from their perspective, is exactly the same, and is often easier to manage from yours. For example, in cases where account passwords change regularly.
    To me, Filezilla is the simplest/easiest to setup, and I've not had a moment's problem with it.
    I've messed around with Xlight, in the past. The interface is quite similar to Filezilla, but configuration is not nearly as easy imo
    I should have been more specific...

I'm not referring to your basic non-IT office worker having a problem with FTP. They don't know the difference between SMB and FTP. It's those times when you work with a customer's IT department, and they don't want to use FTP scanning for whatever reasons (security is a big one).

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    SMB Versions Explained

I'm not referring to your basic non-IT office worker having a problem with FTP. They don't know the difference between SMB and FTP. It's those times when you work with a customer's IT department, and they don't want to use FTP scanning for whatever reasons (security is a big one).
    Here's the link for the how to disable smb v1,v2.or v3: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

The newest is v3 thats what has caused all the pain from MicroSh!t................
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SMB Versions Explained

In other words they are too lazy to set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    Here's the link for the how to disable smb v1,v2.or v3: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

The newest is v3 thats what has caused all the pain from MicroSh!t................
    Most of the work around have seen for forcing Windows 8 to use pre 3.0 SMB do not always work, or they work until Microsoft sends out a security update.

Hi, don't know if this will help anybody, but I found the following.......and can now scan to Windows 10, using SMB on a Ricoh MPC2800 in the workshop. I was looking for a fix for Konica Minolta Bizhub C280.....this also works!!!!

For some reason, still struggling to get it to work on a MPC2500.

SMB Scan to folder in Win 10 evaluation copy. - Microsoft Community

Scan to folder works with the following settings.

Your network connection type has to be set to Private.
    The advanced sharing settings have to be set to: network discovery "on", file and printer sharing "on",
    public files can be seen by all on network "on" and
    turn off password protected sharing (Ricoh machines only send the login info once, not at every level.)

The folder properties must be set to: ready to archive (advanced button on the general tab,)
    advanced sharing permissions to allow everyone full control.

I hope this helps. Ian